Quantcast

IH Hollowpoint Q

JTN

Chimp
Feb 15, 2002
Norway
I'm about to buy a 2003 Hollowpoint Expert frame, but I'm not sure about the size. It just sais Medium on the frame, is that 17" or 19"?

Thanks

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by JTN
I'm about to buy a 2003 Hollowpoint Expert frame, but I'm not sure about the size. It just sais Medium on the frame, is that 17" or 19"?

Thanks
I'm guessing that 15",17",19",21" = S, M, L, XL.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
It also matters though where they are measuring from (and all the other measurements like tt length etc)....Some companies go center to center....others from center to top....makes a difference. I am riding the "19 inch" SGS DH model when I usually will ride a 17" bike. I found the 17" SGS DH too small and compact for my riding style (got to try out both sizes). Hope that helps.

Johnny "little guy with a big bike" Summach

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Our dropmachine.com Team is sponsored by Ironhorse and
i ride a hollowpoint expert 2004 in medium, its a 19" frame and it fits like one
this frame fits like a XC bike not a DH or 4X bike so order it so

on the other hand
i also ride a SGS DH Team, its a 19" which sounded huge but fits fine,

Trond

Monkey
Oct 22, 2002
Oslo, Norway
Hey JT,

I'd be more interested in checking out the geometry, especially TT, standover, HT angle and chainstays.

19" could work well, how tall are you again? 178cm? I am 181cm and rides the 19" Azonic Saber. Fits like a glove, because the geometry is spot on for me although I was put off by the 19" claimed size.

Trond

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Originally posted by JohnnyBoyDH
It also matters though where they are measuring from (and all the other measurements like tt length etc)....Some companies go center to center....others from center to top....makes a difference.
Iron Horse measures ST lengths center-to-top.

-ska todd

CraigH

Chimp
Jan 15, 2002
Vancouver, BC Canada
If you compare the geometry diagrams from a Hollowpoint to a SC Blur, a small HP is almost identical to a medium Blur.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/bicycles/blur.php?geo=1
Blur small top tube = 21.6"
" med " " = 22.7"
" large " " = 23.3"
HA = 70.5 deg to 71.5 deg depending on size
SA = 73 deg

Hollowpoint 15" top tube = 22.7"
" 17" " " = 23.3"
" 19" " " = 23.8"
HA = 66.5 deg or 71 deg depending on info source (catalog or web page)
SA = 71.4 deg

I've heard the 66.5 deg HA shown on the web page is incorrect, but it is still up.
http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/products/trail/expert.shtml

71 deg shown on page 10 here:
http://www.ironhorsebikes.com/IH_2004_catalog.pdf

One of my riding buddies just bought a HP Expert from the only BC dealer a couple of weeks ago.

BTW Todd, did you hear from the dealer about his issue? Apparently the guy at the store he was dealing with has gone on vaction for a week so he isn't sure what is up.

Edit to add URL links to 2 different HA for the Hollowpoint frames.