Quantcast

It's delicious, it's warming, it's homey, it's SOUP!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
In my constant struggle to find a well balanced lunch idea that doesn't make me wanna snack in the afternoons...I'm finding that a bowl of soup, stew, or chowder really does me good...

I've been taking either a can of soup to work every day for lunch, or bringing in a large container of home made stuff to eat throughout the week..

So lets hear it for soup! What are some of your favorite kinds?

Here are some of mine:
Cauliflower Soup (gleaned from my boyfriends list of family recipes)
Mushroom Soup (gleaned from my boyfriends list of family recipes)
Tomato-Clam Soup (gleaned from my boyfriends list of family recipes)
Minestrone (Healthy Valley Organic Soup - canned)
Potato Leek (same)
Chili (Amy's Spicy Chili - canned in the Health food section)
Butternut Squash (comes in a box in my Health food section)
Beef & Barley Stew (from my momma's teachin)
Lamb & Barley Stew (yummm! found the recipe online and it's delish!)

Course I always follow my lunchtime soup up with some kind of fruit - today my orange tastes a bit sour :(

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
GUMBO

My wife's parents are from Nawlins (New Orleans for you "Nawthanas") and I got the best Figgin Gumbo recipe from her mom.

I usually make about 3 gallons worth per batch and freeze a bunch.

:drool:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I really like corn chowder. I make a killer version with fresh corn, bacon, potatoes, and just a little cream. Just before serving I float a few shrimpies in it. Yum, not as heavy as it sounds. If there's any left over I cook it down, add some parm, and use it as a pasta sauce. Double yum, but yeah then it gets kinda heavy...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I've got a bay scallop, leek, and rice soup that sounds mightly tasty.

The only problem is that I haven't tried to make it yet. I'm sure it will be great though... :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
OGRipper said:
I really like corn chowder. I make a killer version with fresh corn, bacon, potatoes, and just a little cream. Just before serving I float a few shrimpies in it. Yum, not as heavy as it sounds. If there's any left over I cook it down, add some parm, and use it as a pasta sauce. Double yum, but yeah then it gets kinda heavy...
corn chowder is about the only soup i've ever made. i recall taking about 8 ears of corn, and pureeing half them. used bacon, maybe some onion, potatoes and some milk (maybe some half-n-half or light cream too). i can't remember all the details except for the fact that it was delicious.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
narlus said:
corn chowder is about the only soup i've ever made. i recall taking about 8 ears of corn, and pureeing half them. used bacon, maybe some onion, potatoes and some milk (maybe some half-n-half or light cream too). i can't remember all the details except for the fact that it was delicious.
Yep good stuff. Fresh corn, just a little stock, little butter, bacon onion potatoes, 1/2&1/2 at the end, good stuff. Shrimp or lobster really raise it to another level.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
McGRP01 said:
Not a soup, but I made a killer beef stew last night!! Mmmmm!!! Nothing warms yer insides like a big bowl of BEEF STEW!!!
Damn. We had beef stew night before last. :drool: And the night before that my wife made a pot of tortilla soup. Mmmmmm..... chipotle peppers in adobo sauce...... :drool:

-S.S.-

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
chicken noodle is the only soup i can stomach. liquid meals kinda weird me out for some reason. over the summer...in Zion, i believe, a rider's mom made us Gumbo for dinner one night. i had just gotten done attempting to ride in Virgin, and gumbo was not what i wanted for dinner. went to be kinda hungry that night.

the same mom wouldn't let me shower in her hotel room, despite my bloody, dirt covered arm, but she let the 3 girls shower there. that pissed me off.

Crazy Sweeper

more COWBELL!
Jun 4, 2004
In a box
Not sure if it really counts as soup but I like making taco soup. I've got the recipe at home I'll post it tonight. It's extremely easy (takes about 20 mins). My old boss got the recipe when he was on weight watchers. It's very healthy and it's loaded with fiber. Will post the recipe tonight or tomorrow.