Quantcast

I'm driving from NV to MA. Help me plan a kick ass trip.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I'll be driving an old toyota pickup towing a trailer that probably is going to have way more stuff in it than it should. Fast is relative.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
D, in researching my Moab trip I've found that Rim Tours and Poison Spider Cycles run shuttles to Porc that sound a lot like the D-ville set-up...as in, sounds like you avoid a boring climb and can fairly easy to connect up with other people...plus that way someone else will know where you are. Prolly depends what day of the week and all but it's something to check out. I'm still gonna be out there week of Memorial Day, May 27 - June 4, stoked to fry!!

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
dfinn said:
I'll be driving an old toyota pickup towing a trailer that probably is going to have way more stuff in it than it should. Fast is relative.
Oh, in that case be prepared for 6 or so passes that need to be crossed and also consider that it's called the "loneliest road" for a reason. Very few vehicles and long distances (up to 100 miles) between what passes for civilization out there.

If you're the least bit worried about mechanical problems, take 80 instead.

50 is freakin beautiful though...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Mike B. said:
Stop in State College, PA for the R3 (Rothrock Ride) it's an IMBA epic. Lots of other good riding in that area as well and camping is abundant.

If you come through NY you should get one us western NY types to take you to Letchworth. One of the best xc trails I've ridden in NY.
I second State College. Awesome place. I am partial about Letchworth though. I am a local and I can go there anytime I want....

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
OGRipper said:
D, in researching my Moab trip I've found that Rim Tours and Poison Spider Cycles run shuttles to Porc that sound a lot like the D-ville set-up...as in, sounds like you avoid a boring climb and can fairly easy to connect up with other people...plus that way someone else will know where you are. Prolly depends what day of the week and all but it's something to check out. I'm still gonna be out there week of Memorial Day, May 27 - June 4, stoked to fry!!
Sounds like you are referring to the Kokopelli-UPS-MPS-LPS-Porcupine ride. If I only had one day, that would be my choice. The shuttle will probably be full so you can meet some folks to ride with. We did this ride a few weeks ago and I absolutely loved it. We were one of the first shuttle groups down the trail this year on a Tuesday following a Saturday dumping of snow. 40F at the top and 75F 27 miles away back in town.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
dfinn said:
Funny stuff. My mom was born and raised in Hatfield, and I spent a big part of my childhood and teenage years in south hadley, at brunelles marina. I also went to Umass.

Batchelor St is high up on my list of priorities for when I get home.
ZooMass, Class of 2001--Biology! In South Hadley, I lived right across the street from the shopping plaza with the Big Y in it.

I haven't been to the Batch since I left MA in 04...I miss those techy single tracks! Nothing like Raptor, Jacob's Ladder to get ya going!

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Does anyone know about good riding in ID, near Sun Valley?

If it's going to be stupid hot in moab then I'm thinking this could be a good alternate destination. Any thoughts?

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Got into Moab last night. It's a really nice drive on 70 getting into this area, we accidentally timed it perfectly and hit it right at sunset.

I plan to check out the slick rock trail tonight and then kokopelli first thing tomorrow morning. I'll need something to ride tomorrow night, any suggestions? Amasa back, sovereign?

It's nice here but damn hot.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
nope, not making it there. heading to michigan and ohio instead. any good riding near kalamazoo, mi?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
dfinn said:
Got into Moab last night. It's a really nice drive on 70 getting into this area, we accidentally timed it perfectly and hit it right at sunset.

I plan to check out the slick rock trail tonight and then kokopelli first thing tomorrow morning. I'll need something to ride tomorrow night, any suggestions? Amasa back, sovereign?

UPS/LPS. GO!

You stopping in SLC, by chance?

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
dfinn said:
nope, not making it there. heading to michigan and ohio instead. any good riding near kalamazoo, mi?
there is a couple of nice spots near kalamazoo. Fort Custer is roughly 20 mins NE and Yankee Springs is about 45 mins north. Ive ridden in Fort Custer and its a lot of fun.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
greenchris said:
there is a couple of nice spots near kalamazoo. Fort Custer is roughly 20 mins NE and Yankee Springs is about 45 mins north. Ive ridden in Fort Custer and its a lot of fun.
Yankee Springs is OK. I went to school in K'zoo and the riding around there was just OK. Not bad for the Midwest, I guess. :p

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
dfinn said:

Have fun man. Amasa is good if you are doing two rides a day, it's an out and back up and down a fairly gradual, rocky grade. Awesome views along the way and at the top, and a fun descent. There is a different, supposedly more tech route down called Jackson but I didn't get to hit it. Not sure but I think you might need a shuttle for the Jackson route.

If you can swing it, find someone to show you the Bartlett area.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
OGRipper said:
There is a different, supposedly more tech route down called Jackson but I didn't get to hit it. Not sure but I think you might need a shuttle for the Jackson route.
No shuttle needed. You ride out towards Pothole Arch, then you pick up Rockstacker which dumps you out on Jackson.

There are some cool wall ride sections on the way to Pothole.

Rockstacker is a "known" trail now so the cairns are easier to follow.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
blue said:
UPS/LPS. GO!
Rode that today. Fun trail. I ended up going through 3 tubes and a shifter lever. The water coming out of the spring at the end of the ride couldn't have tasted much better.

blue said:
You stopping in SLC, by chance?
Unfortunately not. Heading to SW Colorado tomorrow morning.

DH biker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2004
North East
Wompatuck State Park in MA has nice Singletrack but no great views. Head further North to NH and there is some great lift-serviced downhill biking.