Quantcast

Iron Horse SGS DH Bike

GiantAC1dh

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Georgia
Here is my New Iron Horse SGS downhill bike. Brady(Taz) and I built the frame up this weekend. It weighs 43.5 lbs. Enjoy!

03 Iron Horse Frame
04 Chainstay
5th Element
03 Super T
Chris King Headset
Thomson Stem and Post
Sun Singletrack Wheelset
Hayes Disc Brakes
Mr. Dirt Chainguide
ODI Intense Grips
Easton EA70 Handlebars
2.5 Maxxis Minon Front and Mobster Rear Tire
Road Cassette
XTR Der
Selle Itallia Seat
Race Face North Shore Cranks
FSA Bottom Bracket
Mosh Pedals

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by MMcG
Great photos - what did you use to get the CK headset to fit the 1.5 headtube?
1.5" reducer cups. FSA makes them.. I know some other companies do too.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Originally posted by binary visions
1.5" reducer cups. FSA makes them.. I know some other companies do too.
oh yeah - thanks Binary! That bike looks really really sharp! Just something "fast looking" about it you know.

GiantAC1dh

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Georgia
Originally posted by MMcG
oh yeah - thanks Binary! That bike looks really really sharp! Just something "fast looking" about it you know.
It definately rides nice. The new chainstays are a lot stonger. I need the new linkages now.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Are you really touting the fact that you use hayes brakes? Hmm, lately I've been tricked into thinking that Hopes are the only brakes that exist anymore.

Slick looking ride man, that thru axle rear end must be nice, I wish I could get a through axle rear for my AS-X.

GiantAC1dh

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Georgia
Originally posted by Kornphlake
Are you really touting the fact that you use hayes brakes? Hmm, lately I've been tricked into thinking that Hopes are the only brakes that exist anymore.

Slick looking ride man, that thru axle rear end must be nice, I wish I could get a through axle rear for my AS-X.
I was just trying to get that Artsy shot but it obvisously didn't work. I ride with hopes on my street bike. I like the feel of a hayes brake for downhill. But for street I like my hopes because they aren't as sensitive as Hayes.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Nice dude, the SGSs are nuts... I love mine.

One bit of advice though - take out the derailleur hanger bolts and replace them with something longer, like bidon cage bolts (the size is M5 I think). The stock ones are really short and prone to pulling out and stripping a short part of the thread, which is weird cos the hole is quite deep.

That's a really cool build too.

TYM

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Torrance CA
Where is everyone getting the '03 SGS frames with the '04 swingarm?

Nice bike ... I'm hoping to get one too.

GiantAC1dh

Chimp
Mar 30, 2003
Georgia
Originally posted by thaflyinfatman
Nice dude, the SGSs are nuts... I love mine.

One bit of advice though - take out the derailleur hanger bolts and replace them with something longer, like bidon cage bolts (the size is M5 I think). The stock ones are really short and prone to pulling out and stripping a short part of the thread, which is weird cos the hole is quite deep.

That's a really cool build too.
Yeah, I have already made the hanger modification. We drilled out the existing hole and made it larger. Then we taped in new threads. The original bolts were really short.
We also modified the cylinder that the rear shock bolt resides in. Have you heard about that? File down the cylinder a few millimeters. This allows the bolt to tighten the linkage plate. Rather than tightening against the cylinder. Overall it helps stiffen the linkage. Heard about it through a friend from D.W.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Originally posted by GiantAC1dh
Yeah, I have already made the hanger modification. We drilled out the existing hole and made it larger. Then we taped in new threads. The original bolts were really short.
We also modified the cylinder that the rear shock bolt resides in. Have you heard about that? File down the cylinder a few millimeters. This allows the bolt to tighten the linkage plate. Rather than tightening against the cylinder. Overall it helps stiffen the linkage. Heard about it through a friend from D.W.
Yeah, I gotta do that, otherwise it gets play in the mount. Thanks for the tip btw!