Quantcast

i need help pulling my crank arm off

willyj

Chimp
Jun 2, 2008
HIGH COUNTRY
ok im putting a e13 chainguide on my banshee chaparral that has a miss match combination of parts.I was trying to pull my drive side crank arm off and used my crank arm puller and nothing happened i pulled it out and looked into to my bb and it was hollow .What do i do?

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
What kind of crankset do you have installed? If you need to use a crank puller and have an oversized axle, an endplug that matches the axle will be needed.

Usually these come with the tool nowadays but you may have an old tool or have lost it.

Also, check so the threads in the crank aren't stripped.

willyj

Chimp
Jun 2, 2008
HIGH COUNTRY
it is a suntour duro crank set, the non drive side just came off easily but the drive side its like theres something missing from the center of the bb because my crank arm puller wont work

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
You are supposed to have a plug with your bb tool that fills in the hole. Stick a coin in the hole (it should fit into the crank, but sit on top of the axle) then install the tool and remove.

FBinNY

Chimp
Jul 15, 2009
it is a suntour duro crank set, the non drive side just came off easily but the drive side its like theres something missing from the center of the bb because my crank arm puller wont work
I'm assuming that this is not one of the current designs whereby the spindle is permanantly affixed to the right crank, in which case there won't be threads in the arm for the puller.

The system is symetrical right and left, take a second and check whether you somehow left the pusher pad from your tool stuck in the left side of the spindle.

Otherwise, make sure that any washer is removed, and use a dime to bridge the hole in the spindle (being sure it totally clears the crank arm all the way around, and try again.