Quantcast

I need landscape help

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
Ok i'm about to start landscaping my house, but i have no idea of design or what to plant etc. I'm on a budget and i'm also doing this myself, i know i want flowers, maybe a small rock wall. What i need to know is what to plant, where to plant, shape of wall etc. I'm not a garden or flower person at all, but i want my house to look good, so easy to maintain plants would be great. My budget is about 500 for everything. So if you can help me it would be great, i've included some pics and a layout of the yard.

Attachments

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Ok...I might be able to help you out, but I need to know where you live (climate) and where you'd most like the landscaping to be (I assume in front of the house).
:stupid: Location; Soil type(acidic,alkaline, clay, sand), etc.

With your limited budget you are going to have to start off with small plants and/or seeds and spend a few years getting stuff going. Cheap and easy to multiply plants by propagation.

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
ok i live in tulsa, ok. the soil is mostly clay. I also have 40 or so bags of pea gravel that i can use. Yeh i'm looking for curb appeal, i plan to put a pump track in the backyard at some point in time.

The climate in the summer is usually very hot around 100..and cools to around high 70's at night. I can water so thats not a problem. Also i have very little shade in the front of the yard.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
seriously you need to consult with someone in the industry in your area...there are way to many varaibles that have to be taken into consideration. You're much better off talking to someone who actually lives in the same climate as you....D

Squeaver

Monkey
Mar 1, 2006
Sanford, NC
If you are looking for some ideas, here are a few shots of my latest shot at landscaping.

I built the wall up myself, what used to be there was the plastic edging that you hammer into the ground.

For a little contrast, I thought I would add a few of these big containers next to our front porch.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
You could try making a planter out of a burned-out truck.

I hear that they are easy to come by in your neighborhood.

:biggrin:

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
You could try making a planter out of a burned-out truck.

I hear that they are easy to come by in your neighborhood.

:biggrin:
Or a toilet, don't forget the toilet.

Seriously, pull roots and get the f*#k outta Tulsa. Buy a house in a real location. :D

I, of course, am kidding. I don't hate Tulsa too much.

btw - where's golgi???

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
seriously you need to consult with someone in the industry in your area...there are way to many varaibles that have to be taken into consideration. You're much better off talking to someone who actually lives in the same climate as you....D

Yeah man, go to some local greenhouse operation and talk to someone who does this for a living. It would totally suck to invest $$ on this and have it die off because you planted the wrong plants for the space. Bring your house & yard pics right too them.

Or, you could call some local landscape companies, have them come to your house to do a free estimate, pick their brains for all kinds of useful suggestions on what you could do with the yard, then do it on your own.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
old railroad ties are usually free and can make for great landscaping, either terracing the land or just for bordering a bed.

watch out for exotic-invasive species when buying plants, most spread surprisingly quick and will no doubt become a pest if you haven't sufficient time to take care of them properly. you will probably want to start out with some hearty plants and/or shrubs, and maybe use them to establish a strong border or outline, and then slowly fill in the other spaces with the perrinials,annuals, and all the other "pretty" stuff.

from your pictures, it looks like the areas immediately in front of your house get a bit of shade at some point during the day, so keep that in mind as well. some plants can't tolerate that, some strive on it, and some like a little of both. planting alongside walkways is always a sure-fire way to get things started. there are lots of factors to look at when getting into a project like this; take the advice on here and go seek out a (keyword:) knowledgable nursery or garden center, take some pictures of your yard, and you'll be on your way. good luck and be patient!

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
Thanks for all the advice, i'm still about a month out on actually doing anything do to the weather and work but i wanted to start planning the project now. I will go visit a local nursery or garden center for advice.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Free estimates are great. Also, if you have any landscape companies in your area, call them up and have them come out. Occassionally (if you live in a prime spot -- i.e. a corner, new development, etc) you can work out a deal for them to do some basic landscaping for cost or even free and allow them (in return) to put up a small, tasteful sign advertising their company for this summer.

Definitely go to a local nursery though. Many times, their plants are guaranteed too and if they don't survive the summer they will replace them free of charge.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Thanks for all the advice, i'm still about a month out on actually doing anything do to the weather and work but i wanted to start planning the project now.
Remember that the summer is about the worst time to plant things. Trees and shrubs (and most perennials) are definitely better planted in the fall as that gives them the longest possible time to establish before the hot dry summer sets in.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Looks like Tulsa is a Zone 7 which will help with your plant selections. Find a local garden center that is growing their own plants or sourcing them from local vendors. This help in getting the plants successfully established.

Planting tip for all containerized plants - don't just pop them out the pot and plant them into the ground. You need to first "tease" the roots (gently pull the roots apart so the root ball no longer resembles the shape of the container)to encourage them to get established into the existing soil. This will also help them with the uptake of water and nutrients. Water thoroughly and deeply after planting - a hose on a slow trickle works best.

As far as a planitng design, I'd recommend some curvilinear planting beds along the front of the house and walkway. This will help soften the angular lines of the house. And since you have a limited budget for the project, I'd recommend choosing some plants with fairly fast growth rates and interesting foliage, flowers, or textures. Adding a few plants that will mature to a decent size (4-6'+ or so) will help to establish structure and allow for additional plants as time and budget allow.

Zone 7 is a little out of my comfort zone for plants (I'm in New England), but PM me if you have questions and I can try to help.

toby

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
drop from the roof...or step up to the roof....pump track, some grass inbetween spaces, ghetto couches with big tree for the shade for the ghetto lounge. enjoy

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
Once again thanks guys for all the advice, i will post pics once i get the project underway and finished.