Quantcast

I just started my creatine cycle

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Mike, can you give more details about how you're using it? When, how much, and what type of exercise are you doing?

I just went off it myself. I'll go back on in a couple months.

K

kitchenware

Originally posted by Acadian
The key is to do you loading phase properly.... When did you start?
It sounds and looks as though you may know what you're doing, could you maybe giva an example of what suppliments you take and how often?

I had never done anything but ride until about a month ago when I became interested in suppliments and actually eating decent. I'm so amazed at the short term results that I've had, I'm even more interested now.

Can I just follow you around and copy everything you do/eat? :rolleyes:

~kw <-would kill to be a lean mean racing maching such as yourself.

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
Just a side note...
I had been taking it for a bit, and I personally felt like it did help/assist my "training" goals.
But there were, ummm, *ahem* gastrointestinal "issues" that I had every time I took it. I had hoped that my stomach would build up a tolerance to it...nope.
I know that's a really yucky thing to bring up...just curious if anyone else experienced something like that.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by KrusteeButt
Just a side note...
I had been taking it for a bit, and I personally felt like it did help/assist my "training" goals.
But there were, ummm, *ahem* gastrointestinal "issues" that I had every time I took it. I had hoped that my stomach would build up a tolerance to it...nope.
I know that's a really yucky thing to bring up...just curious if anyone else experienced something like that.
I've been using creatine on and off for about six years. I experience some gas during load phases, so I stopped loading (it just takes an extra week or two to saturate your muscles' creatine supply by not loading). If I stick to five grams a day following my workout, I don't have any intestinal problems. I have heard of some people experiencing that though.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
I machine gun gas on protein powder, I don't want to know how much more I can scare my girlfriend using creatine!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by kitchenware

It sounds and looks as though you may know what you're doing, could you maybe giva an example of what suppliments you take and how often?

I had never done anything but ride until about a month ago when I became interested in suppliments and actually eating decent. I'm so amazed at the short term results that I've had, I'm even more interested now.

Can I just follow you around and copy everything you do/eat? :rolleyes:

~kw <-would kill to be a lean mean racing maching such as yourself.
for cycling specific training skip that stuff and use cytomax. Reduces burn increases endurance.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by The Toninator

for cycling specific training skip that stuff and use cytomax. Reduces burn increases endurance.
I've heard of people cramping up during riding because of creatine. Part of the reason I just "cycled off" creatine is to see if my cramping during rides goes away. I rode cramp-free last Saturday.

Deyv: Not all protein powders are created the same. If your powder is causing you to fart like a beast, try another powder. For example, GNC powder gives me gas, Optimum Nutrition Pro Complex does not.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

I've heard of people cramping up during riding because of creatine. Part of the reason I just "cycled off" creatine is to see if my cramping during rides goes away. I rode cramp-free last Saturday.
I know that you have done a lot of research on creatine so i will ax you a question/make a statement maybe you can rebut it.

I thought creatine was an "anti" aerobic supplement. And what is/are Creatine's primary benefits?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by The Toninator

I know that you have done a lot of research on creatine so i will ax you a question/make a statement maybe you can rebut it.

I thought creatine was an "anti" aerobic supplement. And what is/are Creatine's primary benefits?
I'm not sure what you mean by "anti aerobic." Basically, creatine is used to help increase lean muscle mass. Creatine is a chemical natuarally found in your muscles and is used by the body to help fuel a workout. The idea behind taking a creatine supplement is to saturate your creatine supply so your body has more to use during a workout. So if you are doing bench presses, and you can get out 8 reps, the extra creatine helps you to get out an extra rep or two (those last couple of reps make a huge difference in adding muscle).

I have only researched creatine's effect on bodybuilding workouts. I can not really say what it will or will not do for a cardio workout.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Originally posted by MMike
So far....no Popeye/spinach-like results.
so does this mean that you're really cranky and moody? Prone to crying and worried about the size of your ass in that dress?:)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

I have only researched creatine's effect on bodybuilding workouts. I can not really say what it will or will not do for a cardio workout.
That's what i meant by "anti aerobic." I don’t think it is beneficial for aerobic/cardio workouts. In fact I’ve heard that it is counterproductive for aerobic/ cardio workouts. But this is just speculation because I’ve just heard it in passing no hard copy proof.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I forgot I posted this.....

I'm using SRA Liquid Creatine, Kra-Alkalyn

http://www.sranutrition.com/

Increases Strength and Endurance
No undesirable side-effects (stomach cramping, excess water retention, headaches and/or nausea)
Guaranteed Stable
Third-party lab tested
Convenient - no mixing required
Decreases lactic acid & muscle fatigue during exercise
Patent Pending pH buffered formula

Endo Verendo

Chimp
Mar 8, 2002
Studio City, CA
I gleaned this off of the E-caps.com website. Their products are designed only for endurance athletes.....

"During strength-building phases of your training season, it's hard to beat pure creatine monohydrate. Creatine, an important part of the ATP production chain, occurs naturally in many foods, but strict vegetarians may come up short. Creatine supplementation stimulates muscle growth, especially in the fast-twitch "power" muscles used in sprinting and weightlifting. Additionally, some researchers believe that creatine supplementation after workouts aids in promoting optimal glycogen storage. Creatine increases muscle mass by increasing water retention in muscle tissue, which apparently increases strength."

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Personally I've never followed the "Loading Phase"...I was told by many credible sources, a guy who used to be on the Olypic lifting team and a ex Mr. New Zealand being among them, that the loading stage was **** cuz 5 gm of creatine is more creatine in one dose that your body will see in its entire lifetime and therefore there's no point to a loading stage. I just did 5gm of creatine before my workouts along with whey protein and gained 25 pounds of lean muscle mass in 6 months. Make sure you take amino acid supplements too. But have I have a question to you all ...does creatine and whey protein go bad after a while? I haven't lifed seriously in about a year and all my old stuff just sits in my garage, wondering if its still good/effective.

RayBan

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Illinois
I've read thru this thread and have a few answers/opinions.
Creatine DOES have a shelf life.
It imroves strength which in a ROUNABOUT way will improve youe aerobic performance on the bike because your stronger.
There is a tendency to cramp up, I noticed it most often during HARD efforts.
Mike, what you described is happening is right in line with what will happen .You will not see immediate size gains BUT you WILL notice strength gains.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by Dog Welder
Personally I've never followed the "Loading Phase"...I was told by many credible sources, a guy who used to be on the Olypic lifting team and a ex Mr. New Zealand being among them, that the loading stage was **** cuz 5 gm of creatine is more creatine in one dose that your body will see in its entire lifetime and therefore there's no point to a loading stage. I just did 5gm of creatine before my workouts along with whey protein and gained 25 pounds of lean muscle mass in 6 months. Make sure you take amino acid supplements too. But have I have a question to you all ...does creatine and whey protein go bad after a while? I haven't lifed seriously in about a year and all my old stuff just sits in my garage, wondering if its still good/effective.
Personally, I'd chuck the old stuff and start with a new supply. I believe creatine has about a 1.5 year shelf life. I think protein powder is about a year, depending on the brand.