Quantcast

IPod docks

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Anyone got any input on IPod docks & external sound systems? I am contemplating one for small spaces and have looked at a JVC model, forget the number...
Any inputs?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
get some speakers and just plug them in. it works, but you can always get the Bose docks. Those sound so badass. Right now i have mine running to a surround sound in my room with a big ol' sub.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I know you arn't asking this, but I have the dock that goes into my computer, then it charges the I-Pod, and I plug the speakers into the back of the dock and it plays. So im saving money because my surround sound goes to my TV, computer, and I-pod. I just got a extra long cable.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I have the iHome, it works well. But if you want awsome sound buy the bose, my friend has one and it sounds so awsome!!! It is a bit pricey. Out in the garage I just mounted some old computer speakers I had on the cealing [sp?], its great for when I am working on the bike or waxing my snowboard.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I know you arn't asking this, but I have the dock that goes into my computer, then it charges the I-Pod, and I plug the speakers into the back of the dock and it plays. So im saving money because my surround sound goes to my TV, computer, and I-pod. I just got a extra long cable.
How big are your speakers? I envisioned the tiny, tinny sounding ones people used to get for portable cd players.
I anticipate that I am going to be really pushed for space. No tv, just a laptop (Which I can charge it with...) no room for a sub.
Also $$ wise? The one I looked at was under $200. Not a huge object, but always a consideration.
Dock to computer to speakers?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I bought the Bose sound dock.. and although expensive, worth every penny
The sound is amazing , or course and the clarity and high volume is unmatched

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I have a system from Altec Lancing my sister gave me when I moved home and she moved out. I have 5 speakers and a sub. It's really good quality, and she said it didn't cost more than $200. The sub isn't huge either, it's about 2 X-Box's side by side. It stands up and you can hide it under something or put it under your desk. It has this remote volume control also. I like it alot more than I would like a docking system. I have the speakers pinned up in the 4 corners of my room and one above my television.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I have two docking systems. One is the JBL Soundstage (think that's the name). It rocks for as little as it is. Charges, and was more reasonably priced than some of the others. Then I also have the Dynex docking station that is basically for the Video Ipods. I have one of the new Ipods that you can play movies on. The Dynex station allows me to connect my Ipod to a TV to watch the movies on a full size screen. Awesome little gadget. it was $45 and even has a little remote.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
/confused.
Which of these kind of docks can I use with an existing stereo system? We've got a nice set of Carver components with some Bose 901's. I've got a second set of speakers wired into my kitchen. This is on a different floor of the house than all our computer stuff.

Most of my new music is on my computer, and so far I've just been burning the best of it onto CD's.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you have a receiver, you don't need a dock.

Just go to Radio Shack and buy an RCA to headphone adapter, costs a couple bucks, and plug it right into your receiver.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
excellent.
Downstairs we have an optical cable running from one of the computers to the home theatre system. That looks just right for upstairs.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
:thumb:

The iPod doesn't have optical or coaxial outputs without an adapter or docking station, which is why you have to use the headphone jack as the output.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Why isn't this working?
cord from Radio Shack, check
plugged into input @ back of amp, check
red to red, white to white, check
Input selection amp switch on front of amp switched to match back plug in, check
Ipod plugged into jack, check
iPod turned on, stereo turned on, check

Nothing?

What did I miss?

If you have a receiver, you don't need a dock.

Just go to Radio Shack and buy an RCA to headphone adapter, costs a couple bucks, and plug it right into your receiver.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Troubleshooting:

Check volume on both devices.

Plug your headphones into it, start the song playing so you can hear it in your headphones, then plug the new cable into the headphone jack.

Double check your inputs on the amp.

Switch to a different set of inputs on the amp, maybe a problem with the inputs.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I think I didn't have the jack pushed into the ipod far enough.:disgust1:

those music files sound like crap on a really nice system. (Carver w/Bose)