Quantcast

If you're not offended yet...

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Personally, I've had about all the pink/Komen/ta-tas, boobies I care to hear about. After all these years and all this money raised, there should be a cure for cancer. Drug companies won't allow there to be a cure, so therefore, un pink my goddamn NFL!

More men were diagnosed with prostate cancer last year than women with breast cancer. Where's the brown ribbon and the I heart assholes bracelets?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Personally, I've had about all the pink/Komen/ta-tas, boobies I care to hear about. After all these years and all this money raised, there should be a cure for cancer. Drug companies won't allow there to be a cure, so therefore, un pink my goddamn NFL!

More men were diagnosed with prostate cancer last year than women with breast cancer. Where's the brown ribbon and the I heart assholes bracelets?
Couldn't agree more! How about a pink ribbon with a brown hole?

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007

You ain't ****tin!
"I love browneye" I can see it now!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Or money towards heart disease - way more health problems related to CVDs and it kills probably around 1.5 million in the US/year - including more women than breast cancer. Easy to take steps against it that prevent a variety of diseases, decrease depression from lack of exercise, and addresses other quality of life problems associated with heart disease. If you don't address it from an early age its a big problem with the gradual onset from childhood.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Was gonna write the same thing (although about colon cancer. I think you're wrong about prostates). Titties:Colons::Baby Seals:Pythons

Last edited:

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I dunno about the US but the NZ taxes on tobacco gathers $1.3 billion a year in government income.... That's quite a lot for a population base of 4.2million.
A pack of 20 is something like $17 now.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
After all these years and all this money raised, there should be a cure for cancer. Drug companies won't allow there to be a cure
BS. If any company was able to fix any type of cancer, it would be on the market so fast. It's not so easy.

"X cancer" is not a single disease, even though it people usually refer to it as if it were. There are more cellular processes than you want to know that can go off the tracks and result in cells dividing inappropriately. Most of these processes are things you wouldn't want to just shut down, even if it was possible, because they're necessary for the non-cancerous cells too, just in a better regulated fashion. And it's quite often impossible to tell what has gone wrong for any single individual.

As everyone seems to be realizing above, breast cancer is funded out of proportion. It's political, sexy, and has been sold well. You can put attractive and/or famous women in ads to talk about breast cancer. Prostates and colons not so much. They don't look as nice. You also can't exactly put people with Alzheimer's in ads to talk about the disease.

Marketing ends up driving political agendas, which determine, to an unfortunate extent, how the research investments get made. Breast cancer research is projected to receive $765 million in funding from the NIH in 2011. Prostate cancer is going to get $329 million. Malaria is getting $116 million.

Last edited: