Quantcast

Is there DH riding around Longmont?

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Sir, longmont is as flat as an eight year old catholic school girl. You'll need to drive west a few miles, and even then true, designated legal dh is not easy to come by in Boulder county. Sorry.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
surfinguru said:
Hey guys, I might be getting transferred out to Longmont for work. What kind of riding is out there?QUOTE]

Aaaaahhhhh haaa haa haa haa haa....

DH... in Longmont!? (Read: flat flat flat)

Longmont is a Gang Ridden Farm town that stinks of dead chickens and cow poop (when the wind blows from the east). Longmont has a few techy companies, but only because Boulder costs to much.

DH will require at least a 45 minutes drive with a long ride up hill. 1.5 hours if you have another buddy to shuttle (although we don't endorse shuttling in the front range trails). Otherwise, the resorts are about 1.5 to 2 hours away.

Longmont has become the place to live for those that cannot afford Boulder. And even then, its way overpriced for what it is.

If you do get transferred, live in Arvada, or something. You'll be closer to trails, and have a reasonable commute to Longmont.

Otherwise, why would you want to leave Santa Cruz? Thats a nice place.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Surfinguru, a little background here; the DH scene in the colorado front range isn't great. Proportionally, there is a small amount of recreational land for all the folks who want to play on it. Trails on public land are multi-use, and historically there have been conflicts amoungst trail users when riders start bombing down trails without yeilding right of way to hikers and equestrians. Shuttling these public trails is discouraged; it will only lead to the exclusion of bikes in those places. Many riders who love the descent, like Ascentrek and myself, trail ride on free-ride bikes, so that we can get our DH jollies in a fashion dictated by the conditions described above.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Renegade said:
Surfinguru, a little background here; the DH scene in the colorado front range isn't great. Proportionally, there is a small amount of recreational land for all the folks who want to play on it. Trails on public land are multi-use, and historically there have been conflicts amoungst trail users when riders start bombing down trails without yeilding right of way to hikers and equestrians. Shuttling these public trails is discouraged; it will only lead to the exclusion of bikes in those places. Many riders who love the descent, like Ascentrek and myself, trail ride on free-ride bikes, so that we can get our DH jollies in a fashion dictated by the conditions described above.

What is sad, even the people that 'earn their turns' or ride up as well as DH are just as bad. I chased two Boulderites on XC bikes not yeilding to a single hiker. I had it out with them in the parking lot.

Not to take this thread anywhere off the subject, but your Foes Fly if set up properly will take you to some great trails. White Ranch has some awesome DH trails if you can pedal to them, and out from them.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Renegade said:
Many riders who love the descent, like Ascentrek and myself, trail ride on free-ride bikes, so that we can get our DH jollies in a fashion dictated by the conditions described above.
Renegade,
We've got to hook up soon. I just ordered a 66SL for my Nomad. I can't wait to get it out. (Isn't that the fork you have? Let me know).

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Ascentrek said:
What is sad, even the people that 'earn their turns' or ride up as well as DH are just as bad. I chased two Boulderites on XC bikes not yeilding to a single hiker. I had it out with them in the parking lot.
Yup; idiots come in all shapes and sizes. IMO, your typical Boulder yuppie xc geek who exhibits no trail etiquette is his own worse enemy.
Ascentrek, yes, I have the 66SL. I still like it a whole bunch. It takes a long time to break in the bushings, so be patient during that time. Mine still has a little notchyness to it, but it is butta. An excelent choice for your Nomad.

Renegade said:
Thanks for the reply. Driving isn't so much of a big deal really. Just to get across town to my trails easily takes me 1/2 or more. We also ride alot of stuff up the pennisula that takes about an hour or more to get to. Depressing to hear that there aren't too many options though. North Star, our closest lift resort is a 4hr drive each way.

Don't get me wrong guys, I love Santa Cruz. It really is beautiful, but the cost of living here is just outrageous. There's no way in hell I can buy a house, have the family and maintain a decent quality of life here.

So with all those big ass mountains nearby, there are no quality DH trails?!?! Is it all Gov owned land or what? I'd think there has to be some land that is privately owned with some decent trails.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
There is lift-assisted riding at Keystone, Vail, and winter park ski resorts, within a two hour drive of the boulder/longmont area. That covers about three months of the year. Regarding the private property thing; there are a few folk who have attempted to build trails on small parcels of private land. Ridemonkey member Dream4est is still working a piece of land he bought as a commercial venture. Any private landowner has to worry about liability; if some rider gets hurt on his property, he can be sued.
Building/cutting trails on national forest land is illegal, and if it's done reasonably close to civilization, it will eventually be found by the F.S. Riders who have built trails keep them hush-hush; it's necessary if you want them to last for more than a season.
The xc trails around here do have interesting downhill sections; if you build up your Fly to be a pedaller, you can have fun here.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
surfinguru said:
North Star, our closest lift resort is a 4hr drive each way.
You'll be better off here. 2 hours from Longmont, or if you live near Golden area, just 45 minutes to Keystone.

surfinguru said:
Don't get me wrong guys, I love Santa Cruz. It really is beautiful, but the cost of living here is just outrageous. There's no way in hell I can buy a house, have the family and maintain a decent quality of life here..
I hear that! You should check out the area here first. The cheaper housing tends to be further away from the mtns. Eventually, you'll find a spot that meets your financial needs (although further away from the mtns).

surfinguru said:
So with all those big ass mountains nearby, there are no quality DH trails?!?! Is it all Gov owned land or what? I'd think there has to be some land that is privately owned with some decent trails.
There are tons of quality DH trails. Most are IN the mountains, which means you'll have to wait for a thaw. There is also Fruita and Moab that can be had during the winter, but even those aren't 100% DH trails. Vail is the bomb, Silverton is awesome, and Keystone is close for lift accessable DH.

The major issue is land that is close to the Denver / Boulder areas. most land is privately owned. The further back you get, the more government owned it gets. Not much BLM until you get to the western part of the state.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Renegade said:
The xc trails around here do have interesting downhill sections; if you build up your Fly to be a pedaller, you can have fun here.
what he said; a do it all burly bike is good here. when the lifts aren't running, or you have no shuttle options..... pedaling up is the only way. i'd love to have a bigger big bike, but it just wouldn't get enough use from me here, since i don't race.

having a bike that you can pedal uphill decently here is a key thing. i'm in longmont, and there is alot of very good trail, fairly close, not on the i-70 corridor that can be very fun on a bigger bike. the caveat is that yeah, ya gotta be willing to pedal up to get to the good downs.

Haplipe

Monkey
Feb 7, 2006
Arvada
its all good because im going to whistler in the summer so that will make up for the school. Plus were almost done with school. Brian are you going to Nathrop this weekend and is tyler living with u and your brother? I almost stole that 50 in your garage :rolleyes: No but we have to ride sometime or something

ride_fast

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
boulder, co
Brian, you and your bro gotta come ride some DH at my house some time. im shure TJ has told you about it. Shawn, you going to whistler like before deer valley and after crested butte? i think thats when im going, and nathrop will be sick this weekend

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Haplipe said:
It opens June 16. Lets hope other resorts open up ealier because im ready to ride some dh.
I hear that! I'm wondering if the snow will be melted by then! Wouldn't it be a hoot to ride Keystone DH by bike, and then do some skiing/snow boarding down the road on A-Basin?