Quantcast

Intense M3 with a marz.66

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Im getting an intense m-3 and im thinking about getting it a marz. 66RC2X 180mm on it. The reason is because its cheaper than a 888, same adjustments and I think t would make it interesting.
Has anyone ever done this?
Or any pics of m-3s with a 66?
I would like your oppinion about it too.

Thanks,

Sebastian

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
A 180mm 66 is almost as tall as an 888 (taller if it is an '05 66)
The geometry should be fine.

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
i don't really see the point.

if you're racing, the 888 will do you better. if you're not racing, then why get an M3? just imo

edit: and you could always buy a fork used if you wanted to save money. maybe last year's 40?

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i am racing and love to DH. a single crown for DH really wont make that big of a difference other than making a full 360 turn of the handlebars. The 888 RC2x feels the same and only has 20mm or more travel. I havent found a cheaper fork than that brand new 66
the cheapest 06 40 that i found was 800. and the 66 is about 200 less.

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
i dunno, maybe it's preference, but i notice a difference between the 66 i'm currently using and the 888 i had before.

_*sTiTcHeS*_

Monkey
Apr 24, 2006
the bike will probably feel very unbalanced.

there is most deffintly a reason that you do not see m3s and v10s with single crowns. maybey if they could handle a 200mm travis SC...

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
the bike will probably feel very unbalanced. ...

there is most deffintly a reason that you do not see m3s and v10s with single crowns. maybey if they could handle a 200mm travis SC...
:imstupid:

Ive never heard such a ridiculous thing as the bike feeling unbalanced untill now! The travel difference is only 20MM!!! not 2 or more! sigle crown: 180mm. Dual crown: 200mm :lighten:

The only reason why you dont see m3s and v10s with single crowns is because they have only been around since 05 and a Dual wont turn by a untightened stem or some other reason.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
One of the guys over on MTBR had an M3 with the Travis on it. It actually looked pretty sharp. He got it from a factory rider, so it had the 1.5 HT on it.

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
you're spend how many $$ on the frame and then looking for the cheapest fork?

Its not the way to go in my opinion. If you cant afford what you want, just run what you can for now and save a little longer to get the fork you would really like on it

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
its not about wanting to get the cheapest. its about adjustability and quality. The 66 is the same as the 888. The only difference is that the 888 is a dual and has 20mm more of travel.
Because if i wanted the cheapest then i would go for a new travis dual for the same ammount... but I really dont like manitou, their forks are only trouble.

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
its not about wanting to get the cheapest. its about adjustability and quality. The 66 is the same as the 888. The only difference is that the 888 is a dual and has 20mm more of travel.
Because if i wanted the cheapest then i would go for a new travis dual for the same ammount... but I really dont like manitou, their forks are only trouble.
have you ridden an 888?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
so my question is what happend to the diamondback man. i mean you were pretty set on that thing and now you just all of a sudden are getting an m3???

originally posted by sbstianfreeride
a single crown for DH really wont make that big of a difference
ohh and im going to have to say that you are wrong man. dc and sc feel totally different and well react totally different when they are on the same bikes.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
well I decided to sell my 4X bike and get a real DH frame because i moved to Puerto Rico and theres no 4x here. Very few DJ places too. DH is the only thing that people do here. They have pretty hardcore places! So im going to be here for a year and race DH this year. I'm just gonna get a 4x bike later when I move back to the states.

But man I really didnt feel a difference when I rode this guys 66 and a 888. I have an 04 super T but I plan to sell it because I want a balanced bike(the intense website says 180-200mm fork for the m3). Im not a rich kid or anything so im screwed when it comes to getting money... So I just want to get everything with the money I get from the 4X bike and FR frame...
Are travis any good? Im afraid of manitou...

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i've had great luck with my travis triple, but the single crowns supposedly had some issues with breakage during the first year. that is all fixed now because manitou addressed the strength of their single crowns as well as the intrinsic cartridge's issues of occasional explosion. i have yet to have any issue with my fork and i still have the first year model with the iffy cartridge. feels great to me, i think the issue was mainly with bigger riders. anyways, i've also been a little weary of manitou products in the past, but i'd buy something from them again after having owned this travis, the fork is stiff as hell and works like a dream despite initial stiction issues. the new travis single seems to be holding up nicely according to some of my friends that got them. manitou's customer service was surprisingly good when my dad's old fork took a ****, so i think that should you have an issue with the fork, which is very unlikely at this point, manitou will be sure to take care of you. the 66 would likely work with the m3 as sag would likely help to balance the bike out nicely. if intense says 180mm will work, it will work. one way to make the front end taller if you should so desire is find the biggest lower headset cup you can, or fit a spacer under the lower race.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive ridden a dual crown since 1999.

99--junior t
00, 01, 02, 03--super ts
04, 05, 06--888s

I bought an 07 66 RC2X.

I really cant tell the difference in the 888 vs the 66. I love it. Do it.

Apr 16, 2005
Charlotte, NC
thanks a lot for the help guys. I'm going to see if I can get a 66 or a dual travis. depends on how much my bike sells for. Ill put up a pic of the bike when its built.

geeksher18

Chimp
Oct 23, 2004
San Antonio
Similar question... I curently have a Haro DHR with 170mm Manitou Sherman Slider + (non-evolve) and have never liked the SPV for DH. It's too harsh until blow off, making the front and rear suspension operate separately and unbalanced. Thinking about the 66RC2X: more travel, longer axle to crown. I just don't know about the single crown for DH. Any input???

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
This is all especulation, but posts I have seen say the DC Travis has been decent, but that the SC have had issues. I don't have any personal experience with it though.

I would keep my eyes out for a deal on Ebay. I just got a practically brand new 66 RC2 with ETA for 500. I'm stoked...