Quantcast

Info needed from Phoenix Monkeys

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I need a little info from Phoenix monkeys ... :monkey:

My wife and I are looking for jobs (we are both teachers). We have both lived in mid-Missouri for most of our lives and we are looking to go somewhere different. My wife may have a job in the Glendale/Peoria area (and they may have a position for me too). It sounds like an awesome school but here's the kicker, I am mostly interested in north and northeast ... snow and mountains would be good.

So what's good about Phoenix? Sell me on it, please! :help:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Some people can't handle the long, hot summers.

I moved here 11 years ago because I love the desert, but the cool north is only a couple hours away and Flag, Sedona, Jerome etc. are all awesome places to go ride.

Oh, and the winters here are:

:monkeydance:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Basically what SB said.

The summer is hot. But you do acclimate. I grew up in Northern VT, up in the backwoods mountains. It was COLD there. First summer here, I thought I was going to die. Now I look forward to them.

Winter temps in the valley are perfect for riding. You can ride year round, just be smart about it in the summer (go early).

My sister and her husband are both school teachers in the Glendale area. They love it, great schools, great programs.

Great local riding scene, great trails.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Plenty of Mountains..lots of riders.. lots of trails. Snow is just a few hours away..Guess I didn't say anything different. LOL

Oh and there aren't many bothersome bugs.. like those stupid black fly's inthe north east.

If you go over to Mtbrrrrrrrrrrr you will see endless posts on the AZ forum.

Last edited:

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Thanks for the info.

What about non-riding life?

My one trip to the area a couple of years ago made me think it was stripmall-ville.
What about shows and bands and that sort of thing?

MattyBoyR6

Chimp
Oct 6, 2008
We get our fair share of shows. Metlica was down in Tucson not too long ago and we hosted Austrian Death Machine's first ever concert and their 2nd. Tempe market place has every 3rd Thurs concerts with decent bands. A few broadway numbers have come through here. I know Elmo's Green Thumb will be here in April!!

There are a lot of lakes. They get crowded by 8 am in the summer but winter wakeboarding is the best. Water is about 50deg air anywhere from 18-80. We just use dry suits.

Here's the big thing - IF you come out here the real big tall cacti (that's plural for cactus) is called a Saguaro. Pronounce it Sa-huaro. A dude from Washington I worked with alsways called them Sag-guaro. That is what his teacher there taught them.

Oh yeah there are a lot of hot ladies with fake boobies out here. So learn not to let your eyes wonder.