Quantcast

i've got another boxxer question

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
It seems like the only reason I post is to ask for advice on my fork. Well...did the black box job today (on an 03 team which has been bastardized into an 04 looking WC) and I've run into a snag. All went well as I replaced the base adjuster and 3mm drilled out the compression. The problem is it tops out like a champ when ever I lift the front wheel off the ground - real fast with a hard top out. I didn't have a way to measure oil height so I did RS's recomendation of about 200cc in each leg. I've gotten home and measured height and it turns out to be 110 in the rebound and pretty low on compression at around 150 or so. So, is this low oil on the compression whats causing this or can anyone think of any thing else. I've also noticed rebound is hella faster than before even though I'm using 10 wt instead of 7 wt pre-drilling. Thanks for any advice.

oh, as a heads up. Don't get brake fluid on the platinum lowers of the 04 world cups - as it caused little bubbles in the paint where my bleeder barfed all over my fork.

-peace

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
So then are you saying that if the bike is just sitting there, with nothing compressing the suspension, that if you pick it up the fork extends some more, topping out loudly? Sounds like missing parts and/or not enough oil. Missing parts would make it extend, and not enough oil would make it louder.
An easy way to make sure you have enough oil is to look inside the fork with it compressed all the way and make sure that both dampers are covered. This won't tell you if it is 'correct', only that you have enough.

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
Fast reboung is a definite sign of low oil. I'm not saying that is for sure the problem, but I would check that first. Without oil going through the rebound damper, the spring is allowed to rebound at its natural rate. With the proper oil level it controls the speed of the spring when it rebounds.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
with too low oil then you should be able to feel a point where the valve no longer has oil passing through it and from there on it rebounds a lot faster.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
on the rebound side, the levels are fine. 110mm - 115mm are is where I've been running it since I did my first oil change. It doesn't top out from a static position, its when I lift the front end while the bike is weighted - as in hopping or lifting the front end over something. there is adjustment, just from fast to damn thats fast - kind of the feeling my 00 boxxer had before I showed it some love. The compression stroke feels good, but the reboud is sure not like it was. The oil IS low on the compression, but I would think this wouldn't affect the rebouding of the fork. I've got to get more oil as I killed my supply with this job - so I'll tear it apart again before next weekend and hopefully realize that all my schoolin' taught me how to not follow a schematic correctly - I did get my degree from UT. I just hope I didn't screw my fork up because I'm getting to the point where I have the time to ride with some consistancy.

-my degree also taught me how to spell like a retard at 1:30 in the morning.