Quantcast

Icy Icycle!!

tomvan72

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Asheville
The Icycle Night time Downhill will actually be icy and snowy. Bring it on!! Last time it snowed they got like 8". The hard way!

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
hellz yeh tom its gonna be off the hook this year. im so ready and if it doesnt snow we can deffinatly hope for tons of mud and everyone loves the mud. cya boys there and be ready to get dirty.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Sounds fun and all, but I am throwing a big party for the Super Bowl. Just finished the Theater room last night down stairs. 80" x 45" screen in HD and 7.1 sound. Ya, baby. Once the dirt jumps are done I will have to have a Mountain Bike Movie viewing night for all you boys. Maybe throw some shrimps on the old barbie!! Have fun at the race.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I picked this up for dickiesbike1 (d. moser) tonight, since he's SOL on lights this year. 55 watt, 1 mil candle power, rechargeable.....and friggin huge! we're going to find a way to strap it to his newly painted brooklyn :D this should be interesting :thumb:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
manimal said:
I picked this up for dickiesbike1 (d. moser) tonight, since he's SOL on lights this year. 55 watt, 1 mil candle power, rechargeable.....and friggin huge! we're going to find a way to strap it to his newly painted brooklyn :D this should be interesting :thumb:
score! I can't wait to see how you attach that thing to his bike.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
It was cold and wet. I've never ridden the course, but found the top 3/4 to be a lot of fun, even in the wet and mud. The bottom 1/4.... well, I'm sure its been said before. But I suggest renaming it as a night super D race.

But over all the Icycle event had a great party atmosphere and was a really fun time. The band and beer were good. However, the burrito dinner was poorly scheduled. :(

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
haw haw...sounds awesome....hate that I missed it. Sounds like an epic slip and slide on the rock and rolls. The upper parts of that course are the BEST in the rain and muck. 2 wheel drifts all the way down it are a blast!

So who whon, who got what place? Who ate it? How many people?
WHo all braved the XC?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
bizutch said:
haw haw...sounds awesome....hate that I missed it. Sounds like an epic slip and slide on the rock and rolls. The upper parts of that course are the BEST in the rain and muck. 2 wheel drifts all the way down it are a blast!

So who whon, who got what place? Who ate it? How many people?
WHo all braved the XC?
I'm guessing there were record numbers of participants this weekend. Sooo many XC racers. Solid DH field. Herndon won again.

By the time we got to do our runs, most peoples bikes didn't work too well. Shifting was nonexistent. Brakes felt wierd. Like I said, FUN!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
bizutch said:
The upper parts of that course are the BEST in the rain and muck. 2 wheel drifts all the way down it are a blast!
The only slippery traction I found was on some of the climbs. I found solid traction on all the corners and on the flats. However Matt did see me go down in one turn. :nopity:

As best I remember...

Herndon 1st
Tom V 3rd
Mike Kennedy 4th, 5th or something like that
Matt Griffin 8th
Me 9th
Geritt LAST! :dead: (his light fell off)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
profro said:
The only slippery traction I found was on some of the climbs. I found solid traction on all the corners and on the flats. However Matt did see me go down in one turn. :nopity:

As best I remember...

Herndon 1st
Tom V 3rd
Mike Kennedy 4th, 5th or something like that
Matt Griffin 8th
Me 9th
Geritt LAST! :dead: (his light fell off)
I'd like to have heard Geritt when it did. Oh...you guys are so lucky to get to race this weekend. So did anyone interview Brian Q (BKQuill) and get his impressions...?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh totally awsome corse the upper section was awsome. loved it but the bottom section mainly the first switch back was hell. it kicked my ass basically.

my boys ben and vince one two'ed the sport class which was totally awsome, and i had a totally ****ty run with a 12th finish ohh well what can you do but move on and be ready for the next one.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
just got a report from Matt. He says he left his clothes outside while he was in the burrito fest and came back out and they had frozen solid and his chain had frozen with ice along with his shifters!!

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
even with all the mechanicals, hypothermia and the crash it was still a great time. the swithback with the root tossed me over the bars and down the hill. had to actually climb back up to get my bike.

my wife took first in the womens beginner xc on her ss by almost 8 minutes(sandbagger) and third in the dh with a crash.

So-EastMatt

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
I don't post that often, but I decided to step out of the shadow to post my thoughts on this event. This was my sixth year of racing the icycle nightime-DH. I was so cold the entire time that I can't even explain it. Like Butch said, all my race gear got soaked in practice, I changed clothes to go eat burritos, and when I got back, I realized that I'd left all my gear out in the snow. I, along with everyone else at the event, had totally useless shifting, messed up brakes, and a frozen chain. My whole race was like a game of Worst Cast Scenario. It's hard to convince anyone who has not been to the icecyle that this could possibly be fun. The fact is though, after over 10 years of racing DH around here, I've seen a lot of stuff come and a lot of stuff go, but this race continues to draw better participation than some of the best courses on the most beautiful of summer days could hope to. People come out of the woodwork. Its a weird combination of participants. Of coarse all the usual suspects show up, but I am always shocked by how many people show up and say that this, of all races to pick, is their first time racing downhill! It doesn't seem to matter whether you've got a full blown DH sled, a freeride hardtale, or a pieced together cross country bike. I even saw a guy riding what looked like a cyclocross bike waiting in line. Physically, its the most taxing DH race that i've done. The top of the course is scary fast, and the bottom is boggy and flat. On a good day, I'm absolutely spent by the finish. Wait till after dark, Drop the thermometer to about 20 degrees, and turn on the snow, and it becomes horrendous. By the end of it, I'm frozen stiff, but just like a crack-addict, I know I'll be back next year. What really distiguishes this race is the atmosphere- mabey the conditions of the event bring about an air of comeraderie, mabey its just all the free Highland Porter, but ever year when I leave, I have a smile on my face. Big props to Jay and Wes for keeping this race alive and helping to remind me that there are still a lot of people around here who still like racing DH! And Doug, I'm going to hold on to those 3 seconds I beat you by until I see my grave!

jcoan

Chimp
Feb 6, 2006
The Icycle Results will be posted on www.jandwevents.com by the end of the week. Thanks to all who came out and braved the elements and made the Icycle one to remember.

Expert XC Men: Sam Koerber (Fast Lap)
Expert XC Women: Trish Stevenson (Fast Lap)
Singlespeed: Marshall Hance
Women XC Sport: Jamie Dinkins
Sport XC Men: Jeremy Chandler
Big Bike: Steven Bennett
Beg Men XC: Cory Rimmer
Beg Women XC: Taryn Burns

Exp Men DH: Chris Herndon (Fast Run)
Women DH: Lela Stephens (Fast Run)
Mens Sport: Vince Waters
Mens Beg: Nathan Wilson
Fully Rigid: Adam Winton

Thanks to Sycamore Cycles, Morewood Bikes, Tinsley Web Solutions, Pro Bikes, Smokey Mtn. Bicycles, Collin Izzard of Carmichael Training, Cane Creek, Maxxis, and Fontana Village for making this race possible.

Thanks again,

Jay
www.jandwevents.com

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
frznnomad said:
yeh totally awsome corse the upper section was awsome. loved it but the bottom section mainly the first switch back was hell. it kicked my ass basically.

my boys ben and vince one two'ed the sport class which was totally awsome, and i had a totally ****ty run with a 12th finish ohh well what can you do but move on and be ready for the next one.
Ben needs to move up. I figured he would after winning sport at Sugar by 30 seconds!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
escapeartist said:
Ben needs to move up. I figured he would after winning sport at Sugar by 30 seconds!
sandbagger!!!

daniel and i had a blast! i saw the light and set my bike up against the generator so that my rear der. and cables could defrost....so i was actually able to shift. but...it didn't really matter by the time i got to the final switchbacks because the once soupy mud turned into frozen molasses.
i think that was the biggest turnout i have ever seen, the only bummer was that we didn't get to do the usual screwing around near the lodge like in years past when the weather wasn't so harsh. i always enjoy the freeride atmosphere before the event

thanks to motomike (m-a-t-t D-a-m-o-n) for bringing me all the crap that i left at the cabin. my post-concussion memory skills kinda suck ;)

and just so you know....bikini style undies may be comfy for riding but they sure bring a lot of disgusted looks as you strip out of muddy clothes in the kitchen and show off your mud-filled crack to all of your buds ;)
i think daniel and murphy are forever changed by that experience :thumb:

i think this pic kinda sums it up...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I lvoe that race so much that one year I sat in Fred's cabin shivering with a fever and 4 layers on and my teeth chattering...when I got there. I hadn't even ridden yet. I strapped on my lights, waited for dark, took 2 practice runs, put on a dry set of undies and was on layer 4 and still did the race and got 4th Expert. Then went home and slept for 14 hours.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I'm one of the ones that decided the Icycle would be my first race....not only DH but XC also. Best decision EVER!!! I had a blast, even though I pushed my bike for probably a third of the XC..... But cleaning the first climb and screaming "ON YOUR LEFT" while runnin WFO on the downhill made all the pushing worth it. I somehow got pulled an 8th place.
The DH was a first too...as well as riding at night. And I never took the time to pre-run or even walk the course. Being in the beginner class put me about dead-a$$ last to start....Y'all thought you were cold...But the fact that I had to pee like a race horse gave me an advantage....I got 10th. I ate it on the rooty switchback to and slid headfirst about 20 feet down the hill...took me a minute to get back to the bike.
All in all my wife and I had a great time. My only complaint was the serious lack of places to eat....but next year we are getting a cottage and cookin our own so no big deal there.

Link to some pics over on TMTB... http://trianglemtb.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=4453.0

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
jcoan said:
Mens Sport: Vince Waters
^ that's me for those of you who don't know who I am.

I thought that the race was really fun! Racing on a very cold, snowy night, on a very muddy trail. What more could you ask for? :cool:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
lol thnks for the little bit of thought jeremy. lol

alex that is what we have all been telling him but i think that him and vince are gonna move up mid seasson due to the fact that they want more race experiance so we all deffinatly agree that they should move up they deffinatly got the talent and the skillz so expect to see them there mid season and deffinatly at sugar.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
frznnomad said:
lol thnks for the little bit of thought jeremy. lol

alex that is what we have all been telling him but i think that him and vince are gonna move up mid seasson due to the fact that they want more race experiance so we all deffinatly agree that they should move up they deffinatly got the talent and the skillz so expect to see them there mid season and deffinatly at sugar.
that is crummy excuse. tell him if he beats me and has a time that should be in expert class i'm going to whip out some of the oppression!! ;) :dead:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
lol ill let them know manimal. im just the messenger here though so il do what i can to get his ass in expert, but im pretty sure they are planning on it at sugar and a few other races this year though so dont worry he will be there.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You shouldn't ever worry about sandbaggers. Its not time well spent. IMO, the class system is way off. There are a lot of people who should be in sport that are in expert.

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yeh i will deffinatly agree with you there dough. there were quite a few of them at the fontana race. ohh well what are we to do i say just let them move up whenever they feel ready.