Quantcast

Im a n00b.. i know i know...

davidhill

blumpkin catcher
Jan 29, 2007
Greenville, SC
Im a beginner and true n00b to the hardcore mountian biking scene. I, of course, have ridden bikes since I could walk but only recreationally around the neighborhood and crap like that. But I want to go big. The thought of screaming down a mountin trial or menuvering through rocky terrain or hitting dirt jumps and landing drops thrills me and I cant wait to get into that stuff. But like everything else in the world its very speciallized and you have to start small. And being the novice that I am I dont know too much about REAL mounting biking.. alot of the terms used in the sport mean nothing to me and I have no idea what some of the components of a bike do or what can be done to improve my riding and technical ability. But Im trying to learn as much as I can.

I am currently looking at a 2006 Iron Horse Maverick Trail SE. After talking to the guys at the bike shop (its actually Dicks Sporting Goods) I figured that this would be a good entry level bike that I can use to get my feet wet, learn about bikes, and upgrade it with aftermarket parts to turn it into a pretty decent bike. I am also going to get a pretty good deal on it, about $350, not bad considering the $600 MSRP. I know $600 is a cheap bike compared to the high end stuff, but im just starting out! Around here where I live (Greenville SC) there arent really any super hardcore trails that I know of, so most of my riding will be light to medium cross country action. Does this bike sound like a good buy for me??? What else could possibly be a good bike? And what should be my first upgrade or modification after buying the bike?

Also, what are the real differences between the riding classifications? I keep seeing terms like Cross County (XC), All Mountain, Free-ride (FR), and Down Hill (DH). If someone could explain what each of these terms refers to and what kind of terrain is assosiated with them that would be awesome.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
i dont know what that bike is but i would say, If you could, get a specialized Hardrock Sport disc, I had one for my First year on the mountain and it held up great, and the parts will last. I will come up with a link here in a while but Most actual specialized dealers [theres a search on there website], as long as it is not a chain shop will not charge you retail and will offer a free tune up after 30 or so days.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!

davidhill

blumpkin catcher
Jan 29, 2007
Greenville, SC
thanks for your help man!! I appreciate the effort
Ill look into the Specialized bikes..
what do you know about Diamondback bikes?? Ive taken a look at the DB Response Comp and its looks nice, with a great geometry, and the reviews ive seen are pretty good..

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
My first question to you would be, how much are you looking to spend on your first ride? In my opinion, I would stay away from deprtment store bikes. You can most likely find something used that would be much better than that. But it depends on what you are looking to spend. And by the sound of what you would like to do, you may just break one of those bikes from Dicks.

Now as far as the terms of mountain biking. You most likely already know XC or cross country bikes are meant for, well cross country riding, wich is alot of peddlin with some downs, and covering a vast area. So if your looking for a cross country bike you would want something light weight, travel is gonna vary from 2" to 4"(and I may be a little off on that cause I dont ride XC) with a frame geometry set up for peddlin. Basically this puts you in a more upright positon so your not killing your back and legs on long climbs these kind of bikes are not really meant for jumping or dropping, or serious down hills.

All mountain now these bikes are a good mix if you want to ride cross country and get started into downhill / freeride. These bikes would offer a slightly slacker toptube (if you dont know what that means it is just the angle that your top tube is set XC bikes are generally straight and the closer you get to downhill it angles more down, if you understand that, I dont really know how to explain it). With ALL MOUNTAIN type bikes they are set up for those "all day" rides and perform well climbing and fairly well on the downs. Travel usually varys from 4" to 6". These bikes jump and drop a little better but still not its intended purpose. And with all the bikes coming out in this catagory, that could vary too.

FREERIDE Ok now these bikes have a number of uses. Usually a little bit heavier than your XC or ALL MOUNTAIN, type bikes. If you want to jump and drop alot, this would be the right bike. Frame geometry is set up a little closer to a downhill bike, but usually a little lighter. These bikes are also trail / all mountain worthy, they are just a little beefier and meant to abuse. Alot of people will downhill with these bikes as well. Most of the time set up with a singe crown fork, or if they are more into downhill a dually. Travel ranges from 5" to 7".

DOWNHILL Downhill bikes are generally the heavy bikes ranging from 40to 50 lbs. Travel range is usually 8" to 9". And the frame geometry is slackest of all types of frames. Usually dont pedal all that well, but most companys are setting up linkages that peddal better than the "typical" downhill bikes. These bikes are meant to go fast "pinning it" down hill, meant to take big abuse. Usually with a longer wheel base for railing turns. These bikes can also be dropped with and jumped.

I hope that helped a little anyway. Now if you are from Greenville, SC, you are down there with a couple of our friends that are hardcore Mnt. bikers, and you are not far from some real good downs and all around trail riding. When you get your rig let me know, and I can help you out with places to go ride and a group of really great (well in my opinion) guys / gals to ride with. We can show you "the goods". Understand you will need atleast a helmet, to ride any of the places we go. You probubly already knew that, but it doesnt hurt to mention it. So like I said I hope to of been some help, Im no expert but riding is my only hobby, it is what I do. Im sure anyone at any experienced bike shop (not Dicks Sporting Goods), could answer any questions I havent answered clearly. Best of luck and maybe we will ride one day. L8er.

davidhill

blumpkin catcher
Jan 29, 2007
Greenville, SC
Thanks JohnBoy.. thats helped A LOT!!
Im currently looking at a Diamondback Response Comp, most likely the 06 model. I have heard a lot of good reviews on this bike and it sounds like it would be a good fit for me at this level in my riding. Im trying to stay away from those department store places like Dicks. I found the bike I want on Ebay, this guy is selling a new 06 Response Comp for just over $400, so I may take him up on it. Ill let you know when and what I end up buying, and I cant wait to hear from you on trails/groups in my area!! thanks again

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Good, Im glad I could help. So your thinking about a hardtail huh? Again what is your price range? Let me know and I'll tell ya if I see any deals, there is always someone selling frames or complete bikes. For a hardtail that looks like a very capable all mountain rig. Do you know what component spec it is set up with, i.e > fork, breaks, wheels? My only hardtail is my dirt jump bike. I've had all dullies besides that. My bike now is a Santa Cruz VP free with a Fox 40 on it. Best bike I've ever had, 8 1/2 inches travel, like a full on down hill bike and it peddels good too. Like I said let me know your price range, and I'll see if I might know of anything. And if you need parts or anything let me know, I have a couple connections, and can get most parts at a pretty good discount. And definatley let me know when your ready to ride, I know a couple guys who live in Greenville, and we can show you the goods.

davidhill

blumpkin catcher
Jan 29, 2007
Greenville, SC
The specs for the Response Comp are as follows:
Marzocchi MZ-Comp 120mm Fork w/ 30mm O.D.Stanchions
Avid BB5 Mechanical Disc Brakes w/ Avid FR5 Levers
Sram SX.5 9-spd Trigger Shifters
Sram SX-7 Rear Derailleur / X-7 Front Derailleur
Sun Ditchwitch Double Wall Rims
Kenda “Big Casing” 26x2.1 Klaw Tires
WTB Pure V Comp Saddle

I really have no idea what any of that any of that means.. lol
What are your thoughts??

and my price range is about $500 to $600 for now, i can get an 06 Response Comp for about that. The 07's sell for $650

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
I would say that spec doesnt look half bad. There are things you will most likely want to upgrade, fork, brakes. I would put hydrolic disc brakes on it if you plan on doing any downhill. And eventually you will want to upgrade your fork. To get started though that is a nice rig for the money. If I see anything else around in your price range I will let you know.

Oct 9, 2006
Have you thought about the Trek Session 7? They are a really great all around freeride/downhill and even a little pedaling kind of bike. They are a little more expensive...but there wont be any upgrade needed for a long time through your riding progression, that is until you wanted to start downhill racing. I live in Columbia SC and have one, along with five friends who are also riding them. Great bikes.

GotMyGED

Monkey
Mar 29, 2006
Knoxville
I know dicks has good prices, and if that is your main concern, buy it from dicks....but....the dicks in my town doesn't have an actual bike shop, just a spot on the floor for bikes. They dont have any way to do repairs or tune ups or anything. And the last time I checked, they didnt offer any free tune ups with the purchase of your bike. Also, chance are, when the bike was built, it was not done professionally. Just some part time high school kid went into the stock room and grabbed the box and kindof "half ass" assembled it.

If you are really serious about mountain biking, I would form a relationship with a local bike shop and purchase a bike from them. The benefits of your local bike shop are endless (on site mechanic, can handle warranty issues better, group rides, trail info, and you will usually meet some people that are cool to hang out with).