Quantcast

Jezken MkI Prototype DH Bike

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
G'day everyone,

After a solid year of juggling uni/work/riding and the project we finally finished MkI prototype we took it to Stromlo, Canberra to exhibit at the World Championships, we had a great weekend but on the way home thanks to a large kangaroo we had a major car accident - rolling 3-6 times. The bike was snapped in two, I have a broken arm, Kendal's car is a write off and we were all lucky to escape with our lives.

I'm absolutely devastated as a lot of our time has been put into this project - particularly last 2.5 months. However we will be repairing and rebuilding once we get on top of the pile of Uni work we have. Hopefully by Christmas. Anyway here is a pic of it and there are a whole lot more on our website:

http://www.jezken.com

I will post up geo. and lots of build pics on the website over the next few days so if ur interested stay tuned...also I've want to put out a big thanks to Ken from Tekin Suspension for his time, effort and parts....

Also weight is 19.6kg/43.2lb.

Last edited:

TomBigmac

Chimp
May 31, 2009
Considering the build then that is heavy. My guess is that the frame must be 14lb even with a Ti Spring.

However, it looks awesome, gearbox is the future of downhill in my eyes and that design looks nice, has the weight in the right place and I'm guessing is pretty quiet. The problem is shifters, twist shift right?

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah the swingarm is super stiff and has a lot of weight to loose, also it has straight wall tubing. Your right the COG is real low so it feels good. It is weird how quiet it is to - I haven't ridden anything like it... Yeah it has twist shift which is a minor issue it's only a matter of time for alternatives to be developed...

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
when you take into account that the above frame is prototype #1 43 pounds is not bad. I'm willing to bet when we see #2 it will be closer to 40.

Great work guys. Stay safe.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I must have a pretty twisted mind since I find comedy in the name "Jezken"

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yeah the swingarm is super stiff and has a lot of weight to loose, also it has straight wall tubing. Your right the COG is real low so it feels good. It is weird how quiet it is to - I haven't ridden anything like it... Yeah it has twist shift which is a minor issue it's only a matter of time for alternatives to be developed...
Twist shifter owns...

No bashing unless you have tried it for downhill use.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
awesome lookin bike, im sorry your piece of work got mangled in the accident! that really sucks, all that time and work in it and its just gone. keep your heads up and get #2 out on the trail!

Dennis

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
Looks awsome, that swingarm would be as stiff as hell. Got any photo's of the aftermath?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
sorry to hear about the car accident - heal fast and good luck w/ the rebuilding. Great looking bike there.

Foxbat

Chimp
Aug 14, 2008
Portland OR
Great looking bike! And people keep telling me its dangerous riding DH... Seriously, all the best recovering and I look forward to seeing the next iteration. :thumb:

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
I'll take a hit on overall weight in order to reduce the unsprung weight on the rear end significantly.

Move weight from the worst spot to the best spot? Sign me up! Even if it does weigh 1 or 2 lbs more.

I hope the technology gets to a point where I can have a light duty 6 inch travel bike with little unsprung weight and all the gearing tucked into the front triangle. That would be a huge plus for performance.

Last edited:

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
Looks awsome, that swingarm would be as stiff as hell. Got any photo's of the aftermath?
I'll sort some out eventually and post them up...

Nice looking bike! Out of interest, how much did the gear box set you back?

Thanks
I didn't purchase directly from Universal Transmissions and it was a year ago so the price wouldn't really mean much...

Thank-you all for the encouraging comments.

RUFNUT

Chimp
Jul 19, 2009
Ozz
Bike looks good mate you have put a lot of thought into it. Like the shock drive and the ajustable drop outs. Light for a first build.
Hope the arm heals up well.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
GUTTED!!! thats a bummer mate... I spoke to you about that bike for about an hour in canberra. The yank with a sleeveless flannel and an american flag bike.

Werent you just about to take that thing to whislter for some stress testing soon?

jeremy_2640

Monkey
Oct 4, 2007
Melbourne
GUTTED!!! thats a bummer mate... I spoke to you about that bike for about an hour in canberra. The yank with a sleeveless flannel and an american flag bike.

Werent you just about to take that thing to whislter for some stress testing soon?
Yeah buddy I remember you...killer flanno...I'm pretty devastated, I can't do any repair/rebuild work till my arm is out of a cast...I'm still planning on getting over to whistler next year tho :)

Bike looks good mate you have put a lot of thought into it. Like the shock drive and the ajustable drop outs. Light for a first build.
Hope the arm heals up well.
Cheers Calv...when I'm healed up we'll have to go for a ride...

and if any of you are interested this is what happened to the car:

and skippy (the little mongrel is sticking his tongue out too)

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Was that an Isuzu Rodeo? Those things have terrible crash ratings. If so, at least now you can get something a bit safer!

Fred.dh

Chimp
Feb 16, 2006
Brazil
man! that was nasty!!!!!! good to hear that you are ok...in one piece!! and.. AMAZING work on bike... clean beauty and light! share some photos later!

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Nice to see a new bike without the hydroforming tubes. It looks legit.

The chain going thru the swingarm is a really unique touch.