Quantcast

i just wanna say. these are frikkin scary

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm having to save the day for my company, and having to install a pulley system for smoke hatches (something out of my feild, but my boss screwed up so i'm called in to do it). There are four smoke hatches so i gotta wire em all up to crank so they can close if they blow open. i put the roof on the same building so it's definately not the heighth per se, but when you are in one these boxes and it starts moving side to side and up and down fully extended 45 feet in the air, you get the fear. oh well something different and i'm not getting rained on.

Anyone else round here ride in these death boxes?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Balls in throat?

Snorkel 120' boom.

I had to install giant christmas wreaths around the clocks on the towers at pac Bell park.

Wind is NOT your friend.

Vno

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
South Mountain
In the AF they make you wear a safety harness when you use them. What the hell is that gonna do except ensure you hit the ground at the same time as the bucket?!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
H8R said:
Balls in throat?

Snorkel 120' boom.

I had to install giant christmas wreaths around the clocks on the towers at pac Bell park.

Wind is NOT your friend.
Yah i imagine not haha. i wish we had a bigger one to work in the bigger ones are more stable, but still if you're 120' up on a biggun that's gotta make you wanna crap your pants!

Vno said:
In the AF they make you wear a safety harness when you use them. What the hell is that gonna do except ensure you hit the ground at the same time as the bucket?!
They do it so if you press the wrong button and shake yourself out of the box. i gotta wear a monkey harness too, and after hitting he boom down button instead of the telescope down button on accident i can see how someone could possibly do that. After i did that the machine moved up and down around 3 feet or so, that gave me "the fear". Haha took me a few seconds to collect.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Skookum said:
Yah i imagine not haha. i wish we had a bigger one to work in the bigger ones are more stable, but still if you're 120' up on a biggun that's gotta make you wanna crap your pants!

They do it so if you press the wrong button and shake yourself out of the box. i gotta wear a monkey harness too, and after hitting he boom down button instead of the telescope down button on accident i can see how someone could possibly do that. After i did that the machine moved up and down around 3 feet or so, that gave me "the fear". Haha took me a few seconds to collect.
When you do that in a 120' it's amplified even more. It makes it all that worse when you're really cold and trying to grip the rails with numb hands.

mommy... :help:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
buildyourown said:
I saw a guy working on the Aurora bridge in one of those. Only he was doing overhead stick welding. What a horrible combo.
Yah i'm having to take up a 10 foot section of tube steel, we're pre-drilling most of it, then i place it on the I-beam and drill it to it. Getting in the middle and holding a greasy ass bar and hoping you don't drop it while that frikkin box moves all over hells half acre. well it's not fun.... i need to go play in some hot tar, that's much safer haha. :D

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
H8R said:
When you do that in a 120' it's amplified even more. It makes it all that worse when you're really cold and trying to grip the rails with numb hands.

mommy... :help:
Yah that's why i've been wearing baggy blue jeans when i crap my pants it falls out of the leg pretty easy, i can keep working. :) :oink:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
bibs said:
lat new years eve we played on one, it scared the crap at me when it went to a 90 degree angle it was drunken fun!
Haha you lush. That reminds me when we were working at the Federal Court House downtown, there were some strippers/hookers whatever showing off in the motel room window across the street. The whole job practically shut down for 10 minutes, they even thru down some flyers with their phone number on it haha, some outfit call fantasy film somethin or other haha. Anyways, i had a good view from the 5 story green roof dealie up front but this sheet metal guy had the best view, he drived almost right up to the window in his lift and just camped there. The whole scene was hilarious.

MR.S

Chimp
Jul 27, 2002
Spunaway
We dont have no snorkel lift at work. However we have a ladder truck, and bucket truck. I use them so much, I have come to trust them. I cannot however, be macho about driving the ladder truck, it is 1973 ford, no power brakes, no power steering, 3 on the tree, 300ci inline 8, just under 9' wide I think. It dont stop, steer, or accelarate it also makes you let out a little squirt of pee when you have to drive across bridges with oncoming traffic.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MR.S said:
We dont have no snorkel lift at work. However we have a ladder truck, and bucket truck. I use them so much, I have come to trust them. I cannot however, be macho about driving the ladder truck, it is 1973 ford, no power brakes, no power steering, 3 on the tree, 300ci inline 8, just under 9' wide I think. It dont stop, steer, or accelarate it also makes you let out a little squirt of pee when you have to drive across bridges with oncoming traffic.
Haha yah i'm getting to trust it alot more than yesterday. And yah i've driven an old dump truck overloaded with 13 ton of pea gravel and hot tar tear-off, drove from downtown to Renton. i guess a good brake analogy would be trying to stop a 50 lb DH bike in the mud with rusty wire cantilevers haha. When i lifted the pto to dump the front raised up as it did anytime i would dump over 10 ton. Those types of trucks are only supposed to haul up to 8 ton i think....

trailhacker said:
Hahah! So they aren't as fun as they look?
Come by your old school and find out. Did you know that Nathan Hale School used to be a Golf Course? That's what my co-worker told me today. And i ran into my pal Jonny today at work, which is always cool.
Anyways bring a hard hat and some boots and i'll let you take a ride in it. i'm in the new theater. :D

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
That sounds like alot of things...all of which aren't associated with "fun" or "good times". Did you kiss the earth when you got back down?

Ironically, I was crossing the Fremont Bridge today and they had these trucks w/ buckets on cranes on the Aurora Bridge doing some work. This was an hour before a gnar-gnar lightning storm hit. Even w/o the storm looming, I don't see how one can be productive while being swung over the side of a ridiculously high bridge from the back of a truck.
:eek:

nohbody

Chimp
Mar 5, 2005
Seattle
Those things rock! Trying to pay my way through college i worked for a maintence crew, and had to wash windows using in the bucket. A bird farts and it starts swaying. good times :thumb:

cove rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 8, 2004
no where important
my uncle who works for ny dad ws ina building installing something and he was up in like a 100 footer one but then it was too short so he had too take up one of those 24 foot extension ladder too reach what he needed talk about crappin yerself :eek: :help: :redX: :dead:

OldBikerdad

Chimp
May 17, 2005
Gresham, Or
I ride in those all the time. I work on large Aircraft and we use them to get up on the tail for changing out nav lights and such. I have been scared several times. I think the harness is there for if you fall out it tips the thing over and so when you hit the ground it finishes you off when it smashes you. Then you can,t sue.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yo clear out your PMs Skook

here's what i was going to nag about :D

it's "height", no trailing h. Chuckwagon, my riding buddy in Portland, used to say "heighth" all the time and it bugged me :oink: :oink:

Big B

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Lynnwood, Washington
I used one of those 100' ers to paint the sides of the cruisers in the Navy. We used to extended them all the way at a good 30-45 degree angle and then try to drive them from there. We'd get the bucket jerking back and forth to see how far we could go before we chickened out. Boy was that stupid...

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
the box looks safe to me.
i'v been up 45 feet on a ladder thats walking back and forth on the building and i'v got an ax in one hand and a 40lbs pack on my back....now thats frikikin scary

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Toshi said:
yo clear out your PMs Skook

here's what i was going to nag about :D

it's "height", no trailing h. Chuckwagon, my riding buddy in Portland, used to say "heighth" all the time and it bugged me :oink: :oink:
Doing it on purpose, i'm just trying to teach you patience and tolerance. :D

Today wasn't bad at all, takes 3 days i guess to get used to it.....