Quantcast

I'm going to scream - now the HEAD TUBE ANGLE?!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Alfred said:
It may not. It sure seems like a short stem makes the steering faster.
Shorter stem will make the steering quicker - yep. That's a definite.

I know that because I've recently been switching between a 110mm and 120 and even with only 10mm difference my bike steers quicker and more to my liking with the 110mm stem.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
MMcG said:
Shorter stem will make the steering quicker - yep. That's a definite.

I know that because I've recently been switching between a 110mm and 120 and even with only 10mm difference my bike steers quicker and more to my liking with the 110mm stem.
Really? :confused: Why aren't DHers swerving all over the place then? My bikes all feel more stable with shorter stems.

Alfred

Monkey
Jul 27, 2006
McGRP01 said:
Really? :confused: Why aren't DHers swerving all over the place then? My bikes all feel more stable with shorter stems.
I think it's the big rocks, and it's technically "bouncing".

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
McGRP01 said:
Tigg - go put a 120mm stem on your DH bike and tell me if it steers quicker or if it feels slower.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
MMcG said:
Tigg - go put a 120mm stem on your DH bike and tell me if it steers quicker or if it feels slower.
You first.... ;)

Maybe I'm just missing something. I'll keep an eye out for when Sam Hill starts running a 120mm. :rofl: Maybe the key is stable at speed.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Tigg when you are racing DH, you aren't going around any switchbacks etc. etc. are you? Your steering is probably fairly minimal and quick right? You also want to be back or behind on the bike right? The shorter stem assists with that.

yeah the bike will feel more stable with the short stem but it will also steer quicker (or at least to me it would feel quicker). Hard to explain but you get what I'm driving at right?

Yet if you are on a trail ride and you have a short steep New England or Saratoga climb in front of you, if you have say a 50mm DH stem on your bike, your front end is gonna wanna lift up too easily right?

So for a trail bike I think something in the 90-120 range makes sense. Good balance of steering quickness yet not soo short as to hamper climbing capability. For some peeps you could even get away with slightly shorter too - say 70mm or so. But at some point going too short will start to hamper climbing ability in my opinion.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
With regards to sizing a good thing to consider are the longer rides we do on weekends MBC.....the small would stretch you out a bit more and might make those longer rides a bit comfier.

If you were racing 4x or something or doing short 1hour type rides with lots of jumping and small hucking and stuff, then maybe the XC would be more "flickable" if you will.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Back to this thread being about MBC again, here she is rockin out on a Small Yeti 575 for comparison purposes. I rode with her on this day and she did great on this bike, even with a longer stem and wider bars than she normally rides and without gripshift!

Wish I could post up more to see her in the just riding along position, but that's all I've got. Perhaps IAB has more he can share of MBC on this frame size.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Well if that could help.

Karine is the same height as MBC (5'-3") and bought a small.

She's running a 100mm stem and a setback seatpost at mid position.

I'd like to swap the stem for a 90mm just out of curiosity.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
MBC had a very good conversaion with the Titus folks this afternoon. I'm sure she'll tell you all about it when she gets home. :)

You know, they weren't this helpful when I ordered my bike. :mad: They must like chicks better.

I Are Baboon said:
MBC had a very good conversaion with the Titus folks this afternoon. I'm sure she'll tell you all about it when she gets home. :)

You know, they weren't this helpful when I ordered my bike. :mad: They must like chicks better.
Titus said definitely the small. We spent about 10 minutes talking about stem length, handlebar width, seatposts and forks too.

Good conversation :thumb:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
[Loud sirens, follows by skidding tires and pounding on the door.]

MBC: "Yes?"

PoPo: "Fashion Police here Ma'am. We've got a report that there are people in the vicinity wearing lycra and body armor on the same ride, and for the good of all cyclists we are here to take them down! Now give 'em up!"

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
OGRipper said:
[Loud sirens, follows by skidding tires and pounding on the door.]

MBC: "Yes?"

PoPo: "Fashion Police here Ma'am. We've got a report that there are people in the vicinity wearing lycra and body armor on the same ride, and for the good of all cyclists we are here to take them down! Now give 'em up!"
That law only applies to guys. It makes chicks look like they are wearing hot pants and stripper boots. :thumb:

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
MMcG said:
Check my edited post - the shop needs to contact Titus and get on the list.
Sorry....follow up post....

Mark, they are a dealer, just not a STOCKING dealer, that's why they're not on the list. You can order Titus through them though. Not that that does MBC all that much good...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
McGRP01 said:
Sorry....follow up post....

Mark, they are a dealer, just not a STOCKING dealer, that's why they're not on the list. You can order Titus through them though. Not that that does MBC are that much good...
I see. Good information though Tigg. thanks for checking in on it.

Feb 13, 2006
MtnBikerChk,

I would suggest using Go-Ride.com for your outfitting of the new bike. They are strong supporters of the DH race scene, they are an actual brick-and-mortar shop, their staff are quite knowledgeable and very friendly, and their pricing is very competitive.

Disclaimer: I am not one of their employees, and I am not related to or friends with any of their employees. I am simply someone who has bought frames and parts from them over the past 2 years, and have been very satisfied with them.