Quantcast

Independence Weekend at Plattekill Bike Park-ESC#4-GES#3-Info-Schedule-Course Pics

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast

Independence Day Weekend and Downhill Racing at Plattekill Bike Park

It’s time again for a Catskill area tradition. Plattekill Bike Park in Roxbury, NY is hosting the Eastern States Cup and the Gravity East Downhill Series’ from Friday July 2nd to Monday July 5th, 2010.

Plattekill Bike Park pioneered the ESC series and was the first venue in the east to support the sport of downhill mountainbiking. Plattekill has already received entries from South America, Europe and across the United States. The event will have an international feel to it and a World Class track for the racers. The mountain features some of the most unique terrain anywhere. Red Clay, loose shale, steep chutes, roots and lots of natural drops. The Cat 2-3 and the Pro/Cat1 courses use that terrain to the fullest. The courses are new with plenty of features to make the race fun and challenging for all.

The event will have a festival feel with special events on Saturday. In addition to Downhill practice, Spooky Bikes will present The Great American Grassroots Dual Slalom, while Mad March Racing will be holding Downhill Racing Clinics and a unique footdown competition. Saturday’s dinner served in the lodge is a choice of Chicken Alfredo or Baked Ziti and Sausage. The dinner includes a fresh salad, garlic roll and a soda, all for $10.

The Downhill race will be contested on Sunday. This event is the 4th Eastern States Cup Series race and the 3rd GES race of 2010. The Eastern States Cup is in it’s inaugural season with races at Plattekill Bike Park and Mount Snow, VT. The ESC is being embraced by racers for its convenient locations and the affordable racing fees. The ESC pays cash to the top three racers in Pro as well as Cat1 and Cat 2. There are great prizes being handed out throughout the season as well.

$1000 PRO CASH PURSE
CASH 3 DEEP TO ALL CAT1 & CAT2 CLASSES
GREAT PRIZES TO BE AWARDED TO CAT3 CLASSES

SCHEDULE:
Friday, July 2
10am-5pm - race registration open, race practice and freeriding open to the public
Friday tickets: $30 if not racing, $20 if registered for DH race, FREE for Pro race entries

Saturday, July 3
9am-1pm race day registration open
9am-5pm - race practice and freeriding open to the public

Sunday, July 4

8am-10:30am race practice and registration open
10am-5pm - freeriding open to the public
11am Downhill Race begins

Monday, July 5

10am-5pm freeriding open to the public
Monday tickets: $20 if raced Sunday DH, $30 all others

REGISTRATION RATES (all include Saturday & Sunday lift ticket)
$50 Cat3(beginner)
$55 Cat2(sport)
$65 Cat1(expert)
$90 Pro (includes a FREE Friday ticket)

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast

The course from the top in sequence.

First berm against the tree after a small fast drop

Second berm leading to a rock kicker

Puddle jump

Platty Chute - short but hang on for what's ahead

little tech rock kicker/drop

Drop or roller?

Platty single track in the summer, just beautiful

Shades of Mount Snow - long FAST ski trail traverse

second drop on course - flat to flat -get that suspension dialed in

Bus Stop entrance - good luck finding a line - there are many

Bus Stop again - guess where it's name came from

Steeper than it looks

Another small drop on the Tin Man Jim M Line

The Tin Man is BAAAACK

The landing is down there a ways.

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
^^^The landing is closer than it looks...trust me. Still a good feature to gain some precious seconds. Platty Chute is like me...short and scary.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I'm racing Cat 1 cuz I'm super fast, but my best friend is racing Cat 2 and he wants to know what the course will be like :D

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
HAHA! Another Jim M line! I like that little drop. Now I remember Bus Stop, it's right after that drop. My wife wrecked pretty badly there a few years back (pre-kid) while riding with Bunkers. Tricky little area, but fun.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm racing Cat 1 cuz I'm super fast, but my best friend is racing Cat 2 and he wants to know what the course will be like :D
yeah I don't have an annual license...what's the deal with the cat 2?

I hate platty photos...I know everything from the top, but it all looks so different when you look up the mountain.

BUNKERCHUNKS

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
EAST COAST
HAHA! Another Jim M line! I like that little drop. Now I remember Bus Stop, it's right after that drop. My wife wrecked pretty badly there a few years back (pre-kid) while riding with Bunkers. Tricky little area, but fun.
I remember that Day..Your a lucky man Jim! A wife that rides DH :thumb:
The "The Bus Stop" will be in good shape all weekend. Have fun up there this weekend, the oily tuna from the Gulf stream are getting closer to shore cant make it..

BUNKERCHUNKS

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
EAST COAST
what was wrong with the other thread that Rich started?
There is nothing wrong with the thread Rich put up (again thank you Rich) I think it's good to have another thread with course photos and some more info. Just makes the people that really dig there feel much joy;) . Plus for the people that are heading up there this weekend, i feel it kinda pumps them up

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
~6hrs til Launch! Hanging with crazy biker people; old friends and new.

I will be scheming on Delta Beer and tent-shade.

Banzai

taht is awl

MasterofGroms

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
NorthEastern US
I've been around for quite awhile and have been to many races at many different locations.
I have never experienced an event with so many timing issues.
I sincerely beleive that many of the times listed were fabricated to prevent more reruns and more embarrassment for Laso and his inept timing system.
There is absolutely no excuse for this.
This was an example of how NOT to run an event.
Pathetic.
Props to the trail crew for putting together an awsome race course.
Too bad it got ruined by the timing mishaps.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
fwiw timing system is brand new - they got it for the Pro GRT. Beyond that idk what the issue was. Maybe the wiring on that side of the mountain is bad, maybe everyone got confused by lack of rain at a platty race.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
fwiw timing system is brand new - they got it for the Pro GRT. Beyond that idk what the issue was.
Maybe someone knows...?...could have been an issue interfacing with the GE timing vendor.....and not a wiring issue at all....

To the other poster, not sure it's valid to call Lazlo out without knowing all the facts....plus any facts could be skewed to support 'agendas'.

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
Maybe someone knows...?...could have been an issue interfacing with the GE timing vendor.....and not a wiring issue at all....

To the other poster, not sure it's valid to call Lazlo out without knowing all the facts....plus any facts could be skewed to support 'agendas'.
GES Timing vendor did not time this event, that is a fact. Plattekill times all there own events always..... What happened, only those timing the event can respond accuratrely.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I heard the dust being kicked up by people constantly skidding after their run was causing interference in the lasers. I also heard complaints of people walking in front of them at the bottom.

Nothing you can really do besides water the course or move the finish so people can't get near it.

I was pissed too, sitting in the sun for 3 hours waiting for my run to start...but everybody seemed super busy so there's no one to blame necessarily.

Runner

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
CT
I was pissed too, sitting in the sun for 3 hours waiting for my run to start...
That really screwed with a lot of the riders... you stop riding at 10:30 expecting to race in 2 hours, but instead you lose all your energy sitting at the top of the mountain until like 2:30.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
We have spent the last day and a half, working very hard to determine what the problem was. We ran approx 100 timed runs on Monday with zero issues. We now have it figured out and Laszlo will issue a report shortly.

Some things are definite:

Plattekill Bike Park is extremely sorry for the reruns and delays.

Plattekill has NEVER fabricated timing results and we are all greatly offended by that comment and insinuation.

The final results are 100% accurate and have been verified by our back up system. We have the tapes to prove that.

Plattekill uses the same great system as other timing companies that time GES races.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
That really screwed with a lot of the riders... you stop riding at 10:30 expecting to race in 2 hours, but instead you lose all your energy sitting at the top of the mountain until like 2:30.
Since we are having our own summer version of Festivus' airing of grievances here, I will let you know what bothered me: listening to 100 people sitting up on top of the hill complaining about how long the race took. Things happen, roll with it. I personally took a nice nap in the shade and chatted with fellow RM folks until we got going again. All that talk is a pure energy sapper.

(I have to admit, however that Laz's extended talks during the awards ceremonies did put me over the 'waiting' edge, though! :D)

JackTrade

Chimp
Jul 1, 2010
(I have to admit, however that Laz's extended talks during the awards ceremonies did put me over the 'waiting' edge, though! :D)
Ha! You and everyone else over the last 10 years. Love Plattekill and love all that Laz has done for DHing, but holy christ. Hand out the awards and let us all get on the road!

BUNKERCHUNKS

Monkey
Apr 8, 2008
EAST COAST
So, I have nothing to say about the timing. I'm sure my 20:22 was on point. :thumb:

But, I would like to point out something that it seems everybody else missed.

This picture is awesome. :rofl:
The " Yetti meets Murdock from A-team" caught on camera :thumb: thats good stuff.. The looks of the other people are classic

Last edited: