Quantcast

instead of going into a thread

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Instead of clicking on the thread, how do you set it up so you can just put the pointer on the title and a window pops up with part of the thread.

A few other forums like MTBR, have this.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It's forum-specific. Ridemonkey has to set it up on the server - all it does is configure it so the tooltip information is the first post of the thread.

RM indicated that it significantly increased server load when he enabled it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
wouldn't it reduce server load?

Of all the threads I open, I say I wouldn't have opened at least 1/3 if I RM had tooltips enabled.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
LordOpie said:
wouldn't it reduce server load?

Of all the threads I open, I say I wouldn't have opened at least 1/3 if I RM had tooltips enabled.
Probably not. Do you really view every thread on the page? Most people don't, and when you enable it, it goes through and visits the first post of EVERY thread on the page and sticks it into a tooltip.

So, it accesses every single thread, even ones you would have totally ignored, and when you click on the thread, it accesses it again.

That happens every time, too. When you go into a thread, and click out of the thread again. The threads you've already read. Every time. Think about how many times you view the threads list vs. how many times you're clicking on a thread - for every thread you click on, you're viewing the thread list again.