Quantcast

Illustrator trouble

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Ok, I'm doing work for school and I'm working on two different computers; a G5 for class work and my macbook pro for homework. I use my flash drive to communicate between the two.

Now to my trouble, the other day in class I was working on a project in illustrator and saved it to my flash drive to work on at home later. I go to pull it up just now and when I click on it with illus closed it will get about half way through it's start up processes and then quit on me, when opening it with illus already open it shuts down illus.

I need some help to figure this out, first of all because it's making me angry, second of all because I was pretty much done with that project and I really don't want to start it over.

Thanks guys

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
It could be a variety of things. My first guess is that a font you used is corrupted on your computer. Or perhaps it's two different versions of Ill and your computer is the older one and instead of telling you that it can't open the file, it tries and gets confused.

If you have distiller, create a PDF and then try opening the PDF in Ill.

Maybe the file is just corrupted? Flash drives aren't perfect.

In the end, I'd guess a system error, either with Ill or the OS. You might have to reload one or both... start with Ill/CS.

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
They're both CS3, I have a distiller; but it won't open, is says "the application distiller quit unexpectadly". I'm guessing the file is just corrupted, something like this has happened before.

So, I'm SOL then? and I should just start over?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Was there a version saved at school? Either way, take the Flash to school and see if it will work there.

While at home, you can try placing it in InDesign. If you can, then you can export a PDF and then try opening the PDF in Ill.

While you can't edit it in Photoshop like you can in Ill, if you can open it in PS, then at least you can use that as a template to recreate.

If it's happened before, it's probably your computer. If these projects are important, then I'd back-up all your files, do a low level format on your harddrive (or just buy a new harddrive) and re-install everything. it's extreme, but if it keeps happening, it might be your only choice if you want to use that computer for real work.