Quantcast

Italian Threaded Pedals??

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
So there is a guy locally selling a DeBernardi road bike for around $200.00 complete. It is older but from the photo and description looks to be in good shape. It has Campagnolo Record Strada labeled cranks.

Currently the bike is without pedals and the guy selling it said I'd need Italian threaded pedals in order to test ride it?

Is that so? Or could I just bring a pair of regular flats or my extra set of Atacs and slap them onto the bike to give it a go?

what say ye Roadie Monkeys?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Isn't Italian threaded 9/16 instead of 15mm? If so single piece BMX cranks are that size, grab some pedals off a crummy BMX bike.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Isn't Italian threaded 9/16 instead of 15mm? If so single piece BMX cranks are that size, grab some pedals off a crummy BMX bike.
Standard high-end pedals are 9/16" x 20. The 15mm is the usual size for the wrench flats.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
So there is a guy locally selling a DeBernardi road bike for around $200.00 complete. It is older but from the photo and description looks to be in good shape. It has Campagnolo Record Strada labeled cranks.

Currently the bike is without pedals and the guy selling it said I'd need Italian threaded pedals in order to test ride it?

Is that so? Or could I just bring a pair of regular flats or my extra set of Atacs and slap them onto the bike to give it a go?

what say ye Roadie Monkeys?
Never heard of italian pedal threads. Italian BB, yes. Pedals, no.

Looks like standard threading to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Campagnolo-Record-Strada-Crankset-170mm_W0QQitemZ330176526323QQcmdZViewItem

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
post some pics of the bike when you get it. I dig old school bikes

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
So all these technical answers - can someone point out to me some pedals that'll work with these cranks so I can test the bike??
I am saying the cranks use normal pedals that you already have. There have been some other pedal threads/pedals used on road cranks. This is not one of them.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I am saying the cranks use normal pedals that you already have. There have been some other pedal threads/pedals used on road cranks. This is not one of them.
Yep - figured that out too. I'm not sure what the seller was thinking then.......maybe he can be talked down on the price of the bike as well. We'll see.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
If this is right, then you should be fine:

*** Pedal threads: ISO English & Italian 9/16" x 20tpi, American & OPC (one-piece-crank) 1/2" x 20tpi, French 14mm x 1.25mm. ***

Shirley, they are not both right-hand threaded like an Italian BB.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've heard of french pedals being different but not eye-talian.

Sounds like he is confused. Maybe it's got an italian BB, or maybe he's thinking about an italian crank puller.