Quantcast

Is riding no-handed the new hipster fashion?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I noticed several times this month no handed riding along Mission and Valencia Streets, ground zero for hipster life.

Each time it was in the evening, and while not the heaviest traffic, not at all I would call safe for taking your hands off the bars. The Mission District does not slow down after dark.

Is this a style thing? Or has more bike lanes made riders complacent?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
With my single speed, I ride no handed on the bike path when I have a tail wind. My fat rolls act like sails and I can do 15mph while pedaling a 10mph cadence.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I ride no handed when commuting just because it is a little more comfortable when wearing a heavy pack. I always put hands on the bars when near another human being. I have noticed hipsters riding no hands in congested areas with marginal skill. I have vowed that if any of those douches runs into me I will mitigate the impact by greeting their throat with my elbow.

Last edited:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Wow... that IS a death wish. I lived on 18th between Gurerro and Valencia for many years (about 6 I think) and I would commute to work by bike all the time. I think that Van Ness is a much better route. Mission is the worst bc you have all the um... Crack heads, tweakers and hard core dopers stumbling about and walking into the street without looking.

Btw, is No-Name Sushi still over on Church near Market? Best underground sushi spot in town. Good quality and you get two rolls with each order instead of one. A few other places/things I miss are Shwarma and vegi plates at Ali Baba on 16th and Val, the Pakistani place across the street and the um.. porcupine balls (meatballs breaded/rolled in rice and deep fried) from Sunflower on 16th and Val.

:twitch:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I live on top of a big hill, in a city full of tall peaks. I like bombing down when I can, which is why I don't use a fixie, but a rigid steel 29er with disc brakes and fat slicks.

Even when I am cruising through the flat lands of the Mission, I am in full alert mode. The drunks, gangsters, and freaks are on foot, in cars, and on two wheels.

Obviously from my years of riding, I'm prepared for anything.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
damn.

i was a hipster when i was seven and i didn't know it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Btw, is No-Name Sushi still over on Church near Market? Best underground sushi spot in town. Good quality and you get two rolls with each order instead of one.
I think no-name is gone. Quality went down over the years. I ate there last in 2004... was not as good as I remembered.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
It has nothing to do with your years of riding, it has to do with how badass you are. Which is evident in the awesomeness of your posts when you talk about yourself.
Well, if you are calling me out in this forum, that does make you an Internet Badass.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Isn't it aweome to know your bike is atleast aligned enough to be able to ride no handed. I just like to do it is all. Bikes is fun in many ways. I just built an old Raliegh frame up. Campy and Suntour stuff I had. I was never so happy as when after it was built it rode no handed like it was on rails.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Well, if you are calling me out in this forum, that does make you an Internet Badass.

awwwwww don't let your panties get so bunched up, it's the internet and its serious bizness, plus it's not healthy, could cause you another yeast infection.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I'm pretty kickass because I rode no-handed on a trail last week... to tie my right shoe. right foot on top tube. *strut*

edit: and I just interrupted a great quote opportunity