Quantcast

Is Sram introducing the 1 x 12?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
As far as ranges wider than 10-42, many riders don't need that, but it seems to be location (and rider) dependent. For example, many riders in yurp want larger gearing ranges than US based riders. Apparently their climbs are quite steep, bit they still want to be cranking wattz at 40mph on the way down.
I think it is more about how to get to the trail head. In the US most people seem to take the car, in Europe people ride from home. This way you need taller gears for the way there and then a set of climbing gears.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Oh and the comment about fatbikes...I hated them, made fun of them, and publicly shamed friends who purchased them. Until I was handed a 25 lb fatbike this winter, changed my year in terms of getting some riding in. Super low gears really are needed when it's snowy out, I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Oh and the comment about fatbikes...I hated them, made fun of them, and publicly shamed friends who purchased them. Until I was handed a 25 lb fatbike this winter, changed my year in terms of getting some riding in. Super low gears really are needed when it's snowy out, I wouldn't have believed it until I tried it.
you need a low gear when you're pedaling tires that are under 15 PSI.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Just because you need a lower gear does not mean you need a bigger range. I want to see someone riding a FB with 32x9 gear in conditions when other bikes are unrideabru.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Your AARP membership card is in the mail! Present your card at any special-ed dealership and get 10% off an ebike of your choice!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Your AARP membership card is in the mail! Present your card at any special-ed dealership and get 10% off an ebike of your choice!
Wait a minute are you telling me you are cool with only have 7 or so months of riding up there in America's hat?

evil has a new fatty on the horizon...

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I think it is more about how to get to the trail head. In the US most people seem to take the car, in Europe people ride from home. This way you need taller gears for the way there and then a set of climbing gears.
So, if you ride from the house to the trail, how are you supposed to roll coal on the way there?? :confused:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I recently went from 26/36 to a single 30t ring, with 11-42 cogs. After one ride I'm not sure I'll stick it out. EVERYONE I know and ride with say to stick it out, it'll make you stronger, it's the way to go.
:rolleyes: Phffttt.

From the perspective of time spent, most of my rides are 75% climbing. Chainline blows in 30/42 and top end at 30/11 sucks. For what, to save less than a pound? I've never had a single issue with front derailleur/shifting. I mean, ever. Plus frankly I don't care if I get dropped on climbs.

The reason manufacturers are going to 46, 50 and whatever is next is there is a major flaw in the 1x ... it's a 1x.

Bikes are fucking awesome fun, but some manufacturers suck.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
^ I'm in crazy bad shape, so I roll the 30/11-42t. Hoping to leg up to a bigger ring soon, after my decade of east coast non-fitness is remedied.

Maybe try a 32+ in front with the 42rear?

Also, my chainline in 42t aint bad with the Raceface front ring (it offsets in a little bit).
My short cage Zee+ on the other hand...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
dunno...34 up front and 11x42 in back on my 34# 26" unrideabru bike gets me everywhere i need to go with no worries as long as i am in shape. and i felt like i was cheating a bit when i slapped the oneup onto my old 11-36 cassette...

Wait a minute are you telling me you are cool with only have 7 or so months of riding up there in America's hat?

evil has a new fatty on the horizon...
^^^^^^
this makes me so glad i chose to live where i do. year-round riding in minimal snow ftmfw.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I recently went from 26/36 to a single 30t ring, with 11-42 cogs. After one ride I'm not sure I'll stick it out. EVERYONE I know and ride with say to stick it out, it'll make you stronger, it's the way to go.
:rolleyes: Phffttt.

From the perspective of time spent, most of my rides are 75% climbing. Chainline blows in 30/42 and top end at 30/11 sucks. For what, to save less than a pound? I've never had a single issue with front derailleur/shifting. I mean, ever. Plus frankly I don't care if I get dropped on climbs.
You and me, kid - we should ride together.

I've got 99 problems, but a front derailleur has NEVER been one of them.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I get riding a fat bike in the snow and would probably be fun. But we don't get much show around here, yet I still occasionally see someone on a fat bike riding trails. That does not look like fun at all. Also those ridiculously wide tires tear up un-groomed singletrack.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
You and me, kid - we should ride together.

I've got 99 problems, but a front derailleur has NEVER been one of them.
I'm with you guys, FD on both of my rigs, no problems with either of them...for me I love being able to grind up steep, tech climbs around here and then have enough top end to not be forced to coast everywhere because of some stupid small front ring compromise. the whole "get stronger" argument is so lame, nothing to do with strength and everything to do with versatility.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Dammit. That's literally exactly what I want, only in 10s. 10-36 gearing would be ideal for me.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Pretty much my dream come true cycle. Snow so deep I don't even say the word 'bike' for 5-6 months.

Now get going. Those blue plate specials end at 5. You don't want to miss matlock. I'm not going to show you how to use the DVR again.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sram is trying so hard to kill the front derailleur because they can't figure out how to make a good one.

i bet it comes back in a few years. "You mean I can drop 150% in one click? Sign me up!"

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Pretty much my dream come true cycle. Snow so deep I don't even say the word 'bike' for 5-6 months.

Now get going. Those blue plate specials end at 5. You don't want to miss matlock. I'm not going to show you how to use the DVR again.
Definitely - snow is good... and so is putting the bike down for some months.

What isn't good is the rainy/sleety/grey mud-fest of pgh in the winter! :P

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
article i read on bike rumor they stated that sram has already disbanded their engineering group for mtb front derailluer development

Sep 11, 2015
I get riding a fat bike in the snow and would probably be fun. But we don't get much show around here, yet I still occasionally see someone on a fat bike riding trails. That does not look like fun at all. Also those ridiculously wide tires tear up un-groomed singletrack.
I also think fat bikes on dirt are stupid, but do they really tear up singletrack? How so?

Seems to me they would be less damaging. The weight of the rider and bike is spread out over a much larger area, thereby reducing the pressure acting upon the ground. Hence, why they are good for riding on snow.

Am I missing something?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I also think fat bikes on dirt are stupid, but do they really tear up singletrack? How so?

Seems to me they would be less damaging. The weight of the rider and bike is spread out over a much larger area, thereby reducing the pressure acting upon the ground. Hence, why they are good for riding on snow.

Am I missing something?
No you are right on, spring trails around here are in way better shape these days because of fat bikes smashing out ruts during the transition time.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
by that logic someone should make a bike with 12" wide tires just for trail maintenance.
someone hacked the lizard mainframe and aquired this spy shot of an extra fat e-bike laying down some flow trail:
image.jpeg

Edit: how many speeds you reckon this bad boy has?

Last edited: