Quantcast

Intesne M1 Questions

spookycycles

Chimp
Dec 15, 2004
Does anyone know where an m1 is most likely to crack? I am looking at one later and i want to check it out before i buy it. Any ideas? Let me know

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Umm, a lot of places. Around the bottom of the head tube and right through the middle of the chain stay yoke are 2 places. Also around the disc tabs. Check the hanger, too. I have a small verticle crack in mine. Its been there for a couple seasons and hasn't made a difference.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I cracked mine at the headtube/downtube junction. I hear chainstays are another spot to check.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The fact that people can easily list off a bunch of places that are "common" makes me wonder why anyone would buy these things aftermarket at all.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
One specific thing that I forgot to mention is that a friend of mine cracked the welds around the HT from having the bumpers of his Boxxer always hitting in the same spot.

dhspeedster

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
Yeah, thats about right. I would argue the headtube though. The headtubes with the 1" thick bands top and bottom don't seem as susseptible to cracking (although im open to correction on this). The Seatstays are the biggest concern although they are still available and relatively cheap to buy. The rear hangers arent replaceable but again, can be fixed. If you get a replaceable hanger from a newer intense you can take that and the seatstay to a reputable machine shop and get them to mill the seatstay to fit. The seatstay welds where the machined dropouts meet the top part of tubing is the weak spot.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
dropmachine.com said:
The fact that people can easily list off a bunch of places that are "common" makes me wonder why anyone would buy these things aftermarket at all.
A lot of that has to do with how many are out there (a lot)

STP

Chimp
Aug 1, 2004
San Francisco
Mine broke where the machined FSR link was welded to the seatstays. I also have two friends who broke their frames in the same spot. Intense replaced mine for no charge. (frame was just shy of 2 years old).

dhspeedster

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
CBJ said:
Yes, the M1 is the worst frame ever made.

Bollox, its a race frame and as such is built to a weight. Compared to how many are made the failure rate is average compared to many other manufacturers.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
So, if one is looking for a real race frame, - but it still has to be able to hold up, because I can not buy a new one every season...what should I get ???

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
seismic said:
So, if one is looking for a real race frame, - but it still has to be able to hold up, because I can not buy a new one every season...what should I get ???

An M-1 will hold just just as well as any other race frame. There are very few people out there that can ride them hard enough in race situations to kill it in a season.