Quantcast

Is drilling another hole in a reciever hitch just a really bad stupid idea?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
dh girlie said:
also, you drill into your rack and god forbid something happen...SW will say, so sorry too bad...
this is the opposite way around: he's going to drill into the hitch and leave the rack unmolested.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Toshi said:
this is the opposite way around: he's going to drill into the hitch and leave the rack unmolested.

Ahh...ok...I guess I'm confused...sounded like the same thing that I dealt with after getting my rack...the idiots at the rack shop were like oh you could fold this up if you don't CARE ABOUT YOUR BUMPER getting dented! :thumb: So yeah...I opted to not force the rack into the up position and put a permanent dent in my bumper....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:
I uh-speck that you ain't to be gettin' business with yer fancy doctor learnin'... Leaches will cure whut ails ya.......
Ffft. Castor oil and a poultice of sheep poop and dead flies will work better.

J

JRB

Why not remove and redrill the rack further to the rear??? You can put the stabilizer in where you need it, and that huge ass tube from your hitch will provide the support.

*I have never seen one, so I don't know if it will work, but I would look into that option, if it were me.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
when he says "back into the hitch" visualize the trailer getting closer to the truck, thereby putting that pin on the top of the trailer tongue inside the reciever "sleeve" of the hitch so it can do its job, which is push UP against the inside wall of the hitch reciever, so there is no play between the two.

As for whether it would be safe, if anyone has ever worked with one of these hitches off and on a truck, you wouldn't worry as much. They are mega burly, and what you are doing is essentially like adding another notch in a belt, so you can tighten it more. You got plenty of extra space to put in another hole. And if you measure twice, dont hack it, you will be absolutely fine.

CL

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
"burly".... yep... and where do you draw the line? How much load does a 5000 lb trailer impart in a panic stop, on a gravel shoulder, rolling over a deer, dodging a moose and being attacked by flying monkeys?

Anyone? anyone?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:
"burly".... yep... and where do you draw the line? How much load does a 5000 lb trailer impart in a panic stop, on a gravel shoulder, rolling over a deer, dodging a moose and being attacked by flying monkeys?

Anyone? anyone?
23 unified zelkan force units when on concrete, 22 when on asphalt.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Westy said:
23 unified zelkan force units when on concrete, 22 when on asphalt.
i was thinking more like 2.71 Libraries of Congress per second over hectacres^2...

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
k. well tough guys like MMike can spend the extra $150 because he feels like he's smarter than everyone.

Real world folks, you will be fine. and if you're not, I'll buy you a new hitch.

and actually, the word was MEGA burly, douchenozzle.

CL

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
PATHETICFIDER Here`s a new idea sell the POS patheticfinder and buy a real truck :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: that seats 6 men and hold 8 bikes :D :D :D :D :D :D

J

JRB

So this pin fits in a slot, eh??? What are the chances that it will all line up to work, and with what hitches??? Seems like a stupid idea to me.

J

JRB

MMike said:
Jesus...people are sensitive.....

Drill away.

(I'm pretty sure I said I didn't care anymore...apparently even I don't listen to myself...)
Not sensitive. I just got it. The hitch pin thing just seems silly.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
clancy98 said:
k. well tough guys like MMike can spend the extra $150 because he feels like he's smarter than everyone.

Real world folks, you will be fine. and if you're not, I'll buy you a new hitch.

and actually, the word was MEGA burly, douchenozzle.

CL
Yes, you'll probably be 100% fine for drilling it and using the hitch for a bike rack ONLY. I wouldn't if there was the potential for pulling a trailer or a boat. $150 is not a lot of money, so there.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
you heard it here first...

BRIAN HCM#1 = also smarter than everyone else, in case you didn't pick up on the subtlety.

and he has more money than you. $150? Bah!

douchenozzle #2

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
MMike said:
Funny how a fabricator is more qualified than and engineer who designs welded structures made out of steel tubing....hmmm..... :think:
Because you don't make trailer hitches, and I do. I also wrench on SEVERAL WWII aircraft one holds the world speed record for propeller driven aircraft. When things I build and design were to fail someone has a REAL bad day. So put your college degree away. Purchased knowledge doesn't count.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
dhtahoe said:
Because you don't make trailer hitches, and I do. I also wrench on SEVERAL WWII aircraft one holds the world speed record for propeller driven aircraft. When things I build and design were to fail someone has a REAL bad day. So put your college degree away. Purchased knowledge doesn't count.

You're assuming I've never spun a wrench on a truck.....

I have plenty of scar tissue on my knuckles...

And (edit)IF(/edit)you can stand there with your hand on your heart and swear that under NO circumstances can the hitch be compromised by drilling holes in it, then that's groovy.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
MMike said:
You're an idiot
Wow i've been trying diligently to get your goat all these years, and this guy puts you over the edge by calling you..... douchenozzle? haha

back to the drawing board.....

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
MMike said:
I'm not wasting my time on an idiot.
you just did....

again.

still want the last word?

cuz you may not want your next post to say "I am not posting on this thread anymore. after THIS time I promise...."

J

JRB

Skookum said:
Wow i've been trying diligently to get your goat all these years, and this guy puts you over the edge by calling you..... douchenozzle? haha

back to the drawing board.....
What kind of goat does he have??