Quantcast

Ironhorse 6Point

AlCapone

Monkey
Apr 5, 2009
North Bend, WA
I found a great deal on a 2008 6Point frame that I'm thinking about getting. Right now I ride on a 2008 Kona Stinky. The trails I ride would be do-able on a smaller bike, and maybe easier. BUT I'm thinking about getting into racing. Would a 6Point be a good mini-DH/FR bike if build up correctly, but be decent for a beginning racer? I'm a fairly small rider (5'8" 145lbs).

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
The answer is yes. Although if you are know you want to advance in racing and be faster, and you have some dough to blow, I say buy a nicer bike your first time around, that way you don't have to do it over again. I wish I did that.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
great bike for just about anything!!! you can leave it stock, or if you decide to do some lite DH just change the shock to a 2.75 stroke and VIOLA! instant 7 point. Randall Scott also has quite a few pivot and linkage kits for these, so parts shouldnt be a problem.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
The Six Point comes with a 8.5 by2.5 shock so you could run a 8.75 by 2.75?
the frames come with a 8.75 by 2.50 dhxair, which you can swap with a 8.75 x 2.75 coil (or dhxair now that they make that size), giving more travel but with the same static geo numbers assuming the same fork. Original rear travel is 160mm (6.4 inches) and would go to ~175mm(6.8 inches) due to the lonnger stroke. Mated with a totem or similar fork it would be a pretty fun bike, probably really similar to the Kona you already have. I would save up some more money and buy a proper DH bike, and then go travel to some places with mountains and ride the crap out of the bike.

tfree120

Chimp
Jun 11, 2007
Towson
If you want a 6" bike with DH angles, get the 6 point and swap the stock shock for an 8.5" x 2.5".

I have one. It's good.
Did the same here with a Vivid. Drops the BB and slackens the bike. Its a fun but capable little bike. Corners really well. Not quite race worthy but is great for learning how to ride smoother.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Having owned and ridden a lot of "proper" DH bikes over the years, I am happy as a clam to have a low & slack 6" bike to ride everywhere.

BTW, did Nico not ride "proper" DH bikes?