Quantcast

Intermediate Tyre Choice

gav_dub100

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
Dublin
hey all,

At the minute i run a 2.5 minion dhf/ 2.5 highroller combo in all but the worst of conditions when i run wetscreams. So basically I'm looking into for a set of tyres that can be used in conditions in between or on tracks that are 50% rocky 50% forest slop.

I dont like swamp donkeys and cut spikes wear out to quickly for my liking. So i was looking at the intense intruder or the conti rain kings. The intruders are better value but the 4ply are ridiculously heavy and the 2ply are a folding bead. The rain kings's seem spot on but are that bit more expensive.

So really its between the 2ply intruders or the rain kings, basically should i man up and pay the extra €€€ or will the folding bead be ok?

Any other suggestions welcome except for the already ruled out swampys and 4sets a year cutties!

Cheers,
Gav :thumb:

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
I have got the 2ply intruders, while i only got like a week of ridning before my tracks frozesolid and got covered in snow, they performed really good on super soaked trails. my trails consist of maybe 30-50% rocks, with the rest black loamy soil and virtually no dirt. Overall good grip in loamy soil, dont drag to much, not overly sketch on iced up rock slabs just simply confidence inspiring. Definetly one of the best tires i have tried.

as to reliability didnt have any problem during the short time i used them, just run adequate pressure and you shouldnt have any problems.

I cant comment on the rain kings but from looking at the tread pattern it is a little more aimed towards real mudd and not loamy kind of surface. The rain kings will probably clear out mudd better than the intruders but not get the same kind of soil pentration as the intruders.

Last edited:

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i made a thread awhile ago about my impressions regarding the rain kings, but i'm still running them and i love them. they're not the fastest rolling tire, but they're relatively light for their size, the compound is really sticky, and they clear mud well. they ride better in loamy to soft conditions, not super thick, nasty mud. they aren't a spike and you won't get the same kind of soil penetration.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
Ran an Intense Intruder 2.35 2ply quite successfully in the front at several races of varying muddiness. Yes it a kevlar bead, but it will hold up to DH abuse on the front very well. I was reluctant to run it in the rear as i am over 210lbs. and have a penchant for very low tire pressures!
I cut the single center knob out which improved straight line braking bite and clearing. It wore very well, the rubber is a bit harder than maxxis super tacky. Tire translates to drier conditions well as the knobs are thick and stiff enough not to wander like wetscreams.

The rainking received very good reviews from a friend, the rubber is fantastic. it seemed that the thicker knob profile and the open thread allowed it to translate to drier or rockier conditions well. however, for the conditions it excels in the 2.5 is a bit too wide for my taste, this is a big ballon of a tire.

If i was in your boat i would get the cheaper Intruder in the front and run a minion in the rear for all but the sloppiest conditions. then i would go full wetscreams.

damn i think about tires too much.

pjm511

Chimp
Mar 8, 2009
check out the schwable muddy marys. they seem to fit the criteria you are looking for

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
check out the schwable muddy marys. they seem to fit the criteria you are looking for
2nd that Im sticking some on my ride now with the ground the way it is, most of its rooty granular and then the occasional OMG 4" diahrea. Boise doesnt drain well with the melted snow and it sits just beneath the surface so intermediate tire is perfect for this town.
I run it in Socal as well and it performed really well there too. Im moving back in summer and will run it year round there as well.
Great tire but alot of good choices out there.:thumb:

gav_dub100

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
Dublin
2nd that Im sticking some on my ride now with the ground the way it is, most of its rooty granular and then the occasional OMG 4" diahrea.
Cheers, checked these out and they seem to fit the bill! Definitely worth throwing into the mix. They are still more expensive than the intruders, but slightly cheaper then the Rain Kings. The only thing is I had a set of Schwalbe Fat Alberts come OEM on my new allmountain bike there recently and am not overly impressed with them. Although in saying that I had a set of Schwalbe years ago that i swore by, its so long ago i can't remember the model.

Your cheapest option: To cut down the mud spikes you already have
Cut spikes are great but I cant help but think that surely someone makes a dedicated intermediate tyre thats as good and will last longer! Maybe not... but worth a shot i reckon!

Cheers for all the help lads, i know i could just stick with cut spikes but i do feel that 4 sets a year is a too much! Also its amazing how a little boredom due to snow will make me over-think even the slightest thing... if its still here next week, it will be aerodynamic chainstay protectors.:eek:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Cheers, checked these out and they seem to fit the bill! Definitely worth throwing into the mix. They are still more expensive than the intruders, but slightly cheaper then the Rain Kings. The only thing is I had a set of Schwalbe Fat Alberts come OEM on my new allmountain bike there recently and am not overly impressed with them. Although in saying that I had a set of Schwalbe years ago that i swore by, its so long ago i can't remember the model.

.:eek:
Fat alberts and Muddy MArys are 2 different animals, They both have there place and the marys fit the bill for the riding style and terain as well as for drier conditions a big betty rear for pedalling in dry hard etc is a great combo.
I just stuck the Muddy marys on last night, bike came with minions 3c dhf so theyll hang from the rafters now.
Taking it out today to get it dialed in.

vtminuteman

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Sharon VT
Try the new Michelin comp 16 when it comes out(wildgrip'r descent 2.5). It was a great tire for the 50/50 conditions you speak of. Its ok on dry hard pack, excels in loam/soft damp soil, sticks to rocks, cuts through mud well. The ramped center knobs let it roll faster than any trimmed spike, but on the reverse have scooped braking knobs.

gav_dub100

Chimp
Aug 26, 2009
Dublin
Thanks for all the help guys, all the options suggested seem to be on a par, which leads me to just go for the ones with the best pricepoint, which for me is the 2ply intruders. Ill post up how they go when the trails thaw out and get some time on them.

Cheers,
Gav :thumb:

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
go with conti rain king 2.5 for wet muddy stuff and for the dry badass stuff go with "der kaiser"!

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I recommend the Muddy Mary as well.
LOL I have my schwalbe care package arriving this week, Im super stoked I was down to my last set of MM's.
Im also trying the wills and dans this time around, we are road tripping 300 miles up the get to the crappy muddy thick $h!t goo and rocks to run the dans and then Ill be rocking the new wills in Socal shortly.
Of course my MMs will be ready for the task and backup to running the new rubber.

Doing a Guey front and triple rear this year as well as sporting a MM rear, if its too slow then Ill cut knobs or big betty rear again.