Quantcast

I'm an athlete

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
LOL JK

I just need some new workout shirts. I usually swing by target and grab what's on sale. What's your favorite brand? Poly blend/wicking please, and liner shorts for "running" (lol who does that)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
LOL JK

I just need some new workout shirts. I usually swing by target and grab what's on sale. What's your favorite brand? Poly blend/wicking please, and liner shorts for "running" (lol who does that)
You seem like LuLu Lemon kind of guy.

I get whatever is at Target

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I usually end up using event t shirts as a base layer. That or one of the approx. 10M t shirts that working in the fitness industry has gotten me over the years...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
LOL JK

EMS had some great deals online. Wicking tech t-shirts for $8, long sleeve shirts for $16.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
I get all my stuff from Sierra Trading Post. The one here has a ton of athletic gear including bike stuff. They had a bunch of Pearl Izumi baggies with detachable liner for $30 last time I was in there, but not in my size. I did pick up a waterproof, windproof Body Glove vest MSRP $250 for $35. Definitely worth browsing around if you have one by you. I saw some name brand tech fabric shirts in there for $3 last time. They have different things than what is online. Just picked up new Nike sneakers for both my quickly growing boys for $25 each.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I used to buy UnderArmor shirts, then they changed the fit (seemed to change women's sizes as well since neither my girlfriend nor I like their fits anymore). Now I buy Nike Dri-Fit "Legend" t-shirts because they fit better.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Yeah no need to overthink this. Any sort of shirt with wicking material will do just fine. Anything you find at Target will suffice, or any of the sale stuff you can find in the places mentioned above. Most of my technical workout shirts are free ones I got from races, and those tend to be pretty cheap.

Don't be as cheap with lined running shorts, because chafing can be a real issue with cheaper shorts. Chafing of the groin, hips, thighs....you don't want that in your life. I am embarrassed to tell you what I pay, but you'll do just fine with Nike, Under Armor, Reebok, etc.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah no need to overthink this. Any sort of shirt with wicking material will do just fine. Anything you find at Target will suffice, or any of the sale stuff you can find in the places mentioned above. Most of my technical workout shirts are free ones I got from races, and those tend to be pretty cheap.

Don't be as cheap with lined running shorts, because chafing can be a real issue with cheaper shorts. Chafing of the groin, hips, thighs....you don't want that in your life. I am embarrassed to tell you what I pay, but you'll do just fine with Nike, Under Armor, Reebok, etc.
I'm not trying to find the best performing or even fitting shirts...I have a bunch of target/champion gear and it has been very solid. I also have some nike swag and it's very similar (if not cut a little better). Sadly the target stuff is not on sale right now, so I thought I'd see if people have other sources for cheap gear. I really don't care what I look like in the stuff, since I'm usually in the basement sweating and grunting (there's one for the no context thread).

I scored some gear from TJ's this morning, but I struggle with that store. Sometimes you get great items, but sometimes I swear it's not just high-end stuff marked down, but rather terrible crap with a high-end label stapled to it. Got a nike shirt and reebok shorts, so we'll see if they're as good as the target brand stuff that has been fine.

I just can't wait for my jonkranked RM athletic shirt to arrive :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I used to buy UnderArmor shirts, then they changed the fit (seemed to change women's sizes as well since neither my girlfriend nor I like their fits anymore). Now I buy Nike Dri-Fit "Legend" t-shirts because they fit better.
Is underarmouur stuff any good anymore? I have some of their very early compression gear and it's fantastic. Both a baselayer insulated shirt and a couple compression Ts/shorts- all have lasted many seasons of downhilling. All their new stuff is like neon orange camo baggy fit, and I haven't touched the brand since.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Is underarmouur stuff any good anymore? I have some of their very early compression gear and it's fantastic. Both a baselayer insulated shirt and a couple compression Ts/shorts- all have lasted many seasons of downhilling. All their new stuff is like neon orange camo baggy fit, and I haven't touched the brand since.
Eh, the materials seem okay. But their fit very suddenly went from a fitted athletic cut to baggy, on both of us, even in the same SKUs/models. Maybe 2-3 years ago.

I probably owned 10 UA shirts of various styles at one point, now I own 2 and one of them is a junk shirt I use when I'm working on my car.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Was it ever good? It popularized base layers that pretty much everyone serious with outside stuff already knew about. Base layers that fit as closely as possible are the warmest IME, it doesn't matter who makes the stuff. All their stuff has been around a long time before they came along.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Was it ever good? It popularized base layers that pretty much everyone serious with outside stuff already knew about. Base layers that fit as closely as possible are the warmest IME, it doesn't matter who makes the stuff. All their stuff has been around a long time before they came along.
I mean I literally just said I've had multiple baselayer stuff from them for 15 years without a single issue, so I would say yeah it's pretty good. I'm sure there's people on the internet who complain, but it's the internet. There are people who complain about people who complain on the internet.

They also rode the poly/wicking blend train when it wasn't that popular. Now it's everywhere, but I grew up with cotton baselayers in the 90s.