Quantcast

Iron Horse

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
What do you guys think about Iron Horses. I talked to a guy at my local bike shop and he said that they are OK bikes. He said something about how Iron Horse gets the rights from other bike companies and basicly remakes the bike. I haven't found this out if it is true or not. I have searched on the internet to see if it is true. Does anybody know? Well anyways I am interested in getting a 2005 Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki (the 26" one). I want it because I can get it for less than $1000 and I figure I am not a "hard core" freerider. Has anybody riden/owned a Yakuza Aniki? And if anybody has, what did/do you think of it. Also if anyone has/had one what size would fit me if I am about 6' tall.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
I talked to a guy at my local bike shop and he said that they are OK bikes. He said something about how Iron Horse gets the rights from other bike companies and basicly remakes the bike.
Sometimes people that work in bike shops and talk about products they know nothing about shouldn't be working in bike shops

Tell him about the DW link...

Maybe in the past...I know that the Profile DR-1 used to be used by IH.

The Yakuza Aniki looks good on paper. Looking at the parts spec, it seems to be an entry level dualie w/ Single pivot design.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Not personally. I've only ridden on Norco, Cove and Santa Cruz.

My friend, MikeT, rides an older Iron Horse G-spot. He's had no problems with the frame, other than having to do routine maintenance and get his rear shock serviced.

I did have a tough time choosing between new frames this year, SC Bullit and the newer IH 7point7 frame; I opted for the Bullit w/ fox dhx5.0. But, I still might want purchase an IH 7point7 frame later on in the year.

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
without trying to sound like some cheezy ad.

Just look at their whole 05 line for mountain bikes. There are a lot of choices of bikes aimed at different budgets and riding.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
spectaculardark said:
What do you guys think about Iron Horses. I talked to a guy at my local bike shop and he said that they are OK bikes. He said something about how Iron Horse gets the rights from other bike companies and basicly remakes the bike. I haven't found this out if it is true or not. I have searched on the internet to see if it is true. Does anybody know? Well anyways I am interested in getting a 2005 Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki (the 26" one). I want it because I can get it for less than $1000 and I figure I am not a "hard core" freerider. Has anybody riden/owned a Yakuza Aniki? And if anybody has, what did/do you think of it. Also if anyone has/had one what size would fit me if I am about 6' tall.
The Iron Horse brand means many things to different people. To many LBS's it is a second tier Taiwanese brand. To riders, it is a Supergo discounted bike with, up until this year, a Horst-link design. And to many RM's, it is Dave Weigle's DW-link design which is generating a huge buzz.

Specifically about the Yakuza Aniki: It looks like your basic single pivot bike, not much better than a Haro or a Specialized Big Hit SPEC. I don't like the fork but the parts look decent.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
stoney98 said:
search function.
The product manager from IH (SkaTodd) - the dude who specs the bikes, the designer (DW), and another kat from IH are all on the forum.
2-3 years ago they were a step behind, this year they are the fore front. To put it into context, A LOT of people on this forum have been riding for "top level" companies for years, and are switching to IH because of the new susp. design (dw-link).
When sponsored expert+ level riders are leaving their sponsors in exodus scale and going a full privateer to a "new" design/"lesser" company, that say ALOT about the bike.
Also, Evil bikes/E.13 components, I'm sure you know them. They are great bikes/components, VERY well designed. They are also designed by DW, so the engineering is there. They are welded at the Giant factory, as are a butt-ton of other bikes, the quality is there. Todd has a hard-on for passing value to the buyers, the passion is there.

Ironhorse are good bikes.
way to chime in stoney:

:stupid:

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
spectaculardark said:
yeh thanks have you had any experience with an Iron Horse??
I still have a '00 G-spot, which was the precursor to the SGS. Came stock as 4.5" of travel front and rear (although I put a marz Z1 on it later on)... I beat the living snot out of that bike... want proof: Check out the pictures I posted in this thread: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119564&page=2

Their bikes are well made – held up to a TON of abuse from someone that is terrible about daily/frequent maintenance.

And they are good people - I had an issue with the rear hub… they sent me a new wheel.

I’ve ridden a friends 7point7… and it feels great – if I had the $$$ I’d get one myself!

Even their budget lines of bikes are going to be made to take the abuse – you can’t go wrong with them… imho

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
spectaculardark said:
Well, I've never ridden one extensively but send schwaaa31 a PM and ask him what he thinks about them.

Personally I would never ride one.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
spectaculardark said:
yeh thanks have you had any experience with an Iron Horse??
I've got an 02 IH SGS DH Pro and my buddy has an 03 IH SGS Expert. Great travel, but they don't pedal that well going up the hill. The frames are solid.

Apr 3, 2005
12th smartest state
ok sweet guys thanks. i posted a while ago about maybe buying a 05 stinky but my parents are going to be lending me the money when I get a job and I will pay them back and they dont want to lend me $1900 so I am tring to find a good beginer freeride bike so i guess the Yakuza Aniki should be pretty good for me.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
Supergo is the best place for Iron Horse bikes. It's nice being able to check out every model first hand. I don't know about other supergo stores, but the one in Seattle has TONS of them to choose from.

IMO, screw Specialized. They are too over priced, and thier marketing makes it seem like no other bike is even 50% of thier stuff.

Consensus seems to stand that DW-link is much better than VPP.

Supergo offers some killer prices on Iron Horse bikes, esp. considering they also offer the best suspension design on the market.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
ok got my 7point7.. and i am loving it.. what a greta bike.. I felt natural on it immediatly and i bougjht it never riding it first... great pedaling.. great for freeriding... not DH heavy.. and it could even be made lighter.... I havent been off it all weekend... even in the rain!!!!!!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
stoney98 said:
They are welded at the Giant factory, as are a butt-ton of other bikes, the quality is there.
Ironhorse are good bikes.
Lots of good info but this part is not true in the case of the Sunday. The Sunday Factory is made by Kinesis USA and the Sunday Team and World Cup are made by Kinesis Tawian.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
I have been looking for a new or used Yakuza Aniki for less than $1000 for about a month now... Where did you find this deal? I live in the PNW, so if it is at the Seattle store, that would be awesome. I'm 7 hours from Seattle, so I can't go check.

Anybody know where I could get the Yakuza Aniki for <$1000?

Ohio_Huck

Chimp
May 15, 2005
Cleveland Ohio
yeah, i ride an iron horse G spot (02) they are nice frames, and the new iron horses are a million times nicer than the ones a fee years ago. the last generation SGS frames were SICK, and the new stuff is super nice too. they are so damn cheap for what you get, and the Customer Sevrice is really good. Bruce is a cool cat. they didnt have all the parts for a bushing kit in (normally 40 bucks) so he said it would be a day extra, and would be free! SWEET!!!!

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Unless you have some spare parts lying around, I'd recommend you (if you get the bike) just ride it pure stock for a month or so - just to see what you don't like.

But, if you see yourself doing alot of upgrades in a short period of time, you might want to consider just getting the next model up in the line.

Heartily suggest you consider the Ojiki (step up from the Aniki). For a difference of a few hundred bills you get hydraulic brakes, better fork with 1" more travel, and slightly better components (don't know if it's the same shock).

I FINALLY took my Ojiki out over Memorial Day to Snowshoe, WV. Is it a great FR ride? Yes...for the money. Would I rather have a 7 Point? Hell yes, but it isn't worth the cash to me yet. The single pivot design is very active and well placed. There is some noticeable brake jack, but for the price that's expected.

All in all...awesome bikes, and I'm more than happy with my decision. Only thing I'll upgrade when the time comes is the fork, but it'll more than suffice for quite some time.

If cost is THAT big of a factor get the Aniki...but you'll spend way more than the difference in price if you ever decide to upgrade to hydros let alone a new fork as well. Just some food for thought.

IH bikes in general, though...I love. I have an '03 Hollowpoint Expert, the Ojiki, and a Warrior Comp hardtail frame that I speced out with full XT, Fox Float, etc. Well built, stiff, and reasonably light frame that looks great. I've been very impressed with IH as of late.

creede

Chimp
Mar 16, 2005
Salt Lake City, UT
Ride it before you buy it. I rode a 7.3 at go ride and I absolutely love the DW link. Unfortunately I hated the stance. It actually popped a seal and seized on my 5 min test ride. Not to impressive. I took the 7.5 out and the boxer felt way to slacker for me, and it was way heavy feeling in the front. In the end I couldn't justify the extra money. In the end I test rode a 05 Stinky and fell in love. Sure it doesn't pedal quite as good as the DW, but for the money I saved, who cares.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I just got my IH sunday frame.

I've OWNED: kona stinky, intense M-1, santa cruz v-10, yeti asx, specialized enduro sx, titus quasi-moto.. and a few cross country/road bikes.

IH has stepped it up rediculously in the past two years. The design details on the Sunday are top notch, very well thought out, very well made.
From the cable routing, to the derailer hanger, to the anodized bearing caps, to the quality of the machinging.

I am very impressed.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Spokompton said:
IMO, screw Specialized. They are too over priced, and thier marketing makes it seem like no other bike is even 50% of thier stuff.
You're entitled to that opinion but specialized bikes are actually available and are prety damn sweet. Everyone makes bold claims in marketing. Or maybe you haven't heard the Iron Horse/DW buzz?

Spokompton said:
Consensus seems to stand that DW-link is much better than VPP.
Oh wait, nevermind, apparently you have. :p

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
I really like the iron horse bikes and im probably picking up either an SGS Pro DH or freeride in the future, but i must say that they rear suspension that they put on the yakuza kumicho, and 7point3 really sucks it feels horrible but a different shock would fix that. the higher end ones are so nice

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
adurham said:
I really like the iron horse bikes and im probably picking up either an SGS Pro DH or freeride in the future, but i must say that they rear suspension that they put on the yakuza kumicho, and 7point3 really sucks it feels horrible but a different shock would fix that. the higher end ones are so nice
So you're talking about the entire rear suspension, or just the rear shock? :confused: The shock on the 7.3 is a Progressive 5th Element 2 way - it's the same shock spec'd on the 7.5 and 7.7, but it just has less knobs, more of the adjustments are pre-set by the factory. I have one and can assure you, it does not suck (altho I wouldn't mind upgrading to a 6 way just to have a few more settings to play with).

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
adurham said:
the rear suspension that they put on the yakuza kumicho, and 7point3 really sucks it feels horrible
This doesn't make sense to me.

The Yakuza and the 7 point are two COMPLETELY different designs.

One is a single pivot while the other is a full floating rear end (ala dw-link). There really is nothing comparable that would make me put both of these bikes in the same class (other than intended use and manufacturer).

Saying they both feel like crap makes me wonder if the bikes you sat on were just set up wrong.

Especially if your talking about getting an SGH. A nice bike, but there is no reason why it would feel that much better.

Peteydag

Monkey
Sep 19, 2004
the FC
Ironhorse is good no matter what, cheap already proven suspension, and nice parts, my sgs pro is always solid as ****

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
just got my IH from performancebike.com .. used this coupon code 6001202 they got the Aniki and youll score 20% off with that coupon :eek: if you dont have to pay sales tax on it, youll get that chit for right aroud 800 shipped

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
yakuza kumicho, and 7point3 really sucks it feels horrible but a different shock would fix that. the higher end ones are so nice
wow have you even been around or seen these bikes. dude i work at a bike shop that sells mainly ironhorse rigs. first off all these are two different suspension setup. one is dw-ling (7 point) and one is a single pivot ( yakuza). next the shocks on the 7 point are made by the same company except different levels. 2way for the .3, 3way for the .5, and 5 way for the .7, and the yakuza comes with a fox shock. also the bikes were probly just setup to sit on the floor. those suspesion settings are meant to be changed by riders to suit there riding and weight. once you have bought the bike or while you are testing them in the parking lot, and you also have to remember that a parking lot test is nothing compaired to the trail. so before you make this accusation learn a little bit more about the product plz.

ohh and i found that on a 7.3 that putting about 5 more psi in the shock improved perfomance considerably. so next time try that.

static9

Chimp
Jun 17, 2004
Santa Cruz, Ca
I'd say the best place to pick up an IH is at Supergo. I've worked at a LBS for a while, and just moved to Supergo. I've pedaled it around a bit, and for under a grand, it's a sick deal, i would recomend it.

odiwik

Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
stoney98 said:
unfortunately vpp =/ DW link.
Thank you, try again.
I am saying that both suspension designs are tits with their floating rear ends. I have a VP-Free and love it for freeriding, and the Iron Horse would be awesome if I could afford two bikes. So defensive.... I suppose I will be more descriptive in the future for those of you that overinterpret fast responses. :dead:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I am thinking about getting an sgs fr bike. Is there any way to use a 1 1/8 fork or is there no way to get around the 1.5 headtube? It is hard to find a 6-7" 1.5 fork that is cheap. Is a sherman the only option? I wish there was a 1.5 z150.

ALso, I am 5'4; will a small fit me?

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
mtnbrider said:
I am thinking about getting an sgs fr bike. Is there any way to use a 1 1/8 fork or is there no way to get around the 1.5 headtube? It is hard to find a 6-7" 1.5 fork that is cheap. Is a sherman the only option? I wish there was a 1.5 z150.

ALso, I am 5'4; will a small fit me?
For all 1.5 headtube frames, you need a reducing headset to use forks with normal steerers.

SD_TMTB

Chimp
Jun 26, 2005
Raleigh, NC
The only bad thing about IH that I have heard was with the sgs freeride models having problems with the pivots, but I havnt heard anything bad about the new models. I also know somebody with the 7point7 and he hasnt had any problems. The only downside is that they are a little on the heavy side,but they're not too heavy by my standards.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
Ironhorse makes some solid bikes. I have 3 people (out of 5) in my regular downhill/freeride group that i ride with that ride SGS's. you really don't need to worry about the company...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
love the yakuza series but the rentals at mtn creek/diablo are hosed and the first thing to go was the air cart part of the fork or the floating brake. the bearings at the axle were wasted after a couple of weeks.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
iron horses seem ok but if you are a pretty good intermediate black rider, if i were you i'd go top end, no matter the price, i think their highest end bike would be a medium upper medium class bike ...i have spoken...