Quantcast

Is this good photography?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I got bored tonite, so I went out with my (relatively) new digital camera and just took some random pictures of some of the dorms on campus. I honestly know nothing about photography, but I thought some of these pictures weren't half bad, so I figured I'd share 'em with y'all. Feedback is welcome, especially from real photographers (i.e. Derek Pearson, Motionboy, T-Pirate, et al). Enjoy!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
quadricolour said:
Looks like you could get the camera a bit steadier in some of those shots.
Yeah that's true. I had it on a "night mode" setting where it leaves the shutter open for a really long time, so the slightest movement blurs the picture. I think it's probably just a matter of getting used to the camera.

Sep 8, 2004
Hey,
Photography is an excellent hobby, just as spendy as bikes too!
Slower shutter speeds will create blurriness like that, unless you use a tripod or monopod. I'd suggest picking one up if you are gonna do a bit of night photography, sports, wildlife, nature, or pretty much anything. Especially if you get a long lens. The longer the focul length, the more it'll magnify the shakiness.
have fun though! you'll enjoy that digital, they are quite entertaining.

-James.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
What school is that? Man, that's some pimped out living arrangements.
Almost makes dorm living bearable.
I wish we had a pool for the dorms, is that pool on the roof?

cool stuff.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Definitly get an inexpensive tripod if you like your night shots. It's simply impossible to hold a camera perfectly steady for a long exposure.

I would avoid using the "modes" on the camera - go with a shutter or aperture priority setting and start learning what the different apertures and shutter speeds give you.

Pictures look cool, though :thumb: - keep it up!

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
DVNT said:
What school is that? Man, that's some pimped out living arrangements.
Almost makes dorm living bearable.
I wish we had a pool for the dorms, is that pool on the roof?

cool stuff.
University of California, Santa Barbara. And no, the pool ain't on the roof. That'd be cool though.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
I like the first one the most, its just more interesting then the others, not that they are bad its just really good...

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
As a rule, I dont like to critique others work. Mainly, because like art, photography is subjective. What one person may like, another may think is crap etc. I would definitley invest in a tripod if you plan on doing more night shooting ;) One thing you will discover though, is that as you take more and more pictures, your first ones will start to look worse and worse :) I look back at some of the stuff I was proudly displaying a couple years ago and cringe haha. Keep it up though, its a great thing to learn and grow in!!