Quantcast

Inexpensive xc bike with good frame (and fork)

canuck88

Chimp
Jul 22, 2004
Hi all -

I was hit by a car last year and my frame and fork were pretty much toasted. I'd like to buy a new bike but really only care about the frame and the fork as I have all other parts (SRAM X.7 drivetrain, Ringle stem/bar, sun rims/LX hubs, etc)... I'm not a beginner, but I've been out of the loop for a while. I'll be riding mostly light XC, packed trails, and possibly commuting to work (I have a 2nd set of rims/hubs with slicks).

Are there any bikes out there that have a solid frame and a good fork but crap components that I can tear off and replace?

Or even just a really good frame on an inexpensive bike (and I'll stick a rigid Kona Project 2 on it)?

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Scott

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Check ebay...Nobody wants to buy XC HTs anymore, so you can get kiler deals, I got a brand new Homegrown for 150 bucks. Theres a few noname brands on there too, Leader and Fetish Cycles come to mind, you can usually find those for between 100 and 200 bucks.

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
I am also not a newbie, just on here. I also would check ebay as well. a lot of people still are into xc hardtails. prices just are low.

xblue what year was that homegrown?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
1999. Last ones made by Yeti. Brand new, and not much has changed in the way of XC HT frame construction for awhile :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah mines uglyass gold and black...I'm thinking of stripping it down, putting new decals on it, and then clearcoating it raw. Do you know of anywhere that I could get Schwinn (Homegrown preferred) decals from?

canuck88

Chimp
Jul 22, 2004
Thanks for the advice guys -

I ended up getting a Giant XTC1 with SID Team fork (and a bunch of other goodies) for $280 off ebay... 8/10 shape, which is good enough for me at that price.

Cheers

Scott

CrazyGambit

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
Heart of Dixie..
canuck88 said:
Thanks for the advice guys -

I ended up getting a Giant XTC1 with SID Team fork (and a bunch of other goodies) for $280 off ebay... 8/10 shape, which is good enough for me at that price.

Cheers

Scott
sounds like a good deal.. i say ride the piss out of it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Was it just the Frame and fork, or was it complete?

For even just the frame/fork, that is a smoking deal. If you got it complete...wow.

canuck88

Chimp
Jul 22, 2004
It was the frame, fork, stem, xt front derailleur, and seatpost... I already have all the other pieces (M572 crank, x.7 shifters, x.7 rear derailleur, SD7 brakes, etc)...

xbluethunderx said:
Was it just the Frame and fork, or was it complete?

For even just the frame/fork, that is a smoking deal. If you got it complete...wow.