Quantcast

I now have less respect for Obama :(

What's your view of Obama today compared to months ago?

• Like him more

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • same

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • less

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • other

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
So nobody is going to take the time to contemplate the subject?
Why do you assume you're the only one contemplating it? Perhaps the rest of us have contemplated it, and decided, like we've all said, that having a nutjob pastor isn't grounds for determining a new or revised level of respect for someone. IMO, all pastors are nutjobs on some level. And almost all politicians claim to be of religious faith. Therefor I assume that all politicians have nutjobs for spiritual advisors. Obama is no different. Case closed.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Obama isn't anyone. McCain isn't anyone. These people want to be PotUS. Both of them have nutjob spiritual leaders.
if you ask me, obama has exaggerated his devotion to religion because most dumbasses in this country think religious=moral. if i, for whatever reason, got into politics and eventually decided to make a bid for the presidency, i wouldn't have a chance of getting it. while i have no problem with people choosing to practice religion, i refrain from doing so because i think it's the cause of most problems in this world. too many people in this country have been so ****ed up by religion that they think those with different religions or none whatsoever aren't good people.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Why do you assume you're the only one contemplating it? Perhaps the rest of us have contemplated it, and decided, like we've all said, that having a nutjob pastor isn't grounds for determining a new or revised level of respect for someone. IMO, all pastors are nutjobs on some level. And almost all politicians claim to be of religious faith. Therefor I assume that all politicians have nutjobs for spiritual advisors. Obama is no different. Case closed.
Not all nutjobs have the same message. To ignore that message is to ignore a small part of a candidate's qualifications.

Big difference between McCain's advisor saying, "Kill all Muslims" -vs- "Gays shouldn't be allowed the right of marriage". Big difference.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Not all nutjobs have the same message. To ignore that message is to ignore a small part of a candidate's qualifications.

Big difference between McCain's advisor saying, "Kill all Muslims" -vs- "Gays shouldn't be allowed the right of marriage". Big difference.
parsley's warcry isn't against muslim people, but the teachings of islam.

big difference

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005

comparing a pastor to a political advisor? with the exception of huckabee, that seems like apples and oranges to me.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Well, he said "God Damn America" big effing deal. I think we can already assume that Obama, in wanting to be president of it, doesnt actually hate it, and if he does, wants to make it better, and/or different. I didnt see anything particularly frightening there about killing Muslims like Mccains guy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
He was getting punk'ed by Hillary while he was focused on how much better his is than McCain. That hurt him in Texas and Ohio, so now he has changed focus on Hillary to show he will stand for what he believes in.

I'm glad to see him not take crap, but she started the crap that could cause the Dems everything anyway.

Besides, who doesn't know a pastor that has said stupid sh!t in the past? A priest that taught at the church I grew up going to is now serving life for molestation (not me). Am I now a bad person because I went to that church?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Well, he said "God Damn America" big effing deal. I think we can already assume that Obama, in wanting to be president of it, doesnt actually hate it, and if he does, wants to make it better, and/or different. I didnt see anything particularly frightening there about killing Muslims like Mccains guy.
ffs, if you're not going to read the bible (or regularly attend church), at least read the mojones site, which accurately quoted parsely:
I cannot tell you how important it is that we understand the true nature of Islam, that we see it for what it really is. In fact, I will tell you this: I do not believe our country can truly fulfill its divine purpose until we understand our historical conflict with Islam. I know that this statement sounds extreme, but I do not shrink from its implications. The fact is that America was founded, in part, with the intention of seeing this false religion destroyed, and I believe September 11, 2001, was a generational call to arms that we can no longer ignore.
not quite the same as "pushing the jews into the sea", which is a popular sentiment by middle eastern arabs taken literally.

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
There are a lot of reasons I'm not qualified to run for president, but being associated with a bunch of assholes at various times during my life... that's really not disqualification criteria IMO.
but what about the assholes he's currently associated with?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
here's the thing, if you already think obama is teh jeebus, nothing is going to change your mind. if you think obama is teh great satin, then this reinforces it... otherwise meh..

as an aside, i think this is great since it causes nothing but desnetion in the democratic party which is good for my side.

last fall, i thought the gop was losing this election no matter what, now it seems that McCain cant help but win..

thank you hillaryobama!

:)

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
last fall, i thought the gop was losing this election no matter what, now it seems that McCain cant help but win..
I'm an independent that's on the fence, though leaning towards the dems mostly due to the christian right. The DNC continues to disappoint me and how they deal with the infighting will decide where my vote falls as of right now.

McCain could get my vote unless he: coddles the christian right or selects Mitt as a running mate. If he can stay moderate and exhibit even a minor desire to return to fiscal responsibility AND the DNC pisses me off it will be a tough choice. I've had my fill of the clintons and obama has at least exhibited an ability to motivate americans to care - a significant achievement imo.

Iraq is a non-issue for me. I don't like it but, promises of withdrawal or not, I don't see us going anywhere soon.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm an independent that's on the fence, though leaning towards...
You should vote for your favorite this election, even if it's Ralph Nader or something.

It's not like one of these three idiots is GWB, so you don't have to vote against this time around.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
You should vote for your favorite this election, even if it's Ralph Nader or something.

It's not like one of these three idiots is GWB, so you don't have to vote against this time around.
I'm very much voting against invading Iran.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004

I'm not interested in 'sending a message', I want to get the person I think will be best 'right now' into office.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I'm very much voting against invading Iran.
I agree 100%, but I don't think McCain will be able to invade Iran in his first term between the lack of resources and lack of citizen support.
I'm not interested in 'sending a message', I want to get the person I think will be best 'right now' into office.
So, as an independent, you will never ever vote independent?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just don't feel his pastor is crazy. He speaks his mind, but he's not nearly as bad (at least to me) as some or most TV evangelicals.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I'll refer back to this quote:
It's sad that campaigning has degraded to people researching each candidates' acquaintances, and looking for dirt on them. It's like "Well, we failed miserably at assailing Obama's character. Bring me a list of everyone he has talked to in the last 20 years!".

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
file under "never underestimate the stupidity of the american people"

there's an email campaign breathing new life into all the barack rumors which can easily be rebuffed at snopes. the unfortunate part is that so many are older/retired folks who sit in front of their email all day swapping these stupid chain emails. how do i know? i'm related to some of them.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
an older family friend who lives in an assisted living joint ($$$) in NoVa ($$$) talks about how during election season, the busses pull up to take them to polling places ($$$).

funny, never seems to happen in the 'hood

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I live in a town with a population that is about 99.5% white. There are 3 or 4 polling stations within walking distance of my house. This country is f*cked.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I agree 100%, but I don't think McCain will be able to invade Iran in his first term between the lack of resources and lack of citizen support.
unless a middle eastern country, not just terrorists from the middle east, attacks us. i have a feeling we won't invade any countries there again.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
The guys (Pastor) probably just like that crazy uncle you have that you drink beers with and fish along the banks of the river with. He can go on all night about how the world sucks, how he's a racist and how he hates cats. You can listen to his bull**** all night and chuckle even when you know your not a racist or hate cats because there is some good about'um too, and hope some day you can spark a chance for change in his evil thoughts. So you finish the case of beer and you drive home the next day. No big deal. See you next Sunday.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
an older family friend who lives in an assisted living joint ($$$) in NoVa ($$$) talks about how during election season, the busses pull up to take them to polling places ($$$).

funny, never seems to happen in the 'hood
I sit next to one at work. We used to kind of be friends but every political conversation we have usually ends up with me calling him a ****ing moron. I don't have much of a problem with people having different opinions but he constantly gets super worked up over things he reads in easily dismissed chain emails. This country is screwed.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
The guys (Pastor) probably just like that crazy uncle you have that you drink beers with and fish along the banks of the river with. He can go on all night about how the world sucks, how he's a racist and how he hates cats. You can listen to his bull**** all night and chuckle even when you know your not a racist or hate cats because there is some good about'um too, and hope some day you can spark a chance for change in his evil thoughts. So you finish the case of beer and you drive home the next day. No big deal. See you next Sunday.
having racist maternal g-parents (since deceased), i can easily empathize with your p.o.v., but i wasn't influenced by them, and i'm not running for high office.

obama now has to do what he does best: tell us all: "don't worry; be hopeful". it may mean he has to ditch this guy, or just ignore what people say. at this stage of the game, i think most people's minds are made up. for the one or two voters he may lose over this issue, his devotees will dig in harder & campaign to get them replaced, plus a few more.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
obama now has to do what he does best: tell us all: "don't worry; be hopeful". it may mean he has to ditch this guy, or just ignore what people say. at this stage of the game, i think most people's minds are made up. for the one or two voters he may lose over this issue, his devotees will dig in harder & campaign to get them replaced, plus a few more.

i think hillary should make all the political hay out of this that she can!

Go grL!!11