Quantcast

Intense BMX's

Apr 14, 2002
Los Osos, California
Has anyone seen/ridden either of the frames, the Sniper or the Uzzi MX? I am curious as to where I could get a frame as well...I assume I would have to go through an intense dealer, but I could be wrong. Thanks,
SeanG

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
i havent seen any of their new frames but if they are like the one that they came out with almost two years ago the frame is junk, they had a dual pinch bolt bottom bracket that even when tightened up you could still feel it flex and twist when you cranked out of the gate {from what I have been told}never ridden one, but any frame, especially a bmx frame with a pinch bolt b.b. cant be that strong, all the weight is transferred from there to the rear end and so on....hope that helps

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Yeah, that clamshell BB is a complete turn off to me. Taking a press fit application such as that and introducing another variable into such a highly stressed area of the frame has bad news written all over it. Especially with most new BMX frames (street frames now too) coming with euro BB shells these days, why would they produce an American sized BB shell frame?

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
i dont know why they are still doing it, but that frame came out a little over two years ago, before the whole euro craze. It looks a little tweaked now though. Either way Intense is retarded..."lets take a part of the frame that handles all of the stress and cut it in half and make it weaker" pretty dumb if you ask me

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
plus made in taiwan!!!! they sold the name for bmx to toby fenderson and he making them now..... nothing more than cheap tiizz overpriced....

Apr 14, 2002
Los Osos, California
Hey "Ignitefan", Everything that comes from taiwan is not cheap overpriced "tizz". Is Iron Horse a cheap, crappy brand? NO. Have you seen or ridden the bike? Do you know where I can get one? NO. So don't reply with **** like that to me.

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
WHOA BUDDY....... CALM DOWN....
I for one work for the first bicycle company to ever mass produce stuff out of taiwan....
so i am not dissign taiwan....
i was just mearly pointing out the intense bmx thing is a fraud....
the thing about intense bikes are the quality and heart that goes into them.....

unfortuantly intense isnt doing them any more toby henderson is....

the only place to get one right now is probikeparts.com i believe....

my statement was for the frame it is taiwan and not good taiwan for that matter and it is overpriced you are paying for the name.....

and in my opinion yes iron horse sucks!!!!!!
to bad billy griggs isnt making the intense frames because the few he made were real nice.........

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Didn't Billy go to work for Razor Scooters? That makes me sad... Though he did mention, I believe, that he would be doing some freelance design/fab work for various bike companies in the near future.

Originally posted by ignitefan
WHOA BUDDY....... CALM DOWN....
and in my opinion yes iron horse sucks!!!!!!
Then I guess you have never tried one. It ain't what it used to be, so get out of the time warp and see the world for what it is NOW, and imo they are damn decent bikes, ask any dh racer from the north east. Oh right, you never rode one. Never mind....

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
sorry...like i said my opinion man....

but taiwan makes good stuff.... unfortuantly i dont think iron horse is a good representation of it....
the azonic and felt dh stuff is prime example of great taiwan manufacturing......
made by astro...... great awsoem taiwan builders....
iron horse completes are good buys and good bikes....
but quality wise there is more taiwan out there that is nicer.....

but taiwan makes good stuff.... unfortuantly i dont think iron horse is a good representation of it....
the azonic and felt dh stuff is prime example of great taiwan manufacturing......
No worries, like me and Specialized, never want to touch them. Cheers:)

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Wasn't it Astro who built the GT iDrive DH's that had the rear triangle breakage issues?

-ska todd

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV

if by "not good stuff" you mean that the Iron Horse SGS frames won the World Cup overall and Junior World championships last year bone stock, so they are obviously a quality product, then yes, You are totally right!

you might be pissed because the Iron Horse line is super solid and outselling your line. I dont know.

What I do know is that this is a small industry, and slagging people on messageboards is, well... you know.

Whatever your thoughts are, I suggest you take a close look at an 04 Iron Horse SGS or Hollowpoint before you keep up that schtick.

Curious, what bike company exactly do you work for?

edit: Never mind, KHS/ Free Agent, Derek Ford, right on.

Keep on keepin on Derek, no hard feelings, see you in Taipei.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Originally posted by hardtail_schmuk
Any bike that is not made out of cromoly will not last for true dirtjumping.
How do you figure?

Because a bunch of aluminum frames are produced with little to no engineering work at all to help give them a chance, all aluminum frames are crap? Come on man, you know better than that. Fact is that there are just a lot of poorly designed aluminum frames on the market.

dw

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
dw..... do i know you???
but yeah i wasnt trying to slam anyone it may seem like that but i wasnt....
**** ill be the one to say or dh bikes were a joke.....
our news ones should be real nice.....
but iron horse is our main compititor next to fuji....
all 3 brands are vying for that next jump up.... but i never see iron horse out here in the west..... seems like a popular bike back east....

not sure if i am going to tapei this year......
hope so fun fun fun....

dw..... do i know you???
but yeah i wasnt trying to slam anyone it may seem like that but i wasnt....
our news ones should be real nice.....
all 3 brands are vying for that next jump up.... but i never see iron horse out here in the west..... seems like a popular bike back east....

not sure if i am going to tapei this year......
hope so fun fun fun....
You know buddy, this statement really didn't help to clarify your stand, now that you told the rest of the world that the brand you were talking about also happens to be your company's main competitor......Don't know what company you world for, but I know iron horse makes damn good bikes, and i live in Santa Cruz, so there is no reason why you shouldn't have seen one around here. Supergo regularly carries it and they are very, very competent machines, so when you come in here and bash them then tell us you are in competition with them, it only makes all the more suspicious of your motive. P.S., aluminum is every bit as good as steel, and the whole steel thing has been over played up the wazoo. Yes, it's harsh sometimes and fatigues, but that only becomes a problem on weight conscious models that maximizes the manipulation of tubing to save weight. On a properly built al ht or bmx, it can last you a life time. Haven't seen too many snapped imperials or Le Toys lately, I guess they are doing ok

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
i rode all over california and never once have i seen an iron horse.......
yeah they are at super go because almost everymail order company carries them after they get blown out by the distributor......
same with our brand......

and yes bashing a competitor may suck but hey gotta be brand loyal......

and when i talk about quality i am talking about the maching,welds, etc.....
the geomotry and suspension set up wins races (along with the rider)
but pros get new bikes every month....
so for the long haul i look at the quality of the whole package...
and iron horse is no frills but at the same time i think for the price there is better out there.......
dont take everything so serious...
like you said you dont touch specialized....although merida makes damn nice bikes....

and if you live in santa cruz you must be the odd man out there on an iron horse.....
all my buddys up there ar on karpiels and santa cruzs....

yeah they are at super go because almost everymail order company carries them after they get blown out by the distributor......

and iron horse is no frills but at the same time i think for the price there is better out there.......
like you said you dont touch specialized....although merida makes damn nice bikes....

and if you live in santa cruz you must be the odd man out there on an iron horse.....
all my buddys up there ar on karpiels and santa cruzs....

FYI we do ride Santa Cruz bikes a lot here, but I ride a trek and an Intense. Not an Ironhorse. Two of my buddies ride them, and they hold up just fine with dh + dirt jumps, and these were 2001 models. You should come up before calling us "Karpiel and Santa Cruz" riding people, the variety here will surpise you more than the quality of Iron Horse bikes.

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
yeah i grew up around there man i worked at calabzas cyclery for years.... i know what people ride around there...
i love rattlesnake.... great little run...
but yeah id say i know 30 guys up there on santa cruzs hahaha
but for the cash the iron horse is a good buy...
nut around there i have yet to hit many trails where you need a big beast....
those bullits seem like good bikes for the area.....
is mailbox still going???

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
but yeah i wasnt trying to slam anyone it may seem like that but i wasnt
Derek(ignitefan), if "Iron Horse sucks!" isn't a "slam" I'm not exactly sure what you were getting at. Perhaps you'd like to clarify your statement some. Being that you seem to be a newb I'll let you off the hook 1/2 easy ;)

Glad you said it and not me :p

all 3 brands are vying for that next jump up....
I've already made the jump. Have fun wrestling w/ Fuji for the scraps :D

but i never see iron horse out here in the west..... seems like a popular bike back east....

"popular back east" is prolly an understatement but, I remember seeing quite a few roaming the pits at Durango NCS and know of more than a few west coast :monkey:'s on SGS's and Hollowpoints.

<insert Weagle "HA!" here> Derek, Supergo is a stocking dealer. The bikes they sell aren't closeouts. IH hasn't had highend closeouts in a good while. Sorry to hear you guys have that problem though :(

No, being "brand loyal" is coming online and helping consumers with their questions, comments, etc or going to local events and races and lending a helping hand. Bashing is for newbs, tewls, and those without another leg to stand on.

<insert another Weagle "HA!" here> I don't know what planet you are living on Derek but if that's true then I handed out 12 SGS's each to Sam Hill and crew last season! Well, for the record Sam used a whooping 2 front triangles and 2 or 3 rear triangles over the course of the entire season! That included swapping out a frame to a cleaner looking frame when he went back home to Oz. If you're handing out a frame a month to your sponsored racers you might want to start checking your factory's QC a little more b/c that's way out of the norm!

Not to get into a pissing contest here but, care to elaborate? I have no probs going to-to-toe with ANYONE spec-to-spec.

There's a big difference between being too serious and calling people out on BS!! Those who've met myself and dw probably will attest that we are two of the least serious people you'll meet! Since I am "ska" todd I'll just leave you with some pearls of wisdom...

"Sometimes When you're fellin' like a winner
Well take a look around And see what's become of you
You're getting' cocky And you think you're getting' bigger
But if you ask me boys
You still haven't paid your dues
Pay some dues!!" - Spring Heeled Jack

-ska todd

schaefdog

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
Marysville WA
I just wanted to jump in and say that my pal has an IH SGS and its holding up great. It was a great bike for the money. I think if I was to buy a complete DH bike i would take a serious look at the SGS.....

Ignitefan, I don't really know you, but it seems to me that many of your responses are only out there to fuel your company KHS/Free Agent. Even though I think free agent bikes are a joke. No need to take that seriously. I posted about a zillion good BMX's for that guy in the other thread, and you tried to tell him that they aren't all 4130, and thats the most important thing.

It's not. BMX frames don't break very often, especially under a beginners feet. Cranks? they bend. Bars? they do too. Parts are what make a bike in the BMX world. I say this as a rider, not as some lame guy working for an even lamer company. I think that you are doing a piss poor job representing your company.

Just from the dealings in this thread I would avoid KHS/free agent. I commend dw and skatodd though. take a lesson from those guys would you? They really have their shiz together.

but remember, lighten up, dont take this seriously.

yeah i grew up around there man i worked at calabzas cyclery for years.... i know what people ride around there...
i love rattlesnake.... great little run...
but yeah id say i know 30 guys up there on santa cruzs hahaha
but for the cash the iron horse is a good buy...
nut around there i have yet to hit many trails where you need a big beast....
those bullits seem like good bikes for the area.....
is mailbox still going???
yep, still there. Dead Camper near by is fun little trail too, good for a dh ht run.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Originally posted by schaefdog

Just from the dealings in this thread I would avoid KHS/free agent.
I'd avoid them cuz their bikes are overbuilt, under-researched pieces of sh**. Seriously, ride something you can trust folks, smashing the ground with one's face is not pleasant.

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
ill take every ones words into consideration.... i can dish out i will take it to....
i guess i am a very opinionated person take pride in what i have a hand in our free agent bikes... which by the way stand to any ones complete bikes.... my oponion is buy a frame first the rest will come later....

but i guess my rudeness is why i am no longer in customer service hahaha
but i never said our bikes were better than iron horse.... i just said i thought there was better frame work from taiwan out there...
iron horse fuji and khs are all known for the spec value....
i wasnt debating the parts on them just frame build quality...
but to each his own.... sorry if i offended some one or they thought my opinion on here is for my company...
this was all on my own time and not for advertising or bringing another line down.....

i feel really bad that every one thinks i am just pro khs screw everything else which i am not.....

any ways why is iron horse in this thread how did this happen hahaha

but my apologies to alll my opinion on here does not reflect those of khs.....:cool:

lets just ride.....

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Last I heard Derek had not been with KHS in a full time capacity since the middle of last year. Whats up? Every bike line has its pros and cons. They have to spec. models that appeal to a wide range of price points. This is a small industry and the community inside the industry is even smaller. If you are going to show your *** do it in private(D.)

ignitefan

Chimp
Jul 11, 2002
San Jose
i never said our bikes were superior....
look through the thread when did i say khs is better than iron horse...
i stated i feel iron horse sucks....
my opinion.... pilots win the races the bike is half the battle....:rolleyes: