Quantcast

I've Got Wood!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I spent all week restoring the 107-year old fir floor in our new house. I spent an entire day running the sander to get the old varnish off and smoothing the floor. You can still tell where someone, who knows when, had rugs down in the dining room and foyer. In spite of sanding to bare wood, the wood that would have been under the rugs is still lighter than that around it, but I'm pretty happy with the end result.

Before:
dining room

living room

foyer

After 2 coats of penetrating sealer and 2 coats of satin finish:

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
It's an old floor, it's not worn, it has developed character.

I love old houses, but the upkeep it tremendous. Nothing is square/true, studs aren't where you expect them to be, etc. But there is nothing like the craftsmanship that went into building an old house.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Looks awesome man. What else do you have planned with your new house?
-Fresh paint for every room
-Vinyl kitchen floor is coming up then we'll either finish the wood with sealer and floor paint or ???
-Gutting the bathroom to replace the plaster with bathroom-specific sheetrock, new tile
-Restore antique clawfoot tub
-Remove carpet from stairs and upstairs hall, then restore wood on stairs and entire second level

The list grows daily

neanderthal

Monkey
Mar 1, 2005
Pittsburgh
Looks great! Since your flooring is over 100 years old, I'd wager a bet that it came from old growth lumber. If you were to buy flooring today made from old growth lumber, it would cost megabucks.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Those look great!

I hope to rip the nasty carpet out of my house some day and have something more like that. Our floors are only about 80 years old, but look to be in ok shape under the motel carpet the PO put down many years ago.