Quantcast

I want a program that allows me to remote into another computer

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I want a program that will allow me to remote into another computer and let a person infront of that computer watch the mouse move as I navigate around that computer.

I know of PC anywhere but I'm not sure it this will let a person at the other computer watch. the reason I need this type of program is my parents don't know how to use their computer and I would like to be able to log into their machine and see what they see.

I'm tallking, they can't do ANYTHING with a computer. they are old. very old...

suggestions?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
MSN Messenger (I guess it's now Windows Live Messenger?) allows this through Remote Assistance, I've used it a few times with retarded friends who can't make their computers work.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
How does that VNC thing work?
i downloaded it but it doesnt' seem to be doing anything....(i'm also hella multitasking....J)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
It needs to be installed on both ends (server on one end and client on the other). That or just the server and you can use a web interface to log in on port 5800.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Tighttnvc looks like it's going to be the one I use. I need a few hours some night when my dad is free so we can try to configure it.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
how bout "remote desktop connection" of windows?

it comes standard with windows XP, you just need the other ends IP adress and if they cant click "accept" it will auto accept itself in 20 secs....

thats what the IT guys use here....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
how bout "remote desktop connection" of windows?

it comes standard with windows XP, you just need the other ends IP adress and if they cant click "accept" it will auto accept itself in 20 secs....

thats what the IT guys use here....
It only accepts on it's own because you are in a domain environment and they have their group policy set that way. Normally you hav to be invited AND have to have the 2nd part click accept.

Also, it is slow and unencrypted. VNC is fast and encrypted.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
VNC and RDP come in various flavors and either can be slow or insecure. Older versions of RDP are encrypted but do not use authentication so you can do man in the middle attacks. The standard VNC protocol is not encrypted AT ALL, it requires add-ons to become secure.

The latest RDP in 2003/Vista supports TLS, SSL, and FIPS so you are good to go if its RDP 6 to RDP 6 machine. If you setup a VPN to remote over security isn't an issue with any protocol.