Quantcast

if Its July 10th then I have been sober for 30 years

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
If after eating too much liver you woke up in fountain outside a Howard Johnson's with a pant-load of **** that wasn't yours.
I hate when that happens.:rofl:

Guys I get it, quitting drinking is a big accomplishment, for someone who couldn't figure out the whole moderation is key thing in the beginning.

Some people argue it's a disease and a horrible addiction, I just don't feel that way. I just look at it is a matter of choice. I drink when I feel like it, and I don't drink when I don't feel like it.

I have alcoholic friends, and I think some of them are total ****ing idiots.

Congrats on not drinking for 30 years. I hope your health, family and friends benefitted from your decision.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Guys I get it, quitting drinking is a big accomplishment, for someone who couldn't figure out the whole moderation is key thing in the beginning.

Some people argue it's a disease and a horrible addiction, I just don't feel that way. I just look at it is a matter of choice. I drink when I feel like it, and I don't drink when I don't feel like it.

I have alcoholic friends, and I think some of them are total ****ing idiots.
:popcorn:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You're right. The body of scientific studies surrounding addiction and biological predilection to addiction must be wrong, since you "feel" like it's just a choice.

I'm glad we are in the presence of such unparalleled brilliance :rolleyes:

Congrats to Eric, I'm sure your family and friends are as grateful as you are.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
You're right. The body of scientific studies surrounding addiction and biological predilection to addiction must be wrong, since you "feel" like it's just a choice.

I'm glad we are in the presence of such unparalleled brilliance :rolleyes:

Congrats to Eric, I'm sure your family and friends are as grateful as you are.
you guys really should lighten up.

I am not going to continue to argue, but it's simply a choice.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
No, it's not.

Read more.

kthxbye.
yeah, it kinda is, instead of taking everything you read as gospel why don't you go out and experience some of these things first hand?

I smoked, I decided to quit, and I did.

I smoked pot, I decided to quit and I did.

I drank heavily at times in my life, i realized it was a waste and I stopped and currently I drink socially or lightly, or however you want to put it.

I made the choice, I had the will power to stick with it, and I did it. It was not a major accomplishment. It was self control and choice.

I know people who "can't" quit, they can't quit because they don't want to.

Is alcohol incredibly addictive? yes.
Is smoking addictive? yes.
Is pot addicitive? yes
Is cocaine addictive? yes.

Can you make the choice to get sober and stop using? Yes. But if you do not make the choice to decide to get sober you'll just blame the disease or the addiction.

I don't really care what some study says, or some article or some bull**** interwebz page says, it is all about personal choice, and you can either choose to pick up the beer, or you can choose not to, and if you are strong enough to make either choice you should be strong enough and smart enough to make the right choices at the right time.

clearly after 30 years of not drinking the original poster's choice is to abstain from alcohol 100%. Congrats, he made the choice.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
yeah, it kinda is, instead of taking everything you read as gospel why don't you go out and experience some of these things first hand?

I drank heavily at times in my life, i realized it was a waste and I stopped and currently I drink socially or lightly, or however you want to put it.

I made the choice, I had the will power to stick with it, and I did it. It was not a major accomplishment. It was self control and choice.

Is pot addicitive? yes

Can you make the choice to get sober and stop using? Yes. But if you do not make the choice to decide to get sober you'll just blame the disease or the addiction.

I don't really care what some study says, or some article or some bull**** interwebz page says, it is all about personal choice, and you can either choose to pick up the beer, or you can choose not to, and if you are strong enough to make either choice you should be strong enough and smart enough to make the right choices at the right time.

clearly after 30 years of not drinking the original poster's choice is to abstain from alcohol 100%. Congrats, he made the choice.
I heard Ridemonkey is addictive. You should quit it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Is pot addicitive? yes

The amount I drink can be barely described as moderate. So abstaining from drinking is hardly a challenge for me.

However, I have several friends who have serious trouble with alcohol. I cannot help them because they have not made the first step, which is acknowledging they have a problem.

Alcoholism is not as simple as if I drink, I become a homeless bum with no friends or family. Many alcoholics function in society: have jobs, relationships, never in trouble with the law.

However, being dependent on alcohol is really the problem, "Oh, I had a bad day at work, let me have a bottle of wine." "My mother-in-law is coming, where's my six-pack".

Of course, most alcoholics deal with their problem after a serious problem occurs, like a DUI or a family blowup. But just because you are able to function, doesn't mean you aren't dependent on alcohol as an anesthetizer.

So based on the several people who have problems, I always congratulate anyone who does quit drinking.

Good job Eric!