Quantcast

If you were to get a new FS Trail bike - what would your short list look like?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Okay Monkeys - just a little e-dreaming on my part, but I thought it might be a fun thread. If you were going to purchase a new trail bike right now (let's say 5 to 6 inches of travel with reasonable weight) what would be your Top Five short list of bikes/frames to consider?

Here's a shot from me:

1. Pivot Mach 5
2. Banshee Rune
3. Yeti 575
4. Rocky Mountain Slayer SLX
5. Morewood Shova ST

That's just my first five - I'll probably have a few others as this thing rolls along.

Notice - that not one 29er made that list as of right now. Although I'm looking forward to hearing the review of the new Niner Bikes Jet 9 frame.

Have at it Monkeys!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I was >< close to buying a El Mariachi LE instead of my Turner. Only reason I didn't was because I wasn't sure I wanted a SS as my only/main bike. Still I'd like to have EM I'll have to wait a bit.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
where's the love for your current bike??
You said a new FS trail bike... I do love my bike, but I'd not likely buy the same thing again. I can't see spending the money on something I already have. If there had been significant design changes, then maybe, but...

Plus, I can get a pretty good deal on Turner stuff through work...

J-Dubs

Monkey
Jul 10, 2006
Salem, MA
I just got a Giant Reign (not the X) and I couldn't be happier.

The others on list were;

Marin Wolf Ridge
Transition Covert

I'd give a hard look at the spec and geo of the Marin, given we're in NE.
I just got an offer I couldn't refuse for the Giant.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Nomad
Reign XO/X1
Slayer SXC70

Yeti, if I break into R464's house and borrow it in the midddle of the night

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I just got a Giant Reign (not the X) and I couldn't be happier.

The others on list were;

Marin Wolf Ridge
Transition Covert

I'd give a hard look at the spec and geo of the Marin, given we're in NE.
I just got an offer I couldn't refuse for the Giant.
J-Dubs - what do you mean about the Marin - that it should be a strong contender or that the geometry may be more west coast oriented??

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
<spam>
I'm taking my 575 to a swap meet this weekend if it does not sell it is going up on the classifieds
</spam>

I want a 4" trailbike. Basically a sturdy XC bike with slacker angles. I just feel the longer travel bikes deaden the riding experience for all but the harshest conditions

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
<spam>
I'm taking my 575 to a swap meet this weekend if it does not sell it is going up on the classifieds
</spam>

I want a 4" trailbike. Basically a sturdy XC bike with slacker angles. I just feel the longer travel bikes deaden the riding experience for all but the harshest conditions

Is there anything like that out there that would fit the bill Westy? Are you thinking more of a 4x type of bike that could still be used for trail riding?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Is there anything like that out there that would fit the bill Westy? Are you thinking more of a 4x type of bike that could still be used for trail riding?
The Giant Trance comes close but tire clearance is a big issue. I prefer steeper seat angles, slack ones hurt my back. I'm actually thinking about another Flux but with a 120mm fork, I just wish the TT was about .5" longer for this application. I'm going to see if I can get a loaner Stumpy FSR from the LBS. Loco was nice enough to loan me his when I rode down in Austin. Nice bike but I might be imbetween sizes.

Yeah, I'm a geometry snob.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
The Giant Trance comes close but tire clearance is a big issue. I prefer steeper seat angles, slack ones hurt my back. I'm actually thinking about another Flux but with a 120mm fork, I just wish the TT was about .5" longer for this application. I'm going to see if I can get a loaner Stumpy FSR from the LBS. Loco nice enough to loan me his when I rode down in Austin. Nice bike but I might be imbetween sizes.

Yeah, I'm a geometry snob.
Sultan?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Here are a few more that came to my mind:

1. Ibis Mojo - dw_link and carbon goodness
2. One of the more trail oriented offerings from Corsair Bikes
3. A New Old Stock 2004 era Balfa 2Step FR! Long Live Balfa!! :)
4. The new Cannondale Rize I saw at a local shop - 5" of travel and only 26 friggin pounds! Insane
5. Santa Cruz Nomad - cuz that's what all the Bikerag guys are riding ;)