Quantcast

ISIS BB tool??

hardtales

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
Tega Cay, SC
Most ISIS BB tools I see have teeth on the outside, which would seem to go into BB cups that have inner teeth. like this:

However, my BB looks like this (click image for a way-too-big version):

What tool do I need to remove this BB? Links to online stores appreciated...

Thx

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Yup, you may want to keep a hammer ready as well. Unlike FSA/RaceFace ISIS (the other style tool) interfaces, the slots on the TruVativ ISIS BB cups tend to develop lips from BB area impacts. You may need to tap the tool into the cup if for some reason it doesn't sit cleanly in one of the 8 slots. Be sure it's seated well because if it's not and it slips while your applying a fair bit of torque you can easily end up with a scar above your eye like me from a wrench slipping off a stripped BB interface.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
as a mechanic i gotta say just be careful removing your bb. make sure you get a good wrench for that too and make sure when you are giving it hell you don't let that wrench come off. wrench slipped off and i got a good face slam on the top tube. laughing at me ensued as i couldn't believe it happened.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Someday everyone will decide to use the same interface for BB's and my life will be better.

Every year I have to buy a new BB tool for a new bike and now my toolbox is getting heavy. Last year I had to buy 2 different tools!

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
BB tool tip:

Then really cranking on a BB cup, forego the ratchet interface. Put a bolt or quick release skewer through the tool and bottom bracket to hold the tool to the BB. Apply torque using the flats on the outside of the tool with a big wrench.