Quantcast

I want a new frame.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Here's the plan, use the parts I have on a new frame.

Choices are,

Socom if it has a 73mm BB
Yeti AS-X
SX Trail

The intense frame is alot more the the Yeti, and I life in flat-ville U.S.A. so they are all kind of over kill.

How does the AS-X pedal compared to a vpp or a horst-link bike?

Anyone?:imstupid:

925hell

Chimp
Mar 20, 2006
SLC, UT
sx trail, my buddy has one, depending on the application it could be considered alittle heavy, depending on the build, but weight is a subjective thing. he uses it for trail riding, super-d as well as some of the smoother DH courses. I've only ridden it briefly and was impressed (I've never really been a specialized fan.)

altix

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
sx trai and the rest are a bit much for your smooth ville area, and is over kill for sure. i agree with Cant Climb, the bullit is awesome, but its a single pivot. so id go with a nomad, kuz it rocks, if you have a light build you can get them down to 30-33, and still have an awesome smooth dh course bike, like sea otter or something

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
sx trai and the rest are a bit much for your smooth ville area, and is over kill for sure. i agree with Cant Climb, the bullit is awesome, but its a single pivot. so id go with a nomad, kuz it rocks, if you have a light build you can get them down to 30-33, and still have an awesome smooth dh course bike, like sea otter or something
Dude today marks the third time I've honked at yo' punk ass riding your 20" in town, and you still have yet to notice it's me driving.

Oh, and to the guy who wants a new bike, after owning an AS-X and an Enduro, I wouldn't get either of those bikes. If you live in a flatter area, get something like the new XC Enduro, the Nomad, the 6.6, or a Meta 5. A light and nimble bike will be faster and more fun.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I guess I should have mentioned that I was riding a RM Switch and now am running a rumble till I choose a new frame.

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
yes, it has.
If you have the Socom on the list why not the VPX? I just started riding one and out of necessity threw my XC wheels on it for a ride. This thing pedals and even climbs better than some bikes with 2 inches less travel. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to ride anything else this year.

I've been trail riding it with the XC wheels and smaller dh tires with a 6 inch Travis up front. The geometry is a little steeper, which is great for trail rides, and with a dual crown 7 or 8 inch fork it will be slacked out nicely for dh. When I bought it I imagined it being a more dh oriented bike but now I'm looking at it like a burly do-it-all bike.

I've got mine built up with full old-school XTR and other reliable/lighter stuff and the weight isn't bad at all. With my Hadley/521 wheels and 2.5/2.2 Comp16 setup it comes in somewhere around 37 to 38 pounds.

Here are some pics:

http://www.lexicon-design.com/VPX1.jpg
http://www.lexicon-design.com/VPX2.jpg

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
If you have the Socom on the list why not the VPX? I just started riding one and out of necessity threw my XC wheels on it for a ride. This thing pedals and even climbs better than some bikes with 2 inches less travel. I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to ride anything else this year.
UZZI is still a consideration, the socom is just lighter, I would like the 6.6 slopestyle but that is still a wait and see if they build it frame.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Those bikes are total overkill and will not come to life where probably te vast majority of your riding will be. Get a 4x bike with a Pike or a Lyric up front (or similar), you won't regret it. At the speeds you will run it, it will feel fun while a bigger bike will leave you unsatisfied and make you go home and beat your gf..
I hear impotence is the next stop down that path.

Where I live it pretty flat too. If it was just a bit flatter you could call this place Denmark. :( I rode with a buddy of mine today on his maiden ride on a Commencal 4x and he straight loved it from the start, very playable, like a mini dh he said. Plush at the beginning but still felt bottomless.
I'm glad I got him to buy it (and try it out for me ;) ), and I'm soo getting one as my next do it all bike!