Quantcast

If you don't Own an SS you won't understand PERIOD.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
I recently took my cross town fully rigid commuter / xc mountain bike and made it a dedicated single speed and it is the best decsion since i sold my half assed free ride bike for a full on DH rig. I rode XC a long time ago and it lost its luster after a while something was missing so I gravitated into down hill and love it. As a trainning tool my SS was born and I love it on the trail. It is a magical ride I recomend it to everyone, all the technology is gone no gears to think about no peaking a climb and thinking i could have done that better in another gear. No bonking and feeling disapointed cuz i made a bad gear decsion at the bottom and...... just coasting who would have known what i was missing insesantly spinning my cranks. Now when i am on XC trails it is me and the ground all guts no gears when I make a climb or tech section I didn't make last time I earned it and I know it.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
meh. whatever. i own, and love to ride my SS. but.....i own and love to ride my other two mtbs, with gears. i also ride two bikes that are fixed. does that mean i'm more "core" or something? whatever.

who cares about the intellectual/elitist snobbery of whatever bike you or anyone else rides?

ride your bike, whatever kind it is, however you like to ride it. and enjoy it.

skajumper

Chimp
Mar 22, 2005
I just went singlespeed and i am beggining to understand. I only have one bike, and its now singlespeed, i hope it wasnt a mistake. But i guess if it was, i can just chuck my derailer back on.... Though i did break my right hand shifter taking it off....stupid magnesium *shakes fist*

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I own only one SS bike. You don't understand why.

I don't understand you not understanding.

I don't understand French either.

Therefore, you must be French.

I'm sorry.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I own two SS bikes and I still don't understand the gnar-er than thou attitude that some people get caught up in.

Cool that you're loving it, but bikey riding is bikey riding.

OldHouseMan

Chimp
May 14, 2005
I think I know what you are getting at...But it shouldn't matter what you are riding to get that feeling. I love to ride my full suspension, my road bike my commuter and soon to be completed SS. It is a good day when I get on any of these bikes to ride.

Aaron

J

JRB

It's a stupid attitude to say that single speed riding is better. More simplistic??? Yes. Better??? No. I too enjoy the road bike and the Dakar XC as much as the single speed.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
SS's are for going to your local brewpub. I have a growler beer holder on mine, so I have no time to shift or brake (my brake is a coster brake).

Therefore:
You can only be cool if you have a SS AND a coaster brake. None of this SS and hand levers... thats Ghay.

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
Oh yeah, Marvin? I think its pretty tight to be the first to the top on your single. Also gives a lot better cardio workout. Did anyone say no chain slap and better clearance?

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
SS'ing definitely will make an otherwise 'boring' or 'easy' trail more fun and challenging, and will REALLY work you on the tougher stuff. im into my second one now (pink surly 1x1) and i really love it, although im a little apprehensive about riding full rigid. i havent done that since my middle school days on my old huffy!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I was reading another guys commentary on SS-ing, and he said he liked the quiet pedaling from an SS. The whole rattle trap thing and all the gear noise etc. I like that. However, i wouldnt go so far as to say someone "wouldnt understand." I find that a bit eliteist and isolating. I ride gears and an SS, you just have to pick the right weapon for the battle...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a road bike, hardtail geared bike, SS hardtail, 4" XC bike and a 6" trail bike. Every time I ride one of them I just think how godammed fun it is and how great that particular bike is. Then the next time I ride one of the other bikes I think the same thing.