Quantcast

I have a shitty 40

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Monkey Dudes...I have a brand new Fox 40 Performance 29", for clarity this is the all black OEM fork w/ garbage compression tuning capability. I think the platform is great, but the damper sucks. I would like to get recommendations on how to make this thing a little more tune-able for heavy bike park usage. Give me your best...Thanks!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I thought there were 7 or 8 but it’s been a while. Have you ridden it yet? I can get down pretty good on those carts and don’t mind running that over a Grip 2.
No, I am in the process of building my DH bike for next year and it's just sitting on the shop bench, just figured it would be inadequate based on the lack of adjustability. Good point though, maybe I shouldn't jump the gun. Still open to thoughts though...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Thats a strange thing to do.

With the non vvc grip 2 you literally have the same piston and shims and hsc loader but but a lsc needle. Can do anything the grip 1 can do when the lsc needle is closed. And things it can't do...

Would take lsc in exchange for external hsr adjustment any day.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thats a strange thing to do.

With the non vvc grip 2 you literally have the same piston and shims and hsc loader but but a lsc needle. Can do anything the grip 1 can do when the lsc needle is closed. And things it can't do...

Would take lsc in exchange for external hsr adjustment any day.
Don't know just said that a lot of the guys preferred the grip comp. The needle has more range as well

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

Not sure how it is in modern times, but I popped out the performance damper in my 2014 and put in and RC2. I imagine you can do the same if you find the correct damper length and all that. Of course, this was back when 26 was still a thing

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I paid 700 for this fork brand new (wanted it because of the lack of color). Spending $350 to drop the Ohlins Cartridge into it really doesn't seem like a bad deal tbh.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Been looking at those, apparently that project was dropped...haven't had luck finding a used one..I was looking for the boxxer one though so maybe they are still pushing fox 40 cart.
i seem to recall the carts were offered before they released their own fork models... would make sense that they stopped making them to try and get people to buy the full fork

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
They used to make those before they had a fork chassis of their own. I don’t think it would be easy to find one these days.

699045FE-B53A-4430-B985-4D2F6EEE2A0C.jpeg

The DH38 has a much better cartridge. These are heavy and firm. I think they adapted a cartridge out of a KTM 85SX. It feels better on a heavy ebike or emoto and on a DH bike you really gotta charge to get it in it’s sweet spot.