Quantcast

Is anyone looking for a really nice dog?

So I've got this neighbor who has this 6 month old German shorthair retreiver, really cool dog, lots of energy and great as a family and hunting partner. The downside is my @sshole neighbor just sticks this dog on a leash and dissappears for days at a time. The poor lil girl just sits out there in the rain shivering to death because the coat she has is short haired. I'm not even sure if he's feeding it on a daily basis, let alone three square meals.

I'm getting really tired of it just sitting on a leash all day barking for attention, shivering to death and what not. If someone doesn't rescue this dog it will be a loss cause as it get's no love. I go out from time to time to say hello and give it some bones to chew on. I've even dragged my portable cage over and put a tarp over it so it has some shelter. The next day I went over to talk to him about the dog and he didn't even thank me for looking out for it. It was fricken shivering to death! It's been getting cold at night and I'm afraid this dog is going to either die because it's lonely, shiver to death, or not be able to be a family pet because of the abuse and neglect this fvckin' prick does to this poor dog. This isn't a mutt either, this is a $1,000.00 and then some, espcially because it has the rare color of its breed.

I'm getting to the point that I just might go over and cut the leash, take the dog and try and find a family that will look after it. Anyhow, I'm just wondering at what point is it legal for the dog rescuer's to come over and take the dog? I have a feeling that because it does get fed once in awhile, and that in now has shelter in the back that they can't do anything. I just hate to watch this amazing, sharp, inteligent and loving animal slowly whither away.

If that dog ends up dead because of neglect, rest assure the owner will get a swift beat down by your's truely.

Anyhow, anyone want a full bread german short hair retreiver?

Knobularlife

Monkey
Mar 26, 2002
Lakeweird,WA
NF please take that dog....I want to stomp the rat**** out of that asswipe.
Id take the dog but I have two beagles and a really small yard :(
Please keep us posted on this sad sad story.
GOD I want too kill this bastard!!!

Borregokid

Monkey
Aug 12, 2004
Cle Elum
Some people definitely shouldnt have dogs. We must think pretty much the same way. My neighbor has a dog that has lived its whole life on a leash-outside. It has a dog house and thats about it. His owner makes sure the dog is fed, but its rarely off the leash. I go over and visit with the dog a couple of minutes every day-he loves it. If your in King, Pierce or Snohomish County you might file a complaint with animal control. An Animal Control Officer would at least come out and investigate, the owner might get a warning. PAWS - Progressive Animal Welfare Society also looks into cases like this as well as the Humane Society. My guess is they would contact the owner and try to get him to give the pet up. Just a guess but probably someone at PAWS might be sympathetic to the situtation and could give you some advice.

I finally got a dog a three year old rat terrier from someone who had too many dogs.

Knobularlife said:
NF please take that dog....I want to stomp the rat**** out of that asswipe.
Id take the dog but I have two beagles and a really small yard :(
Please keep us posted on this sad sad story.
GOD I want too kill this bastard!!!
Yeah I'm fricken pissed!!! Everytime I go out to let me dog go to the bathroom it's just sitting upright looking at me and shivering to death. I just contacted a rescue agency and a fellow biker who I remembered was looking for a new riding dog. If I didn't live right next to this @sshole I would keep the dog myself. It's a really neat dog and would make for a great family, bird fowl, or biking partner.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
Geez, I wish I could take her! We rescued a very cool dog from a kill shelter up in Everett nearly two years ago, but we gave her to some friends because we work too much and she just sat around waiting for us to come home. I'd hate to do that to another dog. She was such a cool dog and had lot's of energy. I'm sad we gave her away, but she's so much more happy now cuz she went to live with two boys that adore her and wear her out every day playing with her.

I'll ask at work and see if anyone is lookign for a pooch. I say you just go over there and abduct her now.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Man, that sucks. Ive a good history of dog rescue. Currently I have 4 dogs... All rescues of some sort. They have a nice big yard, with an 800 dollar shed (that they sleep under, not in).

Some of my past history:

When i was a kid we had a dog just show up one day on our porch. It was pouring rain and my step dad was working on fishing nets. the dog was just walking down the street and stopped and looked at him (think big black lab mix with sad puppy dog eyes..). My step dad invited the dog up onto our pourch and he turned into the family dog. No one answered lost dog adds or called our# from fliers.

My mom has done the cut the leash and leave resuce, (but for you being a neighbor it could be risky, more so since youve confronted the guy already.) In the case of what my mom did... She was a painter and working in a rough area. The house next to where they were working had a mutt dog tied up that was on a very short leash. same deal, very nice dog, very bad people. Think they were sort of biker types and were always mean to the dog. Over a few weeks she had observed this happening. So on the last day there she cut him free and took him to the coast. He lived a good 5-6 years before he died of old age.

Another rescue ive been involved in was when we went to visit my Bro in law in Salt Lk City. He lived in these condos with 20x20 yards. His neighbor had a Siberian Husky that was left in the yard all day long. Dogs like this are very energetic, and she was going crazy, and didnt eat. My wife saw this and got very angry and confronted the people. Her brother said the people had mentioned they didnt want the dog anymore..... so my wife made arangments for them to fly the dog out to us. This was like 160+ bucks out of my wifes pocket just to bring the dog here. We didnt even have a home for her. But very quickly we had a friend who wanted another husky. She has had a very good home since.

I'd call animal control and see what they can suggest. Doccument the abuse. Take photos of the dog out in the cold. Or go cut her free and deal with the repercussions.....

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
GRRRRR.....I hate people who treat dogs like that!!! Either take care of it properly or give it someone who will :(

I had a neighbor who treated his dog in a similar fashion. Tied him up the tree in the front yard and bascially neglected him. The only thing animal control did was make him put the dog in the back yard with some "shelter". And then the jerk would let the dog off occasionally to just roam the neighborhood freely...what's up with that? Poor thing would come and sit on our porch so we'd take him in the backyard, give him some treats, and let him play with our pup. I'd also go throw him goodies over the fence occasionally. He just ate up the attention. If we didn't live next door I would have done the same as you were thinking and keep the dog myself. I was starting to plan the midnight capture of the dog and take it to a shelter, but one day he just disappered and I regret not getting him out of there before to make sure he got a good home.

Maybe if you just took the take her but make it look like the dog "escaped". If she has tags on the collar, take it off and say "oh look I found this loose dog". And if you can get her to a pure breed rescue (most of these have foster homes and do a good job of screening applicants, etc.). Just sucks that animal control can only make people give "shelter" do their dogs....what classifies as shelter sometimes is crap! Either way, best of luck....we already have 3 crazy mutts (one being a puppy) so don't think we could take another. Let us know what happens with the poor little girl...and if you can, give her a good Thanksgiving feast ;)

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
is there anyway you can find ou8t if the dog is fixed or has shots or anything like that?im interested in a shorthaired dog. im also assuming it is a she?

biggins said:
is there anyway you can find ou8t if the dog is fixed or has shots or anything like that?im interested in a shorthaired dog. im also assuming it is a she?
As much as I'd like to pay for shipping, I can't. I might be able to throw down a $20 but I just parted my bike for my surgery that I just had.

The dog is a purebred german shorthair pointer. It is two weeks older than my dog who is almost 7 months old. It's a female, and I'm almost positive all the shots have been administered. I'm not sure about the nudering... You'd be getting a $1000 dog for free, so if you were interested shipping costs are cheap in comparison. This dog responds to her name already so you might have to respect that aspect. She's very well behaved when I'm around her, and is just needing some major love. She would make for a great hunting dog, water fowl, and family pet. She also is light on the feet, its funny to watch her play with my lab as she just runs circles around him. SHe does this hilarious boxer type move where she comes in and swats my dog on the head with her front paws and bounces back in forth, it's the coolest thing I've seen a dog do while playing. WHat type of environment would she be going to?

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Like someone said before, if you're gonna take the dog just leave the collar and tags attached to the leash and make it look like the dog escaped. I don't know what info is stored on a "chip" implant (owner info?), but that might also pose a problem if the dog had one. If I were there I'd probably do the same and rescue the dog...

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
If you live with in 200 miles from me I will come and get the dog right now ,I live south east of portland Oregon ,and I have about a jillion acres and I love doggies

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
shocktower said:
If you live with in 200 miles from me I will come and get the dog right now ,I live south east of portland Oregon ,and I have about a jillion acres and I love doggies
he is in the seattle area. Might not be within 200 miles, but why not meet 1/2 way?

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Hey- I have drill this weekend at Fort Lewis (right next to McChord AFB), if you (shocktower) are serious I could pick up the dog on my way back home sunday afternoon and be in vancouver around 6 or so. You could meet me somewhere. I'd need to put the dog in a carrier or something since I'll be driving my girlfriend's car, but I don't see any problems with it. Anything to see this pup get a good home.

Edit- I could probably borrow a carrier from someone and just bring it up to drill with me, if this were to work out....

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
My parents have two of these dogs. I would kill to be able to take the dog off of your hands, but there is no way my landlord would allow it. Feeding the dog would take more money than I can afford as well. I too suggest calling the ASPCA. Explain the issues, suggest a course of action, and get this behavior documented. They will talk to the owner, and if things don't change soon, you will have a legal course of action. Keep in mind your touting a dog that costs more than $1000. I believe that theft becomes grand larsony (A FELONY) after $1000. I don't know about you, but I never want to have to use the second option on the follow application sentence: Check this box if you assure that you have never been convicted of a felony. If you cannot do so, please explain your felony on the lines provided below.

What people should know about this breed:
-They have ENDLESS energy. Being tied up must be driving the dog insane.
-My parents' dogs put in, on a light day, probably 40 miles of running. They do at least five times the distance I do when we go riding (my 20 mile ride to their century)
-They are GREAT riding partners, but expect them to dissappear for a bit in the fall and spring when birds are out in flocks. They will return to you with a finch-in-gums and what you'll swear is a smile on their face.
-They can be very skiddish (sp?), especially if they have been poorly treated in the past. Not a big problem though, just expect them to warm up a bit slowly.
-They are long lived (15 years is very common)
-They commonly have hip problems at old age... make sure you will have a decent job ($$$) in about 13-15 years.
-If you hunt, you already know, but they make amazing field dogs.
-They have a strong pack-sense. If you have other dogs, they will fit RIGHT in. If you don't, you should expect to be the pack (read: attention).
-THEY DON'T DO WELL IN EXTREME COLD AND WET CONDITIONS... SO THE !@#$%# NEXT DOOR SHOULD BE SHOT.

The @sshole should be shot! Yeah I don't know what I'm going to do, I had a few interested parties, but no follow through's. I'm not really wanting to chance a felony either. However this poor dog is such a cool pup (7 months) and is neglected from social interaction. It's got a man made dog house to retreat to and its set up on a "run" so it can run back and forth but it doesn't get any training, attention, or love. It gets fed (I think) once a day and when I hear it barking late at night I normally give it some food and water. It's constantly shivering and destroying things or diggin in frustration. . . .

I think if I documented things, it wouldn't do any good as it does get food once a day and it has a shelter to retreat to. But this @sshole treats it like its a husky malamute or something.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
zane said:
Hey- I have drill this weekend at Fort Lewis (right next to McChord AFB), if you (shocktower) are serious I could pick up the dog on my way back home sunday afternoon and be in vancouver around 6 or so. You could meet me somewhere. I'd need to put the dog in a carrier or something since I'll be driving my girlfriend's car, but I don't see any problems with it. Anything to see this pup get a good home.

Edit- I could probably borrow a carrier from someone and just bring it up to drill with me, if this were to work out....
Off topic, but you could also come see a nice shiny DHR frame on your way home. I can hear the guns from the fort out my back door.....

Y

yadadada

That's so horrible. I really hate people that don't take care of their dogs. My last two roommates had dogs and neither should have. The one had a beagle, but he was working 12 hour days and the dog never got excercise. He only took her outside long enough to go to the bathroom. I felt so bad for her and while I lived there I walked her a few times a day and gave her lots of attention.

I picked up a stray once (a gorgeous black lab pitt bull mix) and called all the shelters and pounds, but no one had reported her missing. The vet said she probably hadn't eaten in over two weeks. I couldn't keep her since my apartment only allowed one dog. I kept her for two days and gave her to a friend who had been looking for a dog, but was hesitant to get a puppy because of the training, and just ahdn't made it to the shelters yet. He met her,a nd took her home two days later. He is so good to her, and she's really spoiled now.

Tomorrow I'm adopting a yr old rescue from the pound. He's going to be put down on Friday if no one adopts him because he's been at the pound for a month. I went to see him today, and put him on hold so i had time to get food and toys and a collar and leash. I'm going to get him tomorrow morning. I'm SO excited. I'm never gone for more than four hours at a time, and I have a fenced in back yard, and my roommate's dog for him to play with. I can't wait! I got him treats too!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Might be better if you go through the proper channels. Contact your local Humane Society and tell them the whole story. They'll take it from there. It's what they do.