Quantcast

Ideas on how to mount a sheet of wood to these shelving rails?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I need to hang something in our laundry area. Item in question hangs flush from a ~12" wide metal plate/bracket. We have shelving like the kind below (random HD photo) where I need to mount said bracket, so I want to just put a small board across the rails and bolt the bracket to it instead.

I'm struggling to come up with a good way to mount the wood to the shelving rails though.

1694990266568.png

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I need to hang something in our laundry area. Item in question hangs flush from a ~12" wide metal plate/bracket. We have shelving like the kind below (random HD photo) where I need to mount said bracket, so I want to just put a small board across the rails and bolt the bracket to it instead.

I'm struggling to come up with a good way to mount the wood to the shelving rails though.

View attachment 200678
Drill out or file the slots at the top of the metal rail on the wall slightly larger than the head of a screw. Insert the screws into the wood. Slide the screws into the rail and push it further into the slot. Use 2 screws for the middle rail.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Knape & Vogt John Sterling Dual Trak Adjustable Wood Shelf Bracket, 14-Inch, Platinum, 0122-14PM, 14 Inch

If you buy the brackets made for wood shelves you have holes for screws.

View attachment 200681
Unless I'm missing something that's not what I'm after. I need to mount the piece of wood parallel to the wall using the vertical rails, not have another shelf. This will give me a flat plane to mount the bracket for the laundry water thingy wife has acquired.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Can you rest the plywood on the top shelf and remove the upper most screws holding in the vertical brackets, re-screwing longer screws through the plywood and brackets?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Can you rest the plywood on the top shelf and remove the upper most screws holding in the vertical brackets, re-screwing longer screws through the plywood and brackets?
That's a good idea too. I didn't put the original shelves up, so not sure if the existing are into studs or just plaster board.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Unless I'm missing something that's not what I'm after. I need to mount the piece of wood parallel to the wall using the vertical rails, not have another shelf. This will give me a flat plane to mount the bracket for the laundry water thingy wife has acquired.
Seems I'm the one who misinterpreted.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Item in question hangs flush from a ~12" wide metal plate/bracket.
Seems I'm the one who misinterpreted.
to be fair, the orientation of how this hangs flush wasn't super clear. I was envisioning it hanging flush from the bottom of a shelf type thing, like Spider-Man or Ceiling Cat.

:D

anyway, in this case I'd find the studs, get some long deck screws, and just screw it in ignoring the rails.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

View attachment 200678
My preliminary advanced assessment is you could easily fit a small box of self-lighting safety flares on the upper shelf if you consolidated it better. No shelf is needed then.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can't you just bend one of the normal brackets at 90deg then screw it to the timber?
Wouldn't be great for heavy loads though.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Does the wood need to rest on top of the rails? Or could it go in between? Are the rails screwed into studs or just drywall anchors?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Surely there’s some sort of bracket that fits in those slots that would be used for hanging something like a cabinet on those rails.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Does the wood need to rest on top of the rails? Or could it go in between? Are the rails screwed into studs or just drywall anchors?
Not sure if directly into the studs or drywall. I was hoping to avoid more holes into the wall.
Surely there’s some sort of bracket that fits in those slots that would be used for hanging something like a cabinet on those rails.
That's exactly what I was hoping for, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

Right now longer screws into the existing rail mounts or somehow widening the slots and retaining an outward facing bolt are leading the potential solutions.