Quantcast

IH warranty no help...

freakyletta

Chimp
Apr 8, 2003
so I like IH, they are helpful (usually), and skatodd and dw are always on forums to help out, but my recent experience kind of sucks...

I noticed on my 2004 IH SGS DH Pro that the rebound adjuster on my swinger 4-way was running into and denting the cross piece of the linkage. I posted my concern and got an impressingly speedy response from ska todd telling me that the lower shock and been installed incorrectly and the rebound adjuster should be facing the opposite way. Cool, I thought I'd fix it with no worries, **** happens (especially when it's not assembled in the same country). So I end up having to tap the lower shock bolt out with a hammer to find that the rebound adjuster had be levering so hard against the linkage at full compression that it had bent the shock bolt a noticable amount (approximatley 3-4 degrees). (props to manitou for making such a burly adjuster, it seems to be fine)

So I figure that this isn't awesome, and it kind of bugs me because it's a new bike and all, so I call IH and tell them what happened (not at all being a dick about a warranty freebee, but definately expecting it), and they said that it was shock hardware and that I needed to talk to progressive about it. not completely understanding the progressive-answer relationship, I called progressive just to hear that it's not their shock so why the hell was I calling them. So I called answer, and they told me that it's not their hardware, but IH's, so I'd have to take it up with them. Full circle (jerk).

my beef is that it's obviously a warranty issue. they installed it incorrectly, which made something bend, and now they need to replace it, unless i understand everything ass backwards, that's how things work. so yeah, venting I guess, hoping the IH guys will read this and instead of taking offense (which i seriously don't mean) will want to help me out.

So for the time being, I tapped the bolt back in, tightened it up, and am out riding with the assumption that it won't snap and make my bike explode.

Amazing bike by the way.

-john

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Were did you buy the bike. LBS or Supergo? I think they might be responsible for incorrect assembly. Its not IHs job to assemble the bikes. Thats what you pay your LBS for. If you did buy mail order you could just go buy a new bolt and be done with it. It doesn't sound like the frame or the shock is badly damaged so all you need is a new bolt right?

As for people who always buy mail order, this is what you LBS is for. If you took this to the shop you bought it they would most definitly hook you up on the spot and install the bolt for you. (or they should at least)

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by freakyletta
so I like IH, they are helpful (usually), and skatodd and dw are always on forums to help out, but my recent experience kind of sucks...

I noticed on my 2004 IH SGS DH Pro that the rebound adjuster on my swinger 4-way was running into and denting the cross piece of the linkage. I posted my concern and got an impressingly speedy response from ska todd telling me that the lower shock and been installed incorrectly and the rebound adjuster should be facing the opposite way. Cool, I thought I'd fix it with no worries, **** happens (especially when it's not assembled in the same country). So I end up having to tap the lower shock bolt out with a hammer to find that the rebound adjuster had be levering so hard against the linkage at full compression that it had bent the shock bolt a noticable amount (approximatley 3-4 degrees). (props to manitou for making such a burly adjuster, it seems to be fine)

So I figure that this isn't awesome, and it kind of bugs me because it's a new bike and all, so I call IH and tell them what happened (not at all being a dick about a warranty freebee, but definately expecting it), and they said that it was shock hardware and that I needed to talk to progressive about it. not completely understanding the progressive-answer relationship, I called progressive just to hear that it's not their shock so why the hell was I calling them. So I called answer, and they told me that it's not their hardware, but IH's, so I'd have to take it up with them. Full circle (jerk).

my beef is that it's obviously a warranty issue. they installed it incorrectly, which made something bend, and now they need to replace it, unless i understand everything ass backwards, that's how things work. so yeah, venting I guess, hoping the IH guys will read this and instead of taking offense (which i seriously don't mean) will want to help me out.

So for the time being, I tapped the bolt back in, tightened it up, and am out riding with the assumption that it won't snap and make my bike explode.

Amazing bike by the way.

-john
Hey John,

This is pretty far out of my jurisdiction, being that I am only a independent contractor working on a per-bike basis with these guys, but I have an idea what happened here.

Your bike was a 2004, and some of the 04 frames run 5th elements, some Answer shocks.

Answer handles their own warranties, and Progressive handles their own warranties. When you told Progressive that you were running an Answer shock, this is most likely the reason why they told you to contact Iron Horse.

I suggest that you give Answer a ring again, and explain that you need a shock and why. Iron Horse does a lot of business with them, maybe you can get through. (they are still open today), and I am sure that Todd or Bruce will be in touch on Monday (Todd is on vacation, and the IH office is closed for the weekend now being that its 6:00 Friday) As soon as they are open on Monday I am sure they will try to help.

As for the assembly of your bike, actually, your shock could have been installed at 1 of 4 locations. 1) Taiwan Factory, 2) Supergo 3) Iron Horse's warehouse, 4) Your Dealer. Shocks have not always come bolted in on the SGS frames, but I dont know the particulars of this run. Also, FYI, I actually visited the factory in January and saw a LOT of correctly installedshocks, so it may be an anomalie. I havent seen or heard of any others, so who knows.

Anyways, best of luck, and I am sure that you will be taken care of.

Dave

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not to sound like a jerk, but is he shock bolt something special? I guess if it were me I would go to Wicks Hardware and match up a bolt for about a buck or 2, then go ride. Maybe let IH know what I had to do and let them decide if they wanted to replace it or send me a sticker or something.

Stuff happens, but is it some special bolt or something? If it's just a standard allen head bolt, you should be able to find one at any good fastener type hardware store.

I couldn't wait for a replacement, I would need to fix it and keep riding if I could. Not to say that the shock being mounted upside down doesn't suck, but if the worst that has hapend is a bent $1 bolt, big deal.

just my $.02

freakyletta

Chimp
Apr 8, 2003
thanks dw, I'll try to work things out on monday, in the meantime, do you think that the bent bolt will give me any problems?

jimmy... if it were that easy, it would be done. it is more of an "axel" than a bolt, threaded on both ends and sliding through some bushings. hard to find, went to the machine shop and they said about $50, don't worry, I have my bases covered.

-john

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by jimmydean
Not to sound like a jerk, but is he shock bolt something special? I guess if it were me I would go to Wicks Hardware and match up a bolt for about a buck or 2, then go ride. Maybe let IH know what I had to do and let them decide if they wanted to replace it or send me a sticker or something.

Stuff happens, but is it some special bolt or something? If it's just a standard allen head bolt, you should be able to find one at any good fastener type hardware store.

I couldn't wait for a replacement, I would need to fix it and keep riding if I could. Not to say that the shock being mounted upside down doesn't suck, but if the worst that has hapend is a bent $1 bolt, big deal.

just my $.02
yes, it is something special, because there's a steel axle that the shock pivots on, and then a bolt that goes through it. If he bent that steel axle, he is kinda screwed because it is somthing that he is going to have to get from iron horse. Iron Horse is responsable for adapting the shock for the frame.

on the other hand, if it is just the securing bolt (and not the axle), you can get a new bolt, nut, and some washers, and be good to go (at the hardware store).

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Originally posted by freakyletta

John,

Sorry if we dropped the ball on this. I am sure no one was purposely trying to mess you up here. If you called and asked for "shock hardware" then you would probably be told to contact the shock mfgr. If you called and asked for a "shock bolt" then that would be something we could assist you with. Two totally different things.

If you call Bruce or myself we'll be able to get you out a shock bolt today. You could also use almost any 8mm bolt available at your local hardware store if you were in a pinch.

-ska todd

ssaddict

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
Call me crazy, but I see know way in hell that little blue alloy adjuster is damaging your linkage or hardware, those things will snap off if you look at them funny. I agree you had the shock orientated the wrong way and that's probably why it's bent, but a 8mm shock bolt cannot be bent by a silly little alloy rebound adjuster. This is what your saying right? :confused:

Are you sure you didn't hit a big drop and maybe bent it?

I would also think about sending in that shock and maybe having is serviced just incase you may have damaged a seal on the adjuster.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by ssaddict
Call me crazy, but I see know way in hell that little blue alloy adjuster is damaging your linkage or hardware, those things will snap off if you look at them funny. I agree you had the shock orientated the wrong way and that's probably why it's bent, but a 8mm shock bolt cannot be bent by a silly little alloy rebound adjuster. This is what your saying right? :confused:

Are you sure you didn't hit a big drop and maybe bent it?

I would also think about sending in that shock and maybe having is serviced just incase you may have damaged a seal on the adjuster.
Same thing's happened to my SGS Team and my mate's SGS Team as well; there's a noticeable dent in the bolt-through bit in the link in both of em. I've also bent my shock bolt, but I don't know if that's cos of the adjuster hitting or what.

Aug 30, 2002
Snow hoes
Originally posted by ssaddict
Call me crazy, but I see know way in hell that little blue alloy adjuster is damaging your linkage or hardware, those things will snap off if you look at them funny.
woaaah, youd be suprised at how strong those adjuster knobs really are. I seriously bent the crossbar on the swingarm of my 2001 ironhorse sgs dh at full compression. As for IH warranty...I'm still waiting right now for a replacement swingarm for my 2003 hollowpoint, its been a month, and god i want to ride. hopefully it wont be much longer:rolleyes:

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Originally posted by VegiBikerDude
I'm still waiting right now for a replacement swingarm for my 2003 hollowpoint, its been a month, and god i want to ride. hopefully it wont be much longer
Call Bruce today and you will have it tommorow :)

-ska todd

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by ska todd
Call Bruce today and you will have it tommorow :)

-ska todd
this kind of shlt is why i like iron horse so much.if i were good enough to be sponsored there is no one i would rather support as a pro than these guys

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Originally posted by biggins
this kind of shlt is why i like iron horse so much.if i were good enough to be sponsored there is no one i would rather support as a pro than these guys
I wont lie, they're number one on my list to ride for.

spark4

Chimp
Apr 2, 2004
my blue rebound adjuster on my 4-way is hitting the crossbrace for the linkage too. i can tell because i can see a little scratch where it's been hitting. So should the blue rebound adjuster knob be facing towards your front tire?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
spark4 said:
my blue rebound adjuster on my 4-way is hitting the crossbrace for the linkage too. i can tell because i can see a little scratch where it's been hitting. So should the blue rebound adjuster knob be facing towards your front tire?
Yes, the blue rebound adjuster should be facing the front tire, AWAY from the crossbrace on the linkage.

Dave