KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
The idea of a 4 banger full sized truck that isn't deisel just seems like a bad idea. But I can't find a truck that has been built to use as a truck for at least a decade, so there is that.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
75% of the trucks you see on the road never tow or haul shit, people just want them to feel like they have a big dick. That is why Ford makes so many F150's with the 2.7 Ecoboost and a rear end geared for great MPG's not towing capacity.
If people are going to shell out cash for trucks that get great fuel economy the manufacture's need to follow the money.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
75% of the trucks you see on the road never tow or haul shit, people just want them to feel like they have a big dick. That is why Ford makes so many F150's with the 2.7 Ecoboost and a rear end geared for great MPG's not towing capacity.
If people are going to shell out cash for trucks that get great fuel economy the manufacture's need to follow the money.
:stupid:

Any gasoline 4 door truck = "look at the minivan I didn't buy!"

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The idea of a 4 banger full sized truck that isn't deisel just seems like a bad idea. But I can't find a truck that has been built to use as a truck for at least a decade, so there is that.
The vast majority of trucks are used as daily drivers. The reality is they do not need the monster, hauling engine.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Just keep buying 90's F150s like me! They're silly cheap and get the job done.
I have a '92 Silverado 3/4 ton that has just over 200k. My F350 was just right, though. Vinyl floor and seat, manual windows, it was awesome.

The Toyota PreRunner is all you need to know about 95% of the truck buying market. :rofl:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The vast majority of trucks are used as daily drivers. The reality is they do not need the monster, hauling engine.
But I have to tow a trailer of rocks over an 8000’ pass at 85mph.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The auto manufactures laugh all the way to the bank. 75k trucks.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
But I have to tow a trailer of rocks over an 8000’ pass at 85mph.
Then you should be smart enough to get the truck that you actually need. Also, you would be an idiot for multiple other reasons.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
2.0 Liter 4 cylinders are getting similar power and torque specs to truck engines from a decade ago, and a 2.7 liter 4 banger is a huge 4 cylinder.

I am excited about the possibility of future engine swaps. One of those bastards in a '80 era BMW 3 series would be a riot.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
2.0 Liter 4 cylinders are getting similar power and torque specs to truck engines from a decade ago, and a 2.7 liter 4 banger is a huge 4 cylinder.

I am excited about the possibility of future engine swaps. One of those bastards in a '80 era BMW 3 series would be a riot.
Had this conversation with the engineering manager at work the other day. Some of the 4 bangers out there are very impressive and blast pretty much everything from 15-20+ years ago right out of the water.

They're great size wize and you can fit them into anything, I bet. Heck you can fit a modified STi engine into a VW Beetle...

But we ended the conversation both agreeing that these engine will not last the long haul, like some of those older V6 and V8's can. They're eventually going to go pop.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

i believe the engine in my brothers 86 ford thunderbird turbo coupe was a 2.4L turbo 4 cylinder....a glorified pinto motor.

believe it or not.....that was a fun fucking car.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had this conversation with the engineering manager at work the other day. Some of the 4 bangers out there are very impressive and blast pretty much everything from 15-20+ years ago right out of the water.

They're great size wize and you can fit them into anything, I bet. Heck you can fit a modified STi engine into a VW Beetle...

But we ended the conversation both agreeing that these engine will not last the long haul, like some of those older V6 and V8's can. They're eventually going to go pop.
For the same power certain parts of a 4 cylinder will be under higher load than an 8 cylinder, like rods and rod bearings. But your typical consumer automotive engine part is very much on the low end of the strength and quality possible. Put the right parts in it and it can last just as long. With half the parts you get twice the budget per part. This is the only reason why diesel engines last longer, they are built better.

So put in better parts than your typical V-8 motor, get an engine capable of the same power, same strength, half the machining, almost half the size and half the weight.

The only drawback I see is that US manufacturers, especially GM put half the budget into their 4 cylinders so the results have always been sub par. If they do the same thing the results will be the same. They will still have problems with consumers who try to compensate with personal deficiencies with displacement and cylinder count.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i believe the engine in my brothers 86 ford thunderbird turbo coupe was a 2.4L turbo 4 cylinder....a glorified pinto motor.

believe it or not.....that was a fun fucking car.
Some nut job out there figured out that a Volvo 4 valve DOHC head can be grafted onto those things. The resulting power numbers are kind of bonkers.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

The wifes mazda has a 2.5L, 4 cyl. 180 some horses IIRC. Not the fastest car I've ever driven by a long shot, but it is the fastest car I've ever owned. That little car really goes if you put the coal to it, and it doesn't have a turbo. In a smaller/lighter car it would be a hoot.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A few years ago I read an article saying that Ford Motor Company was making on average $13,000 profit on every F-150 sale.
FCA also makes bank on Jeeps. A couple of frame rails, two solid axles and just enough in between to pass as a 'modern' vehicle does not cost $30k to build.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
The idea of shutting down cylinders when demand is low has been around for ages . Going all the way back to GM's 2/4/8 motor.

What keeps it from being a missfire is timing the shutdown and rotating which one shuts down as to eliminate any engine vibration. Also would have a system to slightly open the valves to eliminate compression on the non firing cylinder....... The old 2/4/8 works great, but without the electronics on the engine and transmission we have today, it made the vehicle feel like it was shifting constantly......

With the new drive by wurebsystems, cvt transmissions, coil over plug designs and port fuel injection all added together with computer systems that could run all of NASA back 50 years ago..... Should work pretty damned good