Quantcast

It's... it's ALIVE!

Feb 8, 2007
You're not the boss of me.

Kidding. I know it's a wee long. I always leave some extra stearer on the initial build until I'm happy with the overall feel. (Stem height and what not.) Just gotta be careful not to impale on the first ride.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i still can't believe how many people are buying the bottlerocket, transition must be loving it. not only do they have an awesome job and live in a beautiful place (somewhat near Whistler I might add), but they are now the proud makers of the most popular frame around. I saw one today outside of Noah's Bagels and it made me want one amazingly bad, I think I'll get one, the question is, how many other frames like it will be around when I actually get together the money and reasons to buy it?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Im almost trying to talk myself out of getting one. I feel like with all the praise the frame is getting it is almost too good to be true. Right now Im trying to weigh all the alternatives. (Reign X, Nomad, Preston, Blur 4x, SX and so on...)

Feb 8, 2007
Yeah, a Blur 4x was my second choice.

I almost didn't buy the BR because all the hype. Don't get me wrong - it's one of the funnest bikes I've ever ridden - but certainly not a magic pill. It's just a bike. A quick, flickable, beefy but nimble little missile bike. And it's probably not for everyone. I'd say exactly the same about my Imperial. Many would scoff at the fact that these two are my do-it-all bikes, which consists primarily of singletrack with some climbs. But whatever. I've owned several traditional XC/trail bikes and they're not as fun as these unconventional new breeds.

Feb 8, 2007
Lyrik U-turn coil 115mm-160mm
Fox DHX 5.0 coil
Mavic EX 721 rims
Rear XT hub
Front Marzo hub
Sram 7.0 f/r der.
Sram SX5 trigger shifts
Sram cassette
Answer ProTapers
ODI Rogue lock-ons
Juicy 5s 185mm f/r
XT crank (32/22) w/e.13 bash
Wellgo MG-1 pedals
Thomson stem
Thomson post
Selle Flite Ti saddle
FSA Orbit internal headset
Intense CC 2.25 tires
Vinyl die-cut letters from OfficeMax

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
How many people on here have a BR and an Imperial? I could have sworn Ive read at least two other people saying they had an imperial and a BR. As soon as I man up and call Transition I can be added to that list. I just cannot bring myself to sell my Imperial.

On a similar note, how does the BR ride/feel in comparison to the Imperial?

Feb 8, 2007
How does the BR ride/feel in comparison to the Imperial?

Really depends on the build of each. My BR and Imp are similar -both are 2x9 w/ 26" wheels, long travel SC forks, 50mm stems w/zero rise.

I was going to street pimp my Evil, but after putting a front der on it, it's just too much fun on the trail. Both bikes are slack and beefy. They definitely like going down more than up. I don't mind the awkward climbing angles on either - it's worth it to fling them around on the way down. The BR climbs better while in the saddle because your arse isn't directly over the rear hub, but as you know, that seat tube angle makes manuals really effortless on the Imp. Both rail. Both love the air. To me, they are the perfect FS/HT combo to have in the stable.

I rode my SS XC bike yesterday, and it really reminded me of how quick and nimble the BR and Imp truly are.

Feb 8, 2007
Love the Lyrik. I've ridden it all settings, and while the fork itself still feels good no matter the travel, it starts to feel too steep at about 130. For local trails, I keep it about 145. But at 160, it feels lovely. Still tinkering, but so far I like at with the low speed comp wide open, and the high speed comp about 5 clicks in, and rebound about 25% from full fast. The floodgate is a nice feature and works as promised, but I haven't felt the need for it.

I am a little concerned that the travel seems to be "sunk" a little. While static w/ no rider, in full travel setting, the "160mm" on the fork sits just below the seal (pic). I've heard about this happening on the 2-steps, but not the coils. It feels fine though and I can't bring myself to deconstruct my brand new build because of it.