Quantcast

Interesting article about prejudice

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Originally posted by KrusteeButt
I thought this was a pretty interesting article, thought I'd share with everyone. Figured this was the most appropriate forum for it.

Harvard research on prejudice
Those "tests" are disturbing. I took most of them at school and found I have many unconscious biases.

So whats the point or lesson to be learned from this data?
(I had to write an essay about this question.)
Remember there are no wrong answers people, 4-6 double spaced pages please, follow APA format.

Archslater

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Indianapolis
Fascinating.....makes a lot of sense.

I grew up in a very white, very rural farm community in Indiana where there was only one black kid in my highschool. Even though I now live in a large city and have the concious knowledge that we are all created equal, I'm sure I still have these unconscious prejudices.

I suppose as the article suggests it just takes time and exposure to minorities in leadership roles before these unconscious prejudices begin to subside.

I would be interested to find what the subconscious reaction was from black students taking the tests.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I grew up in New Mexico where everyone is a nicely blended shade of toasty brown...

...I am prejudiced against kkk red necks and Louie Farakan...

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
i have a very good idea of just how predjudice I am.

and while i do have some and try on a regular basis to logically fight my bias, I was shocked to find out just how uncomfortable I am in a homogenous environment.

I grew up in Miami, Florida and when I moved to Denver, I went into (anti?) culture shock. Miami is way more diverse, like exponentially, and I found it interesting that I used to seek out (unconsciously) other races to communicate with, at least, on an occassional basis. I still do it, but now I'm conscious of it.

We darn whiteys are too alike ;) :devil: :D

(well, I'm a jew, so i'm not exactly "white")

KrusteeButt

I can't believe its not butter!
Jul 3, 2001
why the hell do YOU care?!
I'm also pretty aware of my biases. I think a whole lot has to do just with our upbringing. Like the article says, there's certainly a whole lot that our thinking process can "override" our subconscious.
After taking the "bias tests" at tolerance.org, I honestly can say that I wasn't really surprised by any of the results.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by KrusteeButt
I'm also pretty aware of my biases. I think a whole lot has to do just with our upbringing. Like the article says, there's certainly a whole lot that our thinking process can "override" our subconscious.
After taking the "bias tests" at tolerance.org, I honestly can say that I wasn't really surprised by any of the results.
Krustee's results...
Krustee sometimes gets tense when he sees blacks or mexicans, unless said black or mexican is your mother, in which case only a small part of him tenses up.

:devil: