Quantcast

I guess this is what happens....

Liquid Fl0w$

Chimp
Jan 12, 2008
The color is my style so i dig it, oh and by the way I was wondering how you painted it, because I'm unsure how to do it proply myself.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
The color is my style so i dig it, oh and by the way I was wondering how you painted it, because I'm unsure how to do it proply myself.
I got steel wool, ultra course or extra course, whatever it's called. I stripped my frame and took that stuff and scrubbed the hell out of my paint. You don't really need to scrub it raw, just rough it up really well. My black paint almost looked grey when I was done. Then I used one single can of PaintersChoice spray paint. I would do a coat and let it dry. About 4 coats(ish) and then let it dry over night.

It's super simple and only took me about 3 hours to scratch the paint and actually paint it. It's worth it. If you want to finalize it, get some clearcoat and spray it over the next morning.

This wasn't a serious paint job. I have a new frame coming in a few days so I was just playing around trying to make it look less beat.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I like the offbeat color. Black and grey are getting old. Put some lime green accessories on there and have a joker bike.

Of course, the spray paint won't last. Powder coat is the way to go for bike frames.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I like the offbeat color. Black and grey are getting old. Put some lime green accessories on there and have a joker bike.

Of course, the spray paint won't last. Powder coat is the way to go for bike frames.
You would be surprised how well spray paint will hold up. If you do it right, it will look really good. Especially if you clearcoat it.

I like the color as well. My new frame coming in is purple so I decided to get a sneak peak of what it would look like. Everything will be purple or gold except for rims, spokes, rear hub, and seat post. I made a DansComp order so my new frame will be done soon.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
You would be surprised how well spray paint will hold up. If you do it right, it will look really good. Especially if you clearcoat it.
Yeah, I had some scraped up rusty crank arms and I sanded them down some, sprayed them with a a coat or two of filler primer, let that dry over night, then did two or three coats of black autobody paint and let that dry a couple of days before reinstalling. The paint has lasted really well especially considering how much shoe rub they get. I was very surprised, I figured it would rub right off.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
The only problem I have with spray paint is how easy it chips. It's fine otherwise.

You can get a frame powdercoated for $50. Not a great option for a casual project bike like yours, but well worth it for your best bike.

I spray paint all kinds of stuff. You can get some nice looking paint with several coats and some 1000 grit. I just hate it on frames.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Yeah $50 seems a little cheap. I could get it done for $80 but I like to change the look of my bike pretty often so spray paint will work just fine. If you do it right it won't chip. Like I said, if you clearcoat it, it will be the same but only cost you about 9 dollars. To pain my frame it costed me $4.50 as opposed to $80 dollars. You got to remember, if you ride park and street, your bike will never look pretty.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Call around locally. If they have a lot of a color you like and you can wait til they can batch it with other jobs, you can get a better price.

I had my single speed done before I sold it. I didn't want to sell it anymore when I saw it. I had to wait two weeks though.

edit: Also, the old redneck who did it normally does only auto parts and said the price was good only if he was already setting up and cleaning up for another job. My frame was coated black with a bunch of monster truck parts.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
If you want your frame to last and plan on clearing it, dont wait overnight. The chemicals in the paint almost "blend" together which makes the paint much much stronger. Leaving it overnight isn't nearly as effective.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
If you want your frame to last and plan on clearing it, dont wait overnight. The chemicals in the paint almost "blend" together which makes the paint much much stronger. Leaving it overnight isn't nearly as effective.
I didn't actually do that, nor have I ever. I just assumed that letting it dry completly would work well. Thanks for the advice, I'm about to do my race frame here in a few days.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
When we paint using automotive paints... we never let the frame sit (other than primer - only because we sand down some w/ 650g). Once the actual paint starts shooting, we dont finish until the frames being cleared and in the hotbox. Obviously, this all is dependent on the paintjob. If it needs some masking, etc then the basecoats have to dry. But the ultimate goal is to paint it so the chemicals almost "fuse" the clear into the paint.. it just makes for a much stronger bond.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Well my work isn't close to professional work either. I'm talking about spray paint clear coat. Should I let it dry for like an hour and then put the clear on or do my last coat and then go straight into the clear?

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Let the frame sit for about 10-15 min, then shoot a bit of clear. Make sure no runs develope in the paint before clearing and watching the frame for runs after you shoot a coat of clear. Shoot 2-3 coats.. that should be good enough ;) I mean, its not going to be professional bec. your using rattlecans, but you can help improve the look by doing a few extra things.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
yep... thanks for the spraypaint tips... i'm blessing my girls bike with a nice and fresh Audi Blue paintjob this weekend.... i guess i'll clear coat it afterall :)

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Aye - if you take your time and make sure you get EVEN coats of paint, it will look just fine ;) Getting the paint down even can be a bit of a PITA.. But it all takes practice. I still have trouble sometimes.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Hey guys - another tid bit of insight.

If you don't mind plain colors like White or Black or Grey - you can get Appliance paint in a spray can.

We've done a few frames now in Appliance white. The cool thing is the paint dries to a very hard white finish just like the finish on your washer and dryer. It is very resistant to rubbing off, chipping, etc. etc. and dries to a nice shiny finish.

Again though your color options are limited but... I like white and black bikes so its all good.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida

If you don't mind plain colors like White or Black or Grey - you can get Appliance paint in a spray can.

We've done a few frames now in Appliance white. The cool thing is the paint dries to a very hard white finish just like the finish on your washer and dryer. It is very resistant to rubbing off, chipping, etc. etc. and dries to a nice shiny finish.

Again though your color options are limited but... I like white and black bikes so its all good.
Holy moly, avocado green or harvest gold anyone?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

that's actually a really cool idea!

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
That could actually be sweet!! I've always wanted to find a junker frame and paint it with some of that "rostollem" textured paint, then paint a BRIGHT color overtop. It would catch some eyes and be something no one else would have ;)

I have a feeling it wouldnt look good in the end but it would be interesting to try...

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
That could actually be sweet!! I've always wanted to find a junker frame and paint it with some of that "rostollem" textured paint, then paint a BRIGHT color overtop. It would catch some eyes and be something no one else would have ;)

I have a feeling it wouldnt look good in the end but it would be interesting to try...
I am not sure why but when I was working on a jeep a while back the guy at the auto parts store told me NOT to use rustoleum paint if I was goint to paint over it later with good paint cause it wouldn't bond well!
I can't remember why... is it something with the different solvents?

anyone with knowledge about it wanna comment?

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Rustoleum paint actually has a textured spray to it I do believe.. maybe I'm thinking of a different paint brand - but the ridges/bumps could contribute to the paint "chipping" off

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago

Thanks for that tip. Appliance paint would be good to use on a set of old cranks.

Strauss

Monkey
Aug 22, 2007
Holy moly, avocado green or harvest gold anyone?
Avocado green would be sweet!!

I've seen Almond before - other than that I think Avocado green would work great. I need to find some and redo my NT 2-4.

I swear that appliance paint is the next best thing to powder coating for home jobies. Test it out on some crank arms and you'll see what I'm talking about. This stuff just works. It's almost more durable than the paint that comes on some of the frames stock.