Quantcast

I'm a n00b. Question on countersteering

JGard

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
Boston, MA
Hello everyone. Just got myself a Specialized Allez Sport last week. I've gone on two long rides and I love it! Too bad my arse can't handle as much time as I've been spending on this thing. But I digress...

My question is about steering on the bicycle. I'm a motorcyclist, and when you turn a motorcycle, you "countersteer", which means you don't turn the handlebars, rather you push them in the direction in which you want to turn. This works for anything over 15mph or so.

So does this same philosophy pertain to road bikes...particularly when up at speed? Thanks!

JGard

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
Boston, MA
Well, as for turning. Should I try to lean more or steer more? I'm generally afraid to lean much on this thing...it's just so stinkin light, it frightens me! ha!

I live in Somerville, right near Tufts. Are you from the area? I've found that the Minuteman trail looks like it'll be my second home this summer. :)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you're coasting down a grade, you'll see that countersteering really does work to initiate the lean, but it's *really* subtle; so much so that it's really not even worth mentioning as such. It's pretty automatic for anyone who can turn a bicycle. The lean is really what gets you around the turn.

Cornering on a road bike is something I'm new to myself, and so I won't say that much, but cornering on dirt is very different from street or dirt motos...the lack of a throttle changes things. Like gastro said, no flat-tracking or super-moto cornering on a bicycle.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
MikeD said:
Like gastro said, no flat-tracking or super-moto cornering on a bicycle.

Well, maybe not flat-tracking per se, but it does happen when it gets really loose...the pros at big bear looked like this:

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
Go into the turn fully committed, then turn the bars the wrong direction. The other method is to jump off the top of a three-story building. A third method is to lay you balls on a table and beat them with a hammer. You are SO over-experienced. The hot new method is to actually ride and know what you're doing.

edo-chan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
sunny Gresham
Woo-hoo! Don't worry about counter-steer, just ride. If you're taught to ride motorcycles, you've been taught too much. Bike tires are so skinny that if you actively countersteer you'll plant your jaw on the ground. Ride some curves on the street--if you have to think about it, you're screwed anyway. Both motorcycles and bicycles should be natural and effortless to you. If not, take a cab!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Edo, countersteering doesn't work well on the high horse, either...

JGard

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
Boston, MA
well, I've been riding for years on motorcycles, so I'm plenty comfortable there.

And no, I don't think about it much on either vehicle, but I was just wondering.